Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/27/2009 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Picked up a Rock Island 1911 for Christmas

Just finished field stripping and cleaning it. She's beautiful. This is my second gun, with the first being a S&W MP9 I got for my wife.

I'm excited, and can't wait to break her in. I'm curious what people would suggest for cheap ammo for the break in. I'm hearing somewhat positive reviews on Blazer and American Eagle, but wanted the opinion of some bullies.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 2:06am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on the purchase! I love my RIA 1911 like I never thought I would, and that's mostly down to how much quality I got for my money.

My pistol has only had Winchester USA 230gr. ball through it so far (not counting a CCI shotshell), but I can't say whether it's more or less "dirty" than other cheap ammo. I have heard plenty of good things about Blazer, and the only time I fired American Eagle was in a rental gun. I have also heard nice things said about Remington UMC, and I've picked up 100 rounds of the 230gr. JHP load for break-in purposes (with defensive potential if I use up my lone box of Golden Sabers). Following the "I've never used the stuff" theme, I have heard that Magtech makes good range ammo.

****, I just remembered something. Look under the foam in your pistol case for some paperwork and an envelope with spent casings in it (can anyone tell me why they're included?); you will find a postcard telling you to join The M1911 Pistols Organization (or 1911 Forum) for a discount (up to 10%) on ammo from Advanced Tactical Firearms International Corporation (this is the Armscor .45ACP 230gr. ball, which is said to be very good, as sold by ATFIC).

If I had any use for ball ammo, I'd use that discount to buy plenty of the Armscor load or get a "Shootin' Size" box of Magtech.
    Last edited by Robstafarian; 12/28/2009 2:09am at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are states such as Maryland that require that each firearm be shipped with spent casings from that specific firearm so that it can be recorded in their "Ballistic Registry."
    In Virginia, you can just throw those in a coffee can against your inevitable descent into reloading. Your government won't be asking for them.

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Clown of Bethlehem View Post
    There are states such as Maryland that require that each firearm be shipped with spent casings from that specific firearm so that it can be recorded in their "Ballistic Registry."
    Ah, so it's the baby footprints for an IBIS birth certificate :new_birth

No, I will not name my 1911...not even something in Tagalog.

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 12:48pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will always kick myself for not getting one of those when they were $250.

My brother picked up a customized one that shoots like Anderson Silva throws punches.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It kind of looks bored and lackadaisical?

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 1:12pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pictures of your Rock Island 1911?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 4:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    Pictures of your Rock Island 1911?
    I may get those in a bit, but it's a classic GI looking on. I'm not a fan of the polished wood grips, and will probably change those out as part of my inevitable slide into customizing the 1911, but for now its plenty sexy.

IE: Your thread on the Rock Island was part of my initial research into the gun. I remember seeing it at my BX as the cheapest 1911 available, and figured that at such a low price, something must be wrong with it. The more I read, the more great reviews I found, and I can't wait to take it out shooting now.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 10:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I may get those in a bit, but it's a classic GI looking on. I'm not a fan of the polished wood grips, and will probably change those out as part of my inevitable slide into customizing the 1911, but for now its plenty sexy.
    I recommend the wrap-around grip (with finger grooves) made by Hogue; it has made my 1911 feel ridiculously more secure in my hand.

On a related note, I am seriously tempted to install a rubber coated grip safety (made by Pachmayr) to add even more rubber to the equation.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/29/2009 3:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a bad deal. I've found some checkered wood ones that would keep the GI style, but at about 3 times the price, so I might get the hogue if grip becomes a serious issue, and save for some prettier grips if I find myself carring. Thanks for the link.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast