pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/26/2009 8:38pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FMA music

I've always been a fan of music in escrima training. In some of the Dog Brothers videos, Marc talks about doing certain drills to salsa music, and the fights at the gatherings are accompanied by some drummers (which I really think adds something important). The beat is something that is good for establishing a rhythm. I have a good selection of Latin music (my favorite is Buena Vista Social Club and Carlos Montoya), but there's other types of music that fit in well with the rhythm of things. Since I quit the school where I've been training, I've been on my own, working mostly on functional fitness training, and I've shifted towards using fairly heavy Indian clubs often, which have a slower pace than shorter sticks or blades, and I've found some music that suits the work well, Lately I've found this band pretty interesting to train to:
    YouTube- GENGHIS TRON - BOARD UP THE HOUSE - VIDEO - FULLY EDITED!
    Does anyone have any music that they like for their FMA training that they'd like to share?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2010 4:40pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2010 2:43pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its interesting that you use salsa music in your stick training. I like to dance salsa and so I love the music anyway. I would never have thought to do it, but I can see how it helps with rhythm for FMA, though I have had fleeting thoughts that the rhythm in salsa (or other latin music) is great for developing a stickfighting cadence. I know you mentioned you had a good selection of latin music. some of my personal favorite artists include:

la india, hector lavoe, celia cruz, ruben blades, william colon