Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 3:40pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ronin Judo, Toronto

Aliveness
    There is usually at least 15 minutes of newaza (ground grappling) and 15 minutes of randori at the end of each adult or children's class.
    Equipment
    Tatami mats are laid wall to wall and 1 metre up the walls too. They are cleaned and disinfected regularly.
    There are loaner judo gis for newcomers and kids. They even get washed from time to time.
    There is no other equipment to speak of.
    Size
    It's relatively small, but it is a dedicated space. So we don't neet to take up the mats except for the occasional dojo clean-up. But be forewarned - it is not the Taj Mahal. It's just a dojo, and a spartan one at that.
    Ratio
    Elmer, the head instructor or one of the black belts teaches every class. There are usually at least 2 BBs on the mat for adult classes. Class size is usually around 10 - 12 students
    Atmosphere
    To quote the dojo review instructions, it's a "bizarro hippy ass beating love fest". Visiting other judo dojos is encouraged. As is cross training in other sports/arts. Elmer knows all of the other judo instructors and will gladly recommend a dojo that better suits your goals.
    Striking
    Nope
    Grappling
    I don't know whether to rate this a 6 of an 9. Most of the members are recreational players, which would indicate a 6. There's not a specific competition team. Members compete where and when they feel like it. But certain members have had serious competition success - one of the BBs recently won silver in the unlimited weight class for her age group at the PanAm Masters. So I rounded down to 8.
    Most higher coloured belts cross train in BJJ. New visitors with BJJ experience typically do pretty well against those that don't cross train.
    Weapons
    Nope
    Other
    Sumo on Thursday nights
    Women's class on Mondays
    Based on the recent visit by Sensei Jay Brooks of Boston, I'd have to admit that our conditioning might bee a tad lacking.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    12/27/2009 4:25am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know much about Judo, but is 40 mins of total alive time enough? I have been at three judo clubs and we spent at least 1 hour on randori and nazewa. One of the only spent about 20 minutes on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 11:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I don't know much about Judo, but is 40 mins of total alive time enough? I have been at three judo clubs and we spent at least 1 hour on randori and nazewa. One of the only spent about 20 minutes on it.
    Good question. If a class is 90 minutes or so (they usually run longer), how does it get divide up? Probably something like:
    10 minutes warm up
    10 minutes break falls or similar drills
    30 minutes technique instruction, ukemi, or similar
    That leaves 40 minutes for newaza and randoori

what do you leave out to have more alive training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2012 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a thread bump of the review...

there haven't been womens' classes for some time.
    Monday nights are Sumo, then Judo
    Tuesday is newaza class
    Wednesday is kids class then adult class
    Thursday is sumo
    Friday is kids class then adult class
    On weekends, there are kata classes and competition classes, but I don't know the details