Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2009 4:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA Spotís Best Of 2009: Knockouts

1) Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping (UFC 100)

During the filming of "The Ultimate Fighter: US vs UK", a heated rivalry began brewing between coaches Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping. The build-up of the feud was put into living rooms across the country leading up to UFC 100 in July. Henderson, who had been open about his distaste for Bisping while filming, got his revenge on the biggest stage in UFC history. Henderson dominated the first round by cutting off the Octagon and making Bisping circle dangerously toward his power hand. The second frame saw more of the same, only this time Bisping would not hear the closing bell. After feigning a leg kick, Henderson landed a crushing right hand on Bispingís chin that turned the Britís lights out entirely. Adding insult to injury, Henderson then followed Bisping to the ground with a diving punch reminiscent of professional wrestling, and earned what was, by far, the most brutal knockout of the year.

2) Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski (Affliction: Day of Reckoning)

In what was a clash between the two top-ranked heavyweight fighters on the planet, Fedor Emelianenko proved once again that he is indeed the greatest heavyweight of all time. As story played out at Affliction's "Day of Reckoning" this past January, Andre Arlovski used his superior boxing skills to frustrate Emelianenko early on, keeping ĎThe Russian Experimentí on his heels for the first three minutes of the fight. After landing a powerful straight kick which pushed Fedor into the corner, Arlovski attempted to follow with a flying knee. Fedor had had enough at that point. While Arlovski was still in mid-air Emelianenko landed a thunderous overhand right which sent ĎThe Pitbullí crashing to the mat face first, in one of the most visually stunning knockouts in MMA history, at 3:13 of the first round.

3) Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans (UFC 98)

Without a doubt, now UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, Lyoto Machida had a banner year in 2009. Riding high off a devastating first round knockout victory of previously undefeated Thiago Silva, ĎThe Dragoní met Rashad Evans at May's UFC 98 and added another victim to his win column. After controlling the action in first round, dropping Evans, Machida proved that his "elusive" style did not simply mean backing away. The champion came out for blood in the second frame, absorbing no damage, while repeatedly tripping and dropping Evans. Machida ended the fight when he landed a devastating combination of punches that sent Evans crumbling, unconsciously, against the cage and to the canvas at 3:57 of the round. The "Machida Era" had begun.

All Ten Knockouts: MMA Spot - MMA Spotís Best Of 2009: Knockouts
    Fedor with two KO's in the top 5.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/23/2009 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He deserves it. Glad to see Smith's KO of Cung Le up there.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    12/23/2009 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marquardt-Maia anyone?

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 1:07am

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny, I just watched the Cung Le fight right now. I'm just shocked by the KO. Scott Smith really lived up to his ring name. Caught Cung Le right under the ear.

Good list. Some crazy KO's this year.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 1:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No Marius Zaromskis over Jason High on that list?That is one of the cleanest KO's i've seen.

Pretty good list otherwise with the exception of number 6 which while it looked cool was a TKO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 11:45am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm peeved Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago isn't up there. much more spectacular and unexpected than Smith's KO IMO.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That KO wouldn't be half as much fun without Koscheck's fro wobble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good list. I didn't see many of them, so it's nice to be caught up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2009 12:41am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk View Post
    i'm peeved Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago isn't up there. much more spectacular and unexpected than Smith's KO IMO.

I think the Smith vs Cung KO was there because it was the more unexpected one.

Kos's striking has improved, but I didn't think its become phenomenal.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2009 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, just as likely that they wanted to avoid having a large majority of UFC matches on the list.

Although to be fair, I think we can all agree that what Marquardt did to Maia was a nastier KO than most of those, with the possible exception of Fedor/Arlovski (AA lying there like an eyes-open corpse was creepy) and of course Henderson/Bisping, which rightly comes in at number 1.