Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2009 9:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ear Guards for Women/Long Hair?

Would anyone know where to get good earguards for women/long hair. Preferably one that covers the whole head.

You can check out this video with Leticia Ribiero wearing something like what I'm talking about. It would be great if I could find that particular one. You can see it at 3:51 of this video:

YouTube- Leticia Ribeiro

I found this, which is a cover but I'm looking for something that has everything all in one. Don't think the link on the bottom is the best option.

Amazon.com: Cliff Keen Hair Slicker: Sports & Outdoors

I have a few women students and our program is getting bigger for women so it would be good to find a good option for them.

Thanks for your help,
    Jason

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 1:15am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 1:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks like water polo headgear.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCYQrQQwBg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 7:03pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch View Post
    I apologize for assuming you were a man. That was my mistake.

I would like to point out that some people, regardless of gender, seem to be predisposed toward developing cauliflower ear with even minimal trauma while others seem immune.

While I don't want to belittle your experience, it's entirely possible that you are naturally resistant to cauliflower ear. Other women might not possess these attributes.

Additionally I can guarantee that you are better equipped to keep your training partner away from your ears than a beginner grappler.

Regardless, given the amount of experience you have, I will welcome your input in the advance forum from this point forward.
    Yes, some people are more predisposed. Most women are more resistant than your typical man - let's hear it for a female favorable gender difference.

the cap that the guy's talking about is about hair control, not ear protection. That's why experienced female wrestlers who have to wear such things do the combo swim cap + headgear. Think about it - what's comfortable to one head is not comfortable to another, especially when you're trying to stick your ears in the headgear. That's why headgear is adjustable all over the place and there are so many different styles. Throw a massive mess of fabric into the mix, and you've got a real mess. Much easier to get headgear that fits, adjust it accordingly, and, if you have really long hair that you don't want grabbed, wear a Lycra swim cap underneath.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 10:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a guy with long hair my solution has generally been to put my hair into 5-6 tight hair ties about 4 inches apart, then curl the entire thing into a bun at the base of my skull and put another hair tie around that. It's very secure. Whenever I'm starting to have issues w/ my ears (rarely since I'm a cauliflower resistant kind of guy) I use some cheapo crap headgear I got from Academy sports for 20$. It does the job while my ear stops being red and keeps me from getting it roughed up any more.
    I could certainly see how women would want equally effective hair control and ear protection available to them should the need arise, and as an instructor one would want to be able to make an informed recommendation to a female student who was having issues with ears getting rubbed or wanted a better way to control hair in training, etc...
    Crawford, your reaction was all out of proportion to the nature of the question and you need to relax. No one is trying to FORCE women to buy headgear.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As the longest haired member of Bullshido, I find that regular wrestling headgear works fine if you use them right.
    Tie your hair back (or better yet, braid it), and flip it up on top of your head before putting your headgear on. That way, all of your hair is underneath the strap of the headgear.
    Like so:

It looks pretty ridiculous, but it works.
    Nowadays, I generally tie mine back, braid it, and then flip it under the headgear, and I find myself with very few missing hairs at the end of a grappling session. I've heard of people using swim caps like you linked to, but never actually seen it.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 11:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I challenge your assertion that you are the longest haired member of Bullshido.
    But I find that 5-7 hairties a few inches apart then coiling my hair into a bun and slapping another hair tie on it is sufficient to keep it from being unruly without headgear. I only grab headgear if my ears have been roughed up previously and need time to heal to avoid cailiflowering.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I challenge your assertion that you are the longest haired member of Bullshido.
    But I find that 5-7 hairties a few inches apart then coiling my hair into a bun and slapping another hair tie on it is sufficient to keep it from being unruly without headgear. I only grab headgear if my ears have been roughed up previously and need time to heal to avoid cailiflowering.
    Interesting. I'll keep that in mind if I ever do a judo tournament or somesuch that doesn't allow headgear.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs View Post
    Would anyone know where to get good earguards for women/long hair. Preferably one that covers the whole head.

You can check out this video with Leticia Ribiero wearing something like what I'm talking about. It would be great if I could find that particular one. You can see it at 3:51 of this video:

YouTube- Leticia Ribeiro

I found this, which is a cover but I'm looking for something that has everything all in one. Don't think the link on the bottom is the best option.

Amazon.com: Cliff Keen Hair Slicker: Sports & Outdoors

I have a few women students and our program is getting bigger for women so it would be good to find a good option for them.

Thanks for your help,
    Jason

Many of the women on Leticia's team wear a "Water Polo Cap". I actually asked Penny Thomas about this like 2 weeks ago. The one in the video is a straight-up Water-Polo Cap.

So if you want the hair under control a Water-Polo Cap is the answer. They actually come with their own ear guards built in, but I would assume they're not made to hold up in grappling even though many on Leticia's team use them. You're probably best off getting one that is earless and wearing your own headgear over the top, but if you want an "all in one" the water polo cap is the way to go.

here's a random site; I would suggest shopping around:

http://www.truwest.com/waterpolo/custom.html

the "hair slicker" seems to be a similar design.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 12/21/2009 4:43pm at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast