Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/11/2010 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    Hey, whatever it takes to draw the larpers into contact sports.
    This right here says it best.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 5:46am

Style: Ju-Jitsu/BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Hey Jeff how have you been?

I rolled with Feitosa too and yeah its one of those delightful asskicking things.

As far as Aikido and BJJ its definitely nothing new. When I first started BJJ there was an Aikido guy on our "team". And LeavitK was also an Aikido yudansha when he started training with me in Hohenfels.

Regardless a Judo/BJJ mix is way better than an Aikido/BJJ mix any day in my unbiased opinion.
    Hey brother, I'm good - in train-up for Trashcanistan, although my gun ain't gonna be as big as yours! How are you doing? I'll be downrange this fall. You still gonna be there?

There's an old fart in our club, a little younger than I (I think) who holds yudansha in aikido and judo - and is damn close to getting his BJJ black belt too. Now THAT is a combination! LOL

Shoot me an email at jeffrey.cook@us.army.mil, if you don't mind. Stay safe brother!

Jeff Cook

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 11:33am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing this set, especially as a former Aikidoka who burnt out and switched over to BJJ.

I would definitely say there are some similarity and overlap between the two. Certain throws are shared and I use some Aikido wrist locks regularly while rolling to break grips and occasionally as a submission. Also, the idea of moving off the line and using strength/momentum against your attacker is a shared basic tenet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the two styles mesh seamlessly or are of equal value in real world, fully alive, fighting. But considering the historical basis of the two arts I don't think it is that surprising that they share some elements that could be worked together in a cohesive way.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12