Style: 
    Submission Grappling

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 1:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Child Black Belt "Test"?

Everyone wants their kid to be "bully-proof". Be careful what you wish for: My son was recently involved in an incident where another student at his school attempted to bully him. When the inevitable after-school altercation took place, the bullying kid was messed up badly, to the point that my son refused to fight him any more. He did what he was trained to do, ie: slipped punches, countered with combos, and used the Thai clinch to reverse a standing headlock attempt, but the end result (the bullies wrecked face) had him so disturbed that he has refused to train AT ALL since the fight happened.

When a kid is really trained to fight properly, the potential to hurt other children becomes really serious, and the tendency to "fight how you train" creates some really dangerous situations. In this case, he instinctively kneed the other kid in the face in reaction to a takedown. When I scolded him for going overboard, he said he couldn't help it; That it was instinct.

I had no comeback for that, because that is exactly what people are training for: To use the correct technique without thinking about it.

The other kid was a mess, and my son is completely turned off to training.

Its unfortunate.

Heavyweight

Style: 
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Posted On:
    1/13/2010 10:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And too bad the school he was in didn't teach

Avoid, rather than check.
    Check, rather than hurt.
    Hurt, rather than maim.
    Maim, rather than kill.
    For all life is precious, nor can any be replaced.

And though it's from the Kung Fu TV show, the systems my son learned sometimes said this as a chant, or said something better, like, use as little technique as possible to escape violence. My son was jumped and so threw the kid (in middle school and a teacher saw, so green haired punk straight A 1/2 Chinese kid who carries a violin got to go to detention for a week and that raised his status with the wannabe gangstahs), and then I was told that in high school some idiot bully sucker punched him and he ducked and floored the kid with a straight to the neck, but he got away with it and it was pretty much the least amount of violence, I guess. It might be to late, but maybe your son could benefit from a "real" karate dojo, one that kicks ass and teaches control. Or BJJ?

TMA teach a lot more than fighting. I know some hate to hear it, because it's only fighting skills that matter, but the philosophy in Hawaiian Kempo and Kyokushin have helped shaped my life. And I've used the minimum (one kick) a couple times and never really hurt anyone. So to me learning control mattered. And I didn't get busted! Seriously, it has always been a choice of how little technique I could use, after all, it takes tons to beat some tournie fighter and almost none to wipe out some moron on the "street."
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 1/13/2010 10:51pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Style: 
    BJJ/Judo

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 1:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    In this case, he instinctively kneed the other kid in the face in reaction to a takedown. When I scolded him for going overboard, he said he couldn't help it; That it was instinct.

I had no comeback for that, because that is exactly what people are training for: To use the correct technique without thinking about it.

The other kid was a mess, and my son is completely turned off to training.

Its unfortunate.
    there was a penn and teller recently where they had a kid who loved violent FPS video games go out with a marine rifle instructor to learn to shoot an ar-15. the kid shot one bullet, put the gun down and said he didn't like it. a minute later he started crying when he saw that he shot the target (man in ski mask holding a pistol) right in the throat.

i'm sorry your son is turned off to training now. hopefully his talent wont be wasted.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Style: 
    Submission Grappling

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 10:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    And too bad the school he was in didn't teach

Avoid, rather than check.
    Check, rather than hurt.
    Hurt, rather than maim.
    Maim, rather than kill.
    For all life is precious, nor can any be replaced.

And though it's from the Kung Fu TV show, the systems my son learned sometimes said this as a chant, or said something better, like, use as little technique as possible to escape violence. My son was jumped and so threw the kid (in middle school and a teacher saw, so green haired punk straight A 1/2 Chinese kid who carries a violin got to go to detention for a week and that raised his status with the wannabe gangstahs), and then I was told that in high school some idiot bully sucker punched him and he ducked and floored the kid with a straight to the neck, but he got away with it and it was pretty much the least amount of violence, I guess. It might be to late, but maybe your son could benefit from a "real" karate dojo, one that kicks ass and teaches control. Or BJJ?

TMA teach a lot more than fighting. I know some hate to hear it, because it's only fighting skills that matter, but the philosophy in Hawaiian Kempo and Kyokushin have helped shaped my life. And I've used the minimum (one kick) a couple times and never really hurt anyone. So to me learning control mattered. And I didn't get busted! Seriously, it has always been a choice of how little technique I could use, after all, it takes tons to beat some tournie fighter and almost none to wipe out some moron on the "street."
    My son has had a steady diet of CS, and no TMA. There is definitely a downside. He had enough sense to stop fighting the other kid when he was dropping him at will, but he had to get the kid's friends to make him back off.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Style: 
    Wing Chun Kuen

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Christian, here's how I reconciled with the violence I learn to dish out.
    (IANAP, I am Not A Psychologist)
    I had a little talk with my inner child, which goes like this,

"Do I want to this man (the bully) to have power over my life for as long as he lives? To cause me to think twice what I speak, do and think. Do I want my loved ones to be under the power of this man (the bully), that I am helpless to protect them, either physically or mentally?"

To most people, the answer is "no". After a day giving myself that little talk, I no longer had guilt with violence. That was 12 years ago.

Registered Member

Style: 
    BJJ

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 11:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Child Black Belt "Test"?

disgrace
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123