Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/26/2009 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Bravo believed he was a Brown Belt in BJJ due to his personal experience in 10th planet JJ. Correct?

He then promoted, in other words promotion/advertised, he was a BJJ Brown belt under his system. If he accepted "Quick's" claim, under his banner, this is why people say he promoted/advanced him in his system.

You guys are about to hit a semantically based debate. Did he advance him in rank in a testing procedure that we accept as rank advancement? IMO No.

Can his acceptance of "Quick's" alleged Brown Belt, with a skill check, and affiliate program allow people to say Bravo promoted him? IMO Yes.

Absolutely not because it was under the false pretense that he was already a brown belt in BJJ.

i agree that Eddie used him. Eddie is notorious for his marketing, etc. but this "acceptence" was based on false information, and was not a promotion at all. especially back then 10thPJJ was just a no-gi BJJ school, and even though they're definitely evolving in their own direction it's still BJJ until Eddie finishes panning out and creating his own competitions with those crazy rules he's been thinking up.

Regardless a BJJ brown belt that does gi and no-gi is accepted to 10thpjj as a brown belt, but when a 10thpjj brown belt goes to bjj they are now a white belt anyway... so either way you look at it brandon should now be a white belt since no longer affiliated with 10thplanet unless he has some proof of real training and promotions that he actually got and forgot to mention.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/27/2009 7:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys are about to hit a semantically based debate.
    Suffice it to say that there may be claims of Quick's that can be weighed without dissecting his relationship with Eddie Bravo. Which is fortunate, because that would be a job for a contract lawyer, not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    12/27/2009 8:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easiest way for Brandon to recover his rep: Batsugun for rank. Just show up dude, that's all. You don't have to get 100% flawless victories, just put yourself out there on the same level as your claims. Money up/etc.

That's all; done&done.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bravo believed he was a Brown Belt in BJJ due to his personal experience in 10th planet JJ. Correct?

He then promoted, in other words promotion/advertised, he was a BJJ Brown belt under his system. If he accepted "Quick's" claim, under his banner, this is why people say he promoted/advanced him in his system.

You guys are about to hit a semantically based debate. Did he advance him in rank in a testing procedure that we accept as rank advancement? IMO No.

Can his acceptance of "Quick's" alleged Brown Belt, with a skill check, and affiliate program allow people to say Bravo promoted him? IMO Yes.
    Isn't this the same slope Robson Pereira has been skiing down for quite some time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    Absolutely not because it was under the false pretense that he was already a brown belt in BJJ.

i agree that Eddie used him. Eddie is notorious for his marketing, etc. but this "acceptance" was based on false information, and was not a promotion at all. especially back then 10thPJJ was just a no-gi BJJ school, and even though they're definitely evolving in their own direction it's still BJJ until Eddie finishes panning out and creating his own competitions with those crazy rules he's been thinking up.

Regardless a BJJ brown belt that does gi and no-gi is accepted to 10thpjj as a brown belt, but when a 10thpjj brown belt goes to bjj they are now a white belt anyway... so either way you look at it brandon should now be a white belt since no longer affiliated with 10thplanet unless he has some proof of real training and promotions that he actually got and forgot to mention.
    As mentioned by someone else previously (may have been you actually) and it also hits on what IIF said, this is why Saolo Ribero starts his students back at white. I've seen people come into class and strip themselves of their rank and decided to get re-ranked under their new instructor. I've also seen people keep the rank they came in with but they have to meet the standards of the new instructor for the next stripes/belts before moving up...however long that may take.

I think the only way something like this was able to go down was the intent of Bravo and Quick. Specifically, it appears they both were using each other for A) Quick to receive validation for skills/rank he didn't have and B) Bravo to get his system out. If this would have been student A going to instructor B for some BJJ instructor, this probably wouldn't haven't happen. Ulterior motives other than training and getting better... Mind you, there is nothing wrong with seeing it, loving it, and deciding you want to someday get good enough to teach others something you fell in love with. At the same time, you still have to do it right. Just because I love medicine, doesn't give me the right to con my way into a medical school professorship.

This does seem to confirm that Bravo prefers knowledge of his system more so than the ability to apply that knowledge effectively. If this is the case, then so be it. If these are the standards he has set then it will reflect poorly upon him and those students who are hard working and can spar at the level they are ranked on. It's a shame really. I'm a fan of the guy's BJJ and think he has some really innovative ideas about grappling. Unfortunately, it seems all the hard work he has put in to get the word out about his system will be for not by a willingness to skimp on quality as a means of getting it out there faster.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456