Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 10:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi! I am the instructor at Krav Maga Ottawa and Director of IKMF Canada, Laurent Mougeot. $100/month for 16 hours of training is actually $6.25 an hour. I offer competitive prices that have never been a problem for anyone. I am a full-time Instructor and this is my job. As for any nutjob becoming an instant Krav Maga expert, it is unfortunately true. Which is why you have to go with a school that is affiliated with a legitimate federation. We are a branch of the IKMF, led by my Instructor Avi Moyal, a direct student of Imi Lichtenfeld, the founder. I am dully certified and a G4 level in the IKMF. Just come and try a class, if you like it come and try a month, no contract here. Be safe!
    Laurent Mougeot
    IKMF Director- Canada
    www.kravmagaottawa.com

On hiatus

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 10:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How often do you spar? Averagely how much (time/round * rounds) during a sparring session? Under what rules? What level of contact?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 12:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    How often do you spar? Averagely how much (time/round * rounds) during a sparring session? Under what rules? What level of contact?
    In the intermdiate/advanced class we spar on average once a week- mostly light sparring. the goal is to get rid of the inhibition to hit and the fear of being hit. Every few months I give an entire class on combat. Hard fighting is full-contact with boxing gloves and in my class we only do that one-on-one in gauntlet forms (one student fights several people one after the other then we change) under strict supervision. The rules are simple, no full strikes to the joins and reasonable level of control when hitting the face, besides that everything goes, obstructing, take downs, elbows, knees, etc. We have never had any serious injury in combat.
    I would like to point out that in my class and IKMF Krav Maga in general combat is much more than sparring. In a combat class you can expect many drills such as one vs two or three, combat involving knives and sticks, fighting one then having to deal with another opponent attacking by surprise with a weapon, etc...we don't do competition-style fighting- I prepare you for real-life violence.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know that Krava Maga is supposed to be Wrestling + Boxing. Or basically a re-imagination of Pankration? Why all the stupid bad judo, bad jujutsu and bad karate?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And bad aikido?

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 4:48pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a quick question about this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUGTEPP02M

There are several times in the video ('double block' at 3:42, 'outside parry' at 4:14 for 2 examples) where the instructor uses the underside/'soft'-side of his forearms to block a knife attack. This seems to run contrary to the minimal knife training I've done.

I'm not trying to 'gotcha' at all. I'm just wondering about the theory or application of doing it that way (and exposing soft tissue and non-minor arteries) to the blade as opposed to using the backside of the forearm.

Thanks!

On hiatus

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 5:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sirc, Shut The **** Up. Permanently. I'm tired of your shitty Pokemon threads and your weak ass trolling. You **** up almost every thread you post in. Shut The **** Up.

Enough of that.

So back on topic. To any interested parties. Having done (IKMF) KM for 2 years, in 3 different schools. My goal was self defence, as opposed to competition. My first school was the worst, almost McDojo level. Once a month sparring at best, which was terrible since no one had technique and just wailed on each other. And after spending more than a year there, realizing I was wasting my time (cause I still couldn't fight and deep down I knew I couldn't defend myself at all... cause I couldn't fight) I started going to 2 other clubs to see what's up (had to take the train forth and back, I spent 4 hours going forth and back per lesson, that's how bad I wanted it).

One club did have sparring, hard contact. And serious cardio. Some guys were better, cause they cross trained. Those who didn't were not much better. Like better due to experience in sparring, but clearly lacking instruction. And the lessons were kinda odd, basically like a Muay Thai training, only the instructions and combo drills were replaced with knife, gun threats, disarms etc. Which were weak too, since they were barely explained. In reality, nobody there would be able to do them once there'd be even a little resistance.

The other club was better. Techniques (both h2h and weapon struff) were explained, there was more aliveness in the knife, gun disarm thingy. And they they did some sparring at medium levels, but again it was like 2 rounds every 8th lesson. And the advanced levels did sparring every lesson as warm up... but NO contact (but bare knuckle AHA).

Meanwhile, I found this site, went to a Throwdown and got referred to a respectable Muay Thai school in the neighborhood (which has a handful of pros and several handfuls of amateurs (+8 years experience)). All those kick my ass all the time. We always spar, there are light trainings (less rounds) and heavy trainings (more rounds). On the average, we do 5 to 7 (3 minute) rounds in a lesson. Practice lots of combo drills, very alive, with instruction. And have serious cardio to boot. I'm happy.

Upon reading the description, I'd say that I DO NOT recommend it. The level sounds like between my worse and best KM school.

Pricing: That is a VERY steep price!! For comparison (which I'll do per lesson, not per hour as stated above. All my lessons have always been 90 minutes):

In the best KM school: 140 euros for 3 months (with 2 courses per week) so that's 5.5 euros per lesson (assuming you always come).

In the worst (most expensive too) KM school the pricing was about 1.5 times higher than the best KM school.

My Muay Thai school: 30 euros per month. With courses running 7 times per week!!! Suppose you go twice a week. This is still +3 times cheaper. Suppose you go more, well... it's even cheaper AND you'll start getting more personalized training routines from the coaches (but you have to pay them drinks, tell them your life story... you know how it is).

I'll state my opinion on KM in general later on.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 11/09/2010 5:44pm at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 7:00pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If price is a huge issue, find something at a university, my judo club membership was like 90ish dollars for the whole year, and that covered at least 4 days a week and an optional day on saturday at a different location. Tamu also has a budget for renting cars to go to competetions and get hotels once were there. Granted I think you might have to attend the college....actually im pretty sure you do...ill just go back to lurking again...:lurk:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 7:58pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only real Krav is in Israel mah friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 8:50pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    And bad aikido?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast