Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yoga

The gym I've just joined offers Yoga classes, so I'm going down after work.

I've never done yoga before, so some advice on what to expect and what to be wary of would be nice.

I refuse to even look at the tai chi class they run though. I'd probably have to try and correct her form :)
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 7:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've practiced yoga for a few years now, so here are my views:
    chances are that the yoga being offered focuses strictly on the poses or stretches. yoga as a true discipline is actually a whole more...the poses aren't even a nessasary part of so-called 'real' yoga. but that would be a discussion in and of itself. however, that little bit of yoga which deals with stretches is great in and of itself. a full class of poses a couple times a week (or even just once a week) will go great with practicing martial arts, both for the stretching time that is probably lacking in your martial arts class, and for relaxing from high stress fight training. as for expectations, i would say don't expect just to fall into the poses all that easily....many are difficult, and even with the easy ones you will notice over time how much better they can be. generally, after an hour class, you should be relaxed and fully stretched out, and you should also have a decent sweat going. probably the biggest thing you should be wary of is an unqualified teacher. if the teacher is an aerobics instructor and just learned yoga by watching videos....well, the class couldn't hurt, but it really wouldn't be all too beneficial or too interesting. a good teacher should be able to run a fun, hardworking class....hell, just like in martial arts.

as for your first classes....don't try to over extend yourself, go slow, and make sure you are observing what's happening with your body before pushing it.

Not remotely funny

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What type of yoga? If it's one of the more "traditional" styles expect strangely aching joints the next day and musings on the befits of loose t-shirts vs tight latex on women when doing the cat-style (loose t shirts win hands down in my opinion) .

Depending on the teacher, the moves may seem too easy and pointless or even against what you'd want from an exercise. If it's an advanced class you'll just end up wondering how (and why) you ever ended up in that position. They do some nasty things to knee joints and some of their spine stretches are easy to overdo, so definitely be wary here. Final warning, some get into the chakras bit too much, but as most of them seem to develop nice relaxing voices, just lay back and enjoy the time-out while they're pontificating.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 10:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting Yoga also. Stretches and Poses...

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 10:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tantric Taiji-yoga.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 11:59am

Style: japanese jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did yoga for awhile. Prior to trying it, I had *never* had any lower back pain at all (heavy squats, heavy deadlifts, heavy cleans, no problem). After a coupla weeks of yoga, my back was starting to ache. After a month, I learned what the term "threw my back out" meant.

I stopped yoga and haven't had any back trouble at all. Kinda weird actually, 'cause many people I know said "yoga's the cure for back pain."

Not remotely funny

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tantric Taiji-yoga.
    so you want blue balls and a sword with tassles on?

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Urghh... just got back.
    1 hour of some mad hippy woman droning on about random ****. The stretches were Ok, nothing too hard. The breathing excercises seemed very similar to chi gung. The hippy **** sounded just like hippy ****. I don't do visulisations. At least not of standing under a waterfall or being the centre of the sun.
    I talked several work colloegues into going as well, they didn't find it quite so easy.
    The big criticism I have is that the instructor made NO attempt to correct people when they were doing something horribly wrong. Also, we all had these thick padded mats. During the standing on one leg excercises, I saw everyone standing on them wobbling all over the place. Me and another MAist had the sense to stand on the floor for those. Again, the instructor didn't mention a thing.
    So... screw the mat next week.
    I'm going to keep going, if only because its free and its an opportunity to stare at womens arses for an hour.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 6:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sam, sounds like your are going for the right reasons!!!!

doesn't sound like the teacher is very grounded in proper yogic training. visualization is for the birds. it's good that you are doing breathing, though, many places neglect this. if you keep practicing and become more interested in yoga and want to take it out of the realms of dope-smoking hippies, i recommend a book called 'Light on Yoga' by B. K. S. Iyengar. His style of practice is very, very different than mine, and some of the poses are straight up crazy, but his introduction and explanation of the practice is exhaustive, yet concise (is that possible?). if you like eastern philosphy, but aren't some sort of sissy, you will like this book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 7:17am

Style: Taiji quan yang style ("cheng fu" and "lu chan"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by SamHarber
    At least not of standing under a waterfall or being the centre of the sun.

Could you quote the visualizations for us though, this is extremly funny.:p
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast