Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 12:11am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ schools in Germany?

This might be a long shot, but I'm wondering if you guys can recommend any serious BJJ schools in Germany, specifically/hopefully in the Berlin area.

I googled and couldn't find anything that really screamed "legit and experienced."

onthemat.com was also of no help.

I've known about MMA Berlin ( http://www.mma-berlin.de/ ) for a while, but I'm a little suspicious of their credentials.

I mean, one of their *trainers* has been with them just since 2004 and his only prior experience is listed as Aikido... Also, nobody is forthcoming with their ranks in arts like Judo or BJJ...

Anyway, I'll be e-mailing them with my questions.

So back to my real question: where, if anywhere, can I train good BJJ in Germany?

Any other gym recommendations in the area would be welcomed as well.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 4:35am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.alliance-berlin.de/main.htm

I found this by googling. The coach is purple under Fabio Gurgel. I don't know the BJJ scene in in Germany, but there is a possibility that there are no black belts if the scene isn't old enough yet. Sweden got its first native black belts two and a half years ago, for example.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left Germany (Bayern) last year.

Ulf Ehlert is a good guy and last I see him he was a purple belt.

You have some schools further down south in Munchen, Bamberg, and Garmisch but thats a bit of a drive from you.

Check out:
    http://www.bjjbd.de/

The German BJJ bund is ran by my first BJJ BB Michael Haselein. He should be able to point you in the right directions.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 3:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot, guys, this is exactly what I was looking for.

It's good to hear Ulf has good credentials, because his group looks like the one I'll most likely be training with. I'll drop Michael Haselein an e-mail, too, to get in touch with the BJJ world in Germany.

I'm planning to spend the 2007-2008 school year over there, and I didn't want to get involved with vat zhe chermans must call das Crapplen. =)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 3:19pm

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    besides the above mentioned school you could also check out the following in berlin for grappling and mma :

http://www.jkdberlin.de/

in general, it is also helpful to look for luta livre schools in germany, since it is more common in certain areas than bjj

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    Thanks a lot, guys, this is exactly what I was looking for.

It's good to hear Ulf has good credentials, because his group looks like the one I'll most likely be training with. I'll drop Michael Haselein an e-mail, too, to get in touch with the BJJ world in Germany.

I'm planning to spend the 2007-2008 school year over there, and I didn't want to get involved with vat zhe chermans must call das Crapplen. =)
    I might be back over there in April next year if I don't get a OCS school date before then. So I will keep an eye out for you.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Www.Luta-Livre.de

The guy who's in charge of the grappling at JKD Berlin seems to be a member of ELLO, seems like a pretty damn nice organisation, I trained at the Hanover school last week 2 times. the instructor knew his stuff, and was really nice and had no problem with me rolling in regular class even thou i dont speak any German.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 8:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Army Combatives, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a bit of thread necromancy to avoid starting a new one. I am heading over to Landstuhl in June of 09 and I am looking for anything in the area. I am based at Ft Polk right now and there is absolutely nothing in western Louisiana so I have not been actively learning for a while. Any information or points of contact will be appreciated. Thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 9:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Judo - Crappler!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fabio Gurgel! holy shitbricks. If you have the chance to train with one of his students do it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2008 2:49pm

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucistius
    Just a bit of thread necromancy to avoid starting a new one. I am heading over to Landstuhl in June of 09 and I am looking for anything in the area. I am based at Ft Polk right now and there is absolutely nothing in western Louisiana so I have not been actively learning for a while. Any information or points of contact will be appreciated. Thanks.
    ok, since nobody tried to help you so far, i 'll give it a try:

as far as i see it, you are many miles away from any bjj/luta livre training in your area.
    the nearest should be a luta livre school in ludwigshafen, which should be around 90 minutes by train from landstuhl. the homepage of this school is http://www.optimale-selbstverteidigung.de/

this basically means the for germany usual thing, which is look for judo and wrestling clubs.
    here is the adress of a judo club in landstuhl that i found, maybe they can help you http://www.sportplus-ev.de/

i dont know anybody from said schools/clubs personally, i just thought it might be easier for me to search for you, so good luck with your training :icon_wink
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast