Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 1:15am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Let me guess, broken charging handle on the 556?
    Something about the bolt carrier or something, I don't remember. That might have been it. I didn't see the problem, just heard about it. You have that problem?

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 10:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Something about the bolt carrier or something, I don't remember. That might have been it. I didn't see the problem, just heard about it. You have that problem?
    Not me, but people I talk to on other boards. The charging handle on the 556 is linked to the bolt carrier by a small piece of stamped sheet metal, or something like that.

It's basically just the weakest link of an otherwise very nice rifle. The one 556 I've gotten to plink with was one of the smoothest, most accurate semi autos I've ever had the pleasure of assaulting clays and bottles with. XD

Flyweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2010 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Followup: Nabbed a NIB p229 with NS and 1 magazine for $710 off of Gunbroker, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. It does not have the SRT however. Any of you guys out there know if it's something that's worth shipping it off to Sig to have installed?
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    1/07/2010 9:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    Followup: Nabbed a NIB p229 with NS and 1 magazine for $710 off of Gunbroker, now I'm just waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. It does not have the SRT however. Any of you guys out there know if it's something that's worth shipping it off to Sig to have installed?
    What is the Short Reset Trigger supposed to do exactly?

Congrats on the SIG BTW! Very nice machine, and you'll love the ease of take down! Great for a hand gun newbie. You just flip a switch, and you're cleaning in no time!

Flyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    What is the Short Reset Trigger supposed to do exactly?

Congrats on the SIG BTW! Very nice machine, and you'll love the ease of take down! Great for a hand gun newbie. You just flip a switch, and you're cleaning in no time!
    After the first DA shot it gives the subsequent SA shots a shorter travel. It is a pretty significant difference from what I've read but I haven't had a chance to compare two side-by-side.

Explanation I found on another site:

What's happening internally: Normally, when you depress the trigger on a DA/SA SIG pistol the firing pin block is pushed out of the way (allow the firing pin to slam past) and then the firing pin block falls down into its blocking position again. The reason the standard gun's reset is so long, then, is because the trigger bar needs to move forward far enough to reset and re-push the firing pin block again. The SRT uses a different safety lever which keeps the firing pin block in the out-of-the-way position through the entire slide cycle, so when the gun comes back into battery all you need to do is reset the trigger bar/sear connection ... which is much shorter.

You can feel what an SRT is like with any SIG. Clear the gun; verify it's clear; remove the slide & barrel; pull the trigger and hold it back; press down on the disconnector (the little arm sticking up from the trigger bar near the right grip panel) while keeping the trigger fully depressed; cock the hammer while keeping the trigger fully depressed; then let the trigger forward until you feel/hear the click. It's a lot shorter. Why? You reset the sear without having to deal with the firing pin block mechanism in the slide.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 7:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting.

On your first gun, something that subtle will probably not make much of a difference to you.

I'd save that money for ammo and range fee's in the meantime. Simply going out and shooting at this point in your development will give you far greater gains than a slicker trigger. Learn to shoot first, then worry about the fine minutia. JMHO

Train safe bro!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto what Don Gwinn said but gratz on your purchase anyway. As far as the SRT you should work on your fundamental skills before getting all fancy. I'd rather have solid skills that I can transition to other weapons then be used to a feature that is only on my weapon.

With that being said if self defense is your primary reason and you find this helps with your follow up then disregard what I said above. Your life comes above all else...
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    1/16/2010 8:48pm

Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Here's a little secret: I bought my 228 used, and the warranty is under my name. There's some paperwork inside the box that, if not sent in, won't activate the warranty. Also, the guy I bought mine from has never even had to use his warranty. He sent a SIG 556 to them a year or so ago and they didn't even ask him any questions when they took care of the problem for him. You'll probably be fine on that.

I'd get a used one if the price was right, otherwise new and beat it up on my own.

That shows quality and craftmanship in a gun dealer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2010 1:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first gun. Was new.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12