Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First Handgun - New or Used?

I am going to purchase a handgun. I am not a collector, so this will be my primary firearm for target & tactical shooting, and perhaps even SD or concealed carry if I ever feel that is necessary.

After much research, comparison and test-firing I have decided on exactly what I want.

The last question I have before I buy is this: should I buy new or used? Sigs are expensive, but if you buy new they come with a limited lifetime warranty:

For the lifetime of the original purchaser, SIG SAUER agrees to correct any defect in the firearm for the original purchaser by repair, adjustment or replacement, at SIG SAUER' option, with the same or comparable quality components (or by replacing the firearms at SIG SAUER' option)
    Is this warranty worth the extra $1-200 I'll probably have to pay vs a used model?
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have good taste.

If it's taken care of, you should never have to repair unless you shoot a hell of a lot of ammo.

Would recommend the .40SW over the 9mm or .357SIG.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 6:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate,Judo,BJJ,Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with used guns but if it comes with a lifetime warranty, that seems like a good deal to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 7:02pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New and if you get it in .357sig or 40.col make sure it has the interchangeable barrel option. that way you can use either round for an extra $125.

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 7:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for new.

It's kind of hard to find the exact SIG one is looking for used. They're one of those items people hold onto.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might not like your first gun. Screw the warranty. Get a used one from a reputable dealer.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 1:30am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a decent amount of guns. I have new and used firearms, and I have never had a problem with any of the used stuff I have bought over the years. The only issue, if you want to call it an issue, would be the holster wear. If you get a handgun, and notice it has some of the bluing worn off, it's no big deal, it just mean's it's been in and out of the holster a few times. No big deal.

I would look at the internal parts, and make sure everything looks good. You might ask, how would I know if some thing was broke? Well, it would look broke. Not hard. Guns are machines, and if looks broke, it probably is.

However, with all that said, I have, and will contiune to buy used stuff.

Good luck, and have fun!

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 2:14pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a little secret: I bought my 228 used, and the warranty is under my name. There's some paperwork inside the box that, if not sent in, won't activate the warranty. Also, the guy I bought mine from has never even had to use his warranty. He sent a SIG 556 to them a year or so ago and they didn't even ask him any questions when they took care of the problem for him. You'll probably be fine on that.

I'd get a used one if the price was right, otherwise new and beat it up on my own.

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Here's a little secret: I bought my 228 used, and the warranty is under my name. There's some paperwork inside the box that, if not sent in, won't activate the warranty. Also, the guy I bought mine from has never even had to use his warranty. He sent a SIG 556 to them a year or so ago and they didn't even ask him any questions when they took care of the problem for him. You'll probably be fine on that.

I'd get a used one if the price was right, otherwise new and beat it up on my own.
    Let me guess, broken charging handle on the 556?

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New guns are neat, but I'd look for it used. Then, if you don't find what you want as quickly as you want, you'll have to think about new. Look around and see what they go for new (not MSRP, the asking price) so you know a good deal on a used one when you find it. It's entirely possible to pay as much or more than a new model costs if you aren't paying attention.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast