Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    You cannot possibly count a submission escape as a reason to score a round for a fighter, you cannot possibly.
    You're right, sub defenses means **** to the judges.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the sad state of MMA judging. Strikes and takedowns mean more. If Joe would have finished a few more takedowns, he probably would have won the round. Until we get some more MMA/Grappling trained judges or some sort of change in the rules, this is how it will always be.

As for the Evans/Silva fight, if you can't stop the takedown, then you need to make the guy pay from the bottom. You can also attempt to score points from the bottom with vicious elbow strikes and use that to setup your stand-up. A good example of effective striking from the ground would be the fight between War Machine and Jared Rollins. At the very least, work from the bottom aggressively to set up the stand-up. So many fighters (and Silva was guilty of it) spend so much time focused on trying to get back to their feet that they lose valuable time/energy in the effort.

Trying to stand back up constantly is what Evans' camp was probably counting on. With the number of takedowns Evans performed, that meant Silva had to make that many number of stand-up attempts. As such, there was more time/energy wasted trying to stand up which, as you saw at the end of the fight, wore him out and frustrated him. It's the same strategy employed by GSP against the "other" Thiago.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 2:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    A good example of effective striking from the ground would be the fight between War Machine and Jared Rollins.
    Thanks for bringing that one up, makes me wanna watch it again. Nasty fight.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 2:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaeHan View Post
    Thanks for bringing that one up, makes me wanna watch it again. Nasty fight.
    I believe I read somewhere (wish I could find the article) that Rollins was actually winning that fight on the judges scorecards due to his effective striking on the bottom even with the takedowns War Machine was getting. That's how brutal they were. They were so brutal, War Machine couldn't even get off on any ground and pound of his own. It shows how you can be effective from the bottom if you get off first instead of letting the guy on top dictate the fight.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 3:07pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some UFC Salary info I found. Congrats to Joe for putting on a solid effort after that knee surgery. People at my sports bar were saying Fight of the Night halfway through the second round.

In addition to below, Sam Stout (Fight of the Night), Joe Lauzon (Fight of the Night), Cole Miller (Submission of the Night) and Paul Daley (Knockout of the Night) were each awarded a $50,000 bonus at the post-fight press conference.

Rashad Evans -- $375,000 ($175,000 bonus) def. Thiago Silva -- $55,000
    Paul Daley -- $34,200 ($18,000 bonus) def. Dustin Hazelett -- $19,800
    Sam Stout -- $24,000 ($12,000 bonus) def. Joe Lauzon -- $12,000
    Jim Miller -- $30,000 ($15,000 bonus) def. Duane Ludwig -- $12,000
    Junior Dos Santos -- $60,000 ($30,000 bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel -- $30,000
    Martin Kampmann -- $46,000 ($23,000 bonus) def. Jacob Volkmann -- $6,000
    Cole Miller -- $24,000 ($12,000 bonus) def. Dan Lauzon -- $15,000
    Mark Munoz -- $32,000 ($16,000 bonus) def. Ryan Jensen -- $6,000
    Jake Ellenberger -- $20,000 ($10,000 bonus) def. Mike Pyle -- $17,000
    Rafaello Oliveira -- $20,000 ($10,000 bonus) def. John Gunderson -- $5,000
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 3:40pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwp View Post
    Rough night for Hazelett! He did a good job of being long for a few minutes but KAPOW!!! all it took was one (or two, but that third and fourth were uneccessary). Too bad.

Cheers Daley, look forward to more of your devastation. Dont think GSP is threatened, however, I would rather see Daley GSP than Hardy.
    but why would a guy, as far as I understand, considered mainly a grappler, try to stand with a world muay thai champion? ****.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 3:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk View Post
    but why would a guy, as far as I understand, considered mainly a grappler, try to stand with a world muay thai champion? ****.
    Ummm... Suicidal tendencies, maybe?

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 4:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All fights start standing...yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm sure Daley was expecting the takedown and Hazelett was probably hoping he could keep Daley at bay and force him to get aggressive and come in so as to make the single/double easier to come by. This is one of the reasons I feel that too many people in MMA are relying too much on lower-body takedowns. I would think that guys like Couture, Parisyan, etc., have shown us that there are more ways to get the takedown then just shooting in for the legs.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, I know. But he had to stand with Daley for a minute to get an opportunity to shoot. Too bad it didnt take more than ONE exchange for the WORLD champ to hit the button. AND, everybody wants to bang, you just better know when to say when.

Dustin's hand dropped low as he was trying to power thru with his left, he almost got it back up. almost wasnt enough.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 9:47pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    All fights start standing...yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm sure Daley was expecting the takedown and Hazelett was probably hoping he could keep Daley at bay and force him to get aggressive and come in so as to make the single/double easier to come by. This is one of the reasons I feel that too many people in MMA are relying too much on lower-body takedowns. I would think that guys like Couture, Parisyan, etc., have shown us that there are more ways to get the takedown then just shooting in for the legs.
    Given that his corner was yelling at him to "stay long" in the standup, and taking into account all the front kicks Hazelett was throwing, I'd say you're probably right.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast