Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 5:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingLessFat View Post
    I like the foot on the hip because if I pull the elbow down to the side without having a foot to block his hip or having an acute angle of my hips to give better control, he can scoot forward, scoot to the side, or do any kind of hip movement. I guess it's not only a foot that can block the hip but something should to keep him from moving his base when I'm trying to move him away from his base.
    Damn it, I was thinking you were putting the "underneath your body" foot on the hip, rather than the topside foot, which does indeed belong on the hip. Assuming you are on your side for the sweep, bottom side foot, the one on the side you are sweeping to, makes contact with the opponent's leg on the sole or side of the foot. Topside foot makes contact on top of your foot at the hip.

Which foot are we discussing here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 6:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the very first part, just the unbalancing, really either foot could go on either hip. I like putting the foot on the hip that's right under the arm I'm pulling down. I also use that foot pushing the hip to angle my body away from his so he's falling even more to the side than he would be if I just pulled the arm down. When creating the angle with my foot on the hip at the same time I turn on my side.

Now that I'm on my side and hopefully the opponent is stretched out over my foot on his hip, 2 things happen. The leg that was bent with the foot on his hip straightens and the foot slides past his hip and lowers in elevation so that it's just above the floor against his calf or shin. The leg that was not on his hip bends as much as it needs to for the knee to slide past his sternum and for the shin to lay flat on his chest or belly.

Then is the execution with the belt leg straightening and the straight leg sweeping. I think it may be hard to visualize from all the words but it's only like three steps, the stretching him out to unbalance, using the foot in the hip to make the angle and turn, and then the legs chopping.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 2:24pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a fun coincidence, In my random youtube surfing from video to related video to related video, I came across this one. YouTube- BJJ Technique of the Week - Marcelo Cavalcanti

Check out 2:10. It's a great angle of exactly what I mean.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubarão-branco View Post
    I gotta go with Mikey on this one I never scissor sweep in No-Gi. I honestly don't know how you can pull one off with even a little bit of sweat.

I don't mean to bash this techniques specifically in fact I'd love to do it to anyone who tries a scissor sweep in No-Gi.
    I scissor sweep brown belts no-gi. :5squeeze:

That said I am quite cognizant of this toehold or its heelhook counterpart. I like the added detail of pinning the knee with your knee although I don't know how practical that is because at least when I do no-gi scissor sweeps I'm not sitting there with my leg in position, it is more a matter of shooting to it quickly when their base is off.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 10:07pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you get the underhook on the same side as the shin you have across themm it works great in no-gi... At least, up to the intermediate division.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/18/2010 10:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    YouTube- Toe Hold Counter to the Scissor Sweep

Hey guys, here's one of my favorite counters to the scissor sweep. Sorry for the quality, didn't have anyone to handle the camera and I was sort of rushing things.
    Hey, just wanted to jump in a say was rolling at a no-gi open mat yesterday and I tried this counter when the other guy tried to scissor sweep me. It was textbook, worked perfectly and got the submission. Thanks CoffeeFan!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12