Posted On:
    12/15/2009 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Toe Hold Counter to Scissor Sweep

YouTube- Toe Hold Counter to the Scissor Sweep

Hey guys, here's one of my favorite counters to the scissor sweep. Sorry for the quality, didn't have anyone to handle the camera and I was sort of rushing things.
    Last edited by CoffeeFan; 12/15/2009 4:18pm at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 8:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That technique right there is why I always keep my foot super tight to my opponent and if they break free of my grips I follow them up and grab the underhook on the side they could attack.
    I'm also always ready to pop my knee back up and turn my scissor sweep into a half butterfly sweep by grabbing a butterfly hook with that foot.
    After the first time someone just reached down and cranked on my foot while I was trying to sweep them I got a lot more cognizant of the possibility.

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 8:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty nice counter. I like this. Thanks for posting!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 5:15am

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ill have to give this a try on thursday

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/24/2009 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even super-old school Master Mansor does not teach the scissor sweep in no-gi because of the easy counters. I agree with that for a number of reasons. Even in the gi brown belt and up you better have a really solid sleeve grip before attempting the sweep.

The toe-hold is great because if you lock it they end up helping you pass by escaping it most of the time.

For a submission I much prefer the heel hook, and if try to roll out I switch over it to an inverted heel hook and secure 50/50 to finish it. I find heel hooks outside of 50/50 against skilled opponents are better used to set up sweeps and passes then actually submit, but from 50/50 escape attempts are more futile. to get into it compared to the video I simply step up my left leg and trap the crossed leg against my body. You can actually attack it without dropping back if you're looking for a pass/opening, but for the finish I like to secure the grip then drop on his leg with my forehead on the ground if possible, or drop back if not.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/26/2009 4:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta go with Mikey on this one I never scissor sweep in No-Gi. I honestly don't know how you can pull one off with even a little bit of sweat.

I don't mean to bash this techniques specifically in fact I'd love to do it to anyone who tries a scissor sweep in No-Gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 3:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure about the way this was presented. To me, a scissor sweep relies on already having my opponent's elbow and head close to the floor by my side, with the same side foot planted on his hip to stretch him out. This breaks his balance. Only then would I slide my other knee across his belly and press the leg planted on his hip across his thigh

I mean if the opponent's scissor sweep doesn't unbalance you before he slides the leg across the belly, it wasn't going to work in the first place.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 4:01pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingLessFat View Post
    I'm not sure about the way this was presented. To me, a scissor sweep relies on already having my opponent's elbow and head close to the floor by my side, with the same side foot planted on his hip to stretch him out. This breaks his balance. Only then would I slide my other knee across his belly and press the leg planted on his hip across his thigh

I mean if the opponent's scissor sweep doesn't unbalance you before he slides the leg across the belly, it wasn't going to work in the first place.
    You have the word "none" listed in your style field. Any particular reason why we should care what you think about this move?

Also having a foot on the hip to stretch him out isn't a bad idea, but it doesn't lend itself well to the standard scissor sweep. Explain this to me to prevent me from moving your post to Trollshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 4:34pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually don't fill out bios for forum accounts. It's been amended just now.

I like the foot on the hip because if I pull the elbow down to the side without having a foot to block his hip or having an acute angle of my hips to give better control, he can scoot forward, scoot to the side, or do any kind of hip movement. I guess it's not only a foot that can block the hip but something should to keep him from moving his base when I'm trying to move him away from his base.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have finally started having some success with the scissor sweep. The key for me is to keep the sweeping foot on the hip, trying to stretch him out a bit and then swing it, brushing the floor and chopping through while switching my hips.

It seems to me it would be a lot harder to trap the leg from this approach.

My 260 BB instructor does this and not only sweeps you but knocks the wind out of you.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Also in no-gi one thing I have seen work on me(for ehat it worth)

Is bringing the knee into the sternum and pulling the guy into you. This hurts nad causes them to try an push the knee down, and as the do that 2 things happens. 1) is it puts the foot on their side and 2) its a good distractor to get the sweep.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast