is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Why don't you have one of those fancy Scientist tags?
    Because I'm not working on a doctorate yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 3:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOMAD alternatives that you think work but dont (explained on site).
    http://stronglifts.com/gomad-alterna...weight-gainer/
    8 Common Mistakes on GOMAD.
    http://stronglifts.com/gomad-8-commo...ou-must-avoid/

Good luck with your plan, hopefully your toilet survives this diet (chargin mah lazor type stuff if you screw it up.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 8:38pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From Stronglifts 8 common mistakes on GOMAD:
    "3. Not Drinking Whole Milk. You wonít prevent fat gains by drinking fat free or skimmed or half-skimmed milk. Itís the carb content in milk that causes fat gains by spiking insulin. Drink whole milk.
    • Calories. Half-skimmed/skimmed/low fat milk makes you lose 400/800/1000kcal per day. Youíll have to make up the difference in food, which will be hard since milk already fills your stomach.
    • Saturated Fat. Whole milk tastes better since itís rich in saturated fats. These increase your testosterone levels (muscle building hormones)."

Now I'm no PhD, but just because your body requires saturated fats to make testosterone, does that necessarily mean that increasing your saturated fat intake is going to increase the testosterone your body produces? I mean it makes sense that if your getting no saturated fat your going to be deficient in testosterone, but I would think that once you get a certain amount of saturated fat your body will plateau in its testosterone production. Also anyone associated with the heart and stroke association will tell you to keep your saturated fat low due to the health risks.

Basically either way your going to be putting on calories, but with whole milk it will be more. The calories will allow your body to put on muscle, but it will definitely put on a lot of fat either way, more if you drink whole milk.

I'm starting to wonder which would be better, gallon of skim, or quarter gallon of whole? I think the latter would be easier.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 8:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    Now I'm no PhD, but just because your body requires saturated fats to make testosterone, does that necessarily mean that increasing your saturated fat intake is going to increase the testosterone your body produces? I mean it makes sense that if your getting no saturated fat your going to be deficient in testosterone, but I would think that once you get a certain amount of saturated fat your body will plateau in its testosterone production.
    Hit up Figure 2 of Volek et al., "Testosterone and cortisol in relationship to dietary nutrients and resistance exercise". (Aside: bless Kraemer's heart for actually having them do real exercise rather than isometric machine bullshit)

"But Russ, that's just a correlation."

So it is. Do guys have higher testosterone because they eat more fat, or eat more fat because they have higher testosterone? To answer that, hit up Dorgan et al., "Effects of dietary fat and fiber on plasma and urine androgens and estrogens in men: a controlled feeding study".

Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    Also anyone associated with the heart and stroke association will tell you to keep your saturated fat low due to the health risks.
    This is a myth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 9:47pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Hit up Figure 2 of Volek et al., "Testosterone and cortisol in relationship to dietary nutrients and resistance exercise". (Aside: bless Kraemer's heart for actually having them do real exercise rather than isometric machine bullshit)
    Thanks for the link. i may consider increasing my fat intake when I go back to the gym. I find it a bit alarming that in their discussion they mention the negative relationship between protein intake and testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    "But Russ, that's just a correlation."

So it is. Do guys have higher testosterone because they eat more fat, or eat more fat because they have higher testosterone? To answer that, hit up Dorgan et al., "Effects of dietary fat and fiber on plasma and urine androgens and estrogens in men: a controlled feeding study".

This is a myth.
    OK I'm still not about to tell my dad who had a heart attack a decade ago to throw out his modified diet, although I suspect Lipitor and the type II diabetes modifications may have had as much to do with his rebound to good health. It really is surprising that most medical professionals you see on TV seem to agree on the saturated fat connection. Also my family doctor, and my uncle who's a doctor. I'll ask my friend who's a resident cardiologist about this.

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 10:05pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never done the whole GOMAD thing, but I do drink 2-3 litres of semi-skimmed milk a day while on Westside for Skinny Bastards.

Result is I did gain weight and a good program helped with my lifts.

I like my milk.

Posted On:
    12/21/2009 10:33pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should see how good my abs look in the right lighting.

(next time don't cheat with your before/after photos, keep all conditions and angles the same)
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whole Milk it is. I'll pick some up from the store today.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to the scale at my gym, I've gained 3-4 pounds since I started this diet last Wednesday; this is light-speed weight gain for my scrawny ass.
    This is awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2009 4:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to see your having success :)
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast