Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2009 12:23am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Boxing stops fights due to bleeding. MMA does not unless it is obscuring vision or otherwise more serious than someone possibly fainting from the sight of blood.
    ?

Both sports stop fights due to blood obscuring vision. To be honest I can't really think of a time I've seen a boxing match stopped due to blood that wasn't directly related to eye problem.

Although I will agree that MMA has pretty liberal blood stoppage policy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2009 12:50am

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword View Post
    ?

Although I will agree that MMA has pretty liberal blood stoppage policy.
    For a second there I thought the post read "pretty liberal blood spillage policy".
    I guess either version would be correct.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    12/14/2009 1:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    If MMA is human cockfighting, track is human dogracing.
    yea except its harder to rig a dog race.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2009 11:39am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't say that my wife's reaction is typical for a casual MMA viewer, but she doesn't mind watching MMA with me (mostly UFC) but the blood did get to her.

I'm not sure if she's the "crossover" audience of MMA - the people outside of the hardcore fans, a segment I presume Dana White wants to engage and allow for the growth of the sport - but her reaction to the amount of gore in MMA may have some effect on the growth of the sport beyond the primary target market i.e. someone like me.

How will the intended crossover audience take to all the blood? The old "human cockfighting" argument against MMA is pretty much an inaccurate point nowadays, but the gore can still be used as ammunition against the sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2009 11:45am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't say that my wife's reaction is typical for a casual MMA viewer, but she doesn't mind watching MMA with me (mostly UFC) but the blood did get to her.

I'm not sure if she's the "crossover" audience of MMA - the people outside of the hardcore fans, a segment I presume Dana White wants to engage and allow for the growth of the sport - but her reaction to the amount of gore in MMA may have some effect on the growth of the sport beyond the primary target market i.e. someone like me.

How will the intended crossover audience take to all the blood? The old "human cockfighting" argument against MMA is pretty much an inaccurate point nowadays, but the gore can still be used as ammunition against the sport.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12