Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Claus View Post
    There has only been one person pre-emptively banned on Bullshido. (Of 3,000) Her name was Ying Yang Dagger, and she was literally nuts. As in mentally ill. When she showed up here from the Kung Fu forums I hit her with the ban stick after about twenty five posts.
    can you go back in time and pre-emptively ban BigMacLol?

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Join the sonnon banned club.
    Most of ASA members from the WWG thread were banned from the RMAX forum...some who have never even questioned him there. They questioned him in WWG forum, but got banned on RMAX. Pre-emtive banning...LOL.
    I never posted at the RMAX site and didn't post anything in the thread on WWG, and was IP banned from the RMAX forums. Top that!
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 4:29pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the Sambo that Sonnon was trained in was of the "High school wrestling but with armbars and jackets" variety?

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 5:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    So the Sambo that Sonnon was trained in was of the "High school wrestling but with armbars and jackets" variety?
    Pre-Retuinsky, (ROSS) yes.

There are some clips of him from those days and he was a little "funkier" than your standard issue rassler who put on a jacket: he does a sweet little armbar bs armbar in one highlght and a leg-over&under and follows another dude around&around-almost gets an Iranian Ko-Uchi...

I can see how he'd focus on being more of a finesse fighter than a shoot&sprawl. Interesting stuff.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 5:38pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so he is at least still considered decently skilled at the sport? Or is what's he's doing pretty different that what you'd see say steve teaching? (Not that those two things are mutually exclusive).

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 5:46pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone give a link to any of Ying Yang Dagger's old posts? I am very interested.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For War Wheel, I got banned from Sherdog for saying Royler was pathetic when he fought Sakuraba. Mind you, I deserved it, because the fight had happened 2 years prior to the post, but on the other hand, back then there were so few total fights that had ever happened in the major promos that rehashing old arguements about old fights was common.

I never went back there.

MMA.com banned me the first time for making fun of Steve Irwin's death and talking about illicit drug use. The second through...6th? Times have been due to talking about steroids (I think) or making fun of fighters (I think) or admitting I had a previous account.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 6:49pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Ok, so he is at least still considered decently skilled at the sport? Or is what's he's doing pretty different that what you'd see say steve teaching? (Not that those two things are mutually exclusive).
    Based on the vids Sonnon has posted (I have not seen anything else other than what he has posted in his HL reel), I would say he was skilled back then. Eye witness reports vary, so all we can really go on is his video. I would say is is much more than a simple convert wrestler. His approach in those matches showed knowledge of sambo, submissions, jacket work, etc.

I know he trained significantly with Densberger in his pre-ROSS days. By his own admission, he later left ROSS because it was lacking in the live resistance training sambo had, so I am not sure how ROSS affected his post sambo skill since he has not really competed (except for the "international San Shou" fight) or put students out there after the ROSS days. We don't really have a measuring stick. But, Densberger was considered a good coach (aside from his other pathetic criminal issues).

Scott has mentioned training with many people but, because of his mixed bag of truths, exaggerations, lies, etc, I really don't know how much significant time he spent training with those people. I suspect some was just an occassional or seminar type thing. But, in the end, he did have some skill and did win some events.

As far as comparing him to me, I hesitate to answer that except to say that I consistently train and coach guys from my own gym (not distance learning folks) who compete in sambo, grappling, MMA, etc, and he does not as far as we can tell. So, it is hard to say what he can produce in a student today. He has not participated in the sambo community for a decade or so.

I would also add that I have not really had issues with the technical material he puts out (only the stories that surround the material). Much of it is in line with the way I learned sambo.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 6:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to say that back in the day, he was one of the few people who were kind and respectful to me, and was a friend. I can not comment on anything else, save this...

I have never understood how others could be banned over there, but the horse crap Q ball and his butt boys did not only did NOT get them banned, they were given the Judo forum.

Perhaps, and I don't know, the needle has gone too far the other way. All I know is what I had to put up with over there, and what I still have to put up with if my name comes up.

I long for dueling pistols, but such is life.....

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 7:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    I want to say that back in the day, he was one of the few people who were kind and respectful to me, and was a friend. I can not comment on anything else, save this...

I have never understood how others could be banned over there, but the horse crap Q ball and his butt boys did not only did NOT get them banned, they were given the Judo forum.

Perhaps, and I don't know, the needle has gone too far the other way. All I know is what I had to put up with over there, and what I still have to put up with if my name comes up.

I long for dueling pistols, but such is life.....
    Mark,

On another note, I am building a database of old US sambo tourny results for our ASA website. Any documentation you may have would be great if you could send it to me. I want to creat a "fight finder" of sorts for US Sambo going as far back as I can. I'v got stuff back to the 70's, some 80's & 90's, most everything post 1998 and beyond. But it is mainly the 80's and early/mid 90's that I need. Anything you have would be of great assistance.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast