Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Who else

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    541
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Who else

    So who else is training in WMA solo? I'm just curious as this seems to be a common way to start. Getting a hold of a manual and/or a intro book written seems to be how alot of folks get their start.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Londrina, Brazil
    Posts
    7
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, Im too.
    There are so few martial arts in my town and the ones here are very different from the ones Id like to practice (wrestling, krav maga, bkb).

    So I really try to learn thru books and videos (may be a lot slower, but its working)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice solo but try to spar whenever I can. I have to drive a good couple hours to spar so I only get to fight two or three times a month, but it is worth it to me so I practice every day if I can.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    windsor UK
    Posts
    344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello
    Well it is better than nothing and it is quite good to do so, but it is to meaningful practice what individual onanism is to making love.

    You idea of taking up Judo, BJJ or Mixed MA on top of your solo practice is a very good idea.

    Or as mortschlag mentioned, if it is possible you could get with someone a few times a month for working on a given technique and or sparing.
    Phil

  5. #5
    MMAMickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,742
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learning solely from videos and books isn't great, but if you learn wrestling moves from a book and then pull them off at judo, that is something different entirely.

    .. and cerkuenik
    There are so few martial arts in my town and the ones here are very different from the ones Id like to practice (wrestling, krav maga, bkb)
    you may say you want to practice bkb (bare knuckle boxing yes?), but trust me you don't. ever done it? It aint nice

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    learning solely from videos and books isn't great, but if you learn wrestling moves from a book and then pull them off at judo, that is something different entirely.
    It's like reading a map (theory from books), then trying to physically navigate a city (pulling off the moves). Reading the map beforehand might help you physically navigate, but it is no substitution for actually physically navigating.

    Practicing the moves on a resisting opponant will give you the skills you can't learn in the books/videos. The books/videos are pretty much useless EXCEPT for using them to GUIDE your practice against a resisting opponant. Just as a map won't physically get you to your destination, but it sure will help guide you when you try to physically get to your destination.

  7. #7
    MMAMickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,742
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    It's like reading a map (theory from books), then trying to physically navigate a city (pulling off the moves). Reading the map beforehand might help you physically navigate, but it is no substitution for actually physically navigating.

    Practicing the moves on a resisting opponant will give you the skills you can't learn in the books/videos. The books/videos are pretty much useless EXCEPT for using them to GUIDE your practice against a resisting opponant. Just as a map won't physically get you to your destination, but it sure will help guide you when you try to physically get to your destination.
    your skill of taking a short post and turning it into an odd rambling analogy of the same meaning is commendable

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    your skill of taking a short post and turning it into an odd rambling analogy of the same meaning is commendable
    I commend your conciseness.:happy:

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have mixed feelings about practicing other MA on the side when you are a historical fencer, though this depends on the individual I think. If you are serious about being historically accurate, you run the risk of contaminating of the overall historical WMA. But on the other hand if you are just trying to add the sword to your overall arsenal, I think cross-training is really a good idea. I myself have considered picking up some Muay Thai or even a little BJJ to help me with my clinch and ground work. It wouldn't be a bad idea for the fencers posting here to attend a local Throwdown either. All depends on what you're looking to do...

  10. #10
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post

    .. and cerkuenik

    you may say you want to practice bkb (bare knuckle boxing yes?), but trust me you don't. ever done it? It aint nice
    There's a small movement towards reviving the skills/rules of (18th-19th century) BKB, but with some modern concessions towards safety; use of MMA gloves and face protectors, etc. We've had some good threads on that subject on BS.net in the past, and I came up with a set of old-school pugilism rules for Bullshido throwdowns a while ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO