Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shinki jujitsu

Hi,

New to the site and looking for someone who has heard of Shinki Ryu Jujitsu.

My MA background includes some TMA, but most recently included JKD, a little BJJ and Filipino MA. I recently moved to a very small town with only 1 MA school which teaches Shinki Ryu Jujitsu. I've been trying to research the style but did not find too much on the internet regarding it, other then the founder's site. It appears to be TMA but recently invented by Soke Terry Stanton based on other styles of jujitsu. I'm trying to gather a little more info before I approach the school and sensei - just want to be forearmed.

Any help is apperciated

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 8:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go there, take a trial class. watch the advanced classes. if it looks good give it a go. if it looks **** and/or useless figure something else out

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 8:49am

Style: Kendo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is their website:

http://www.shinkiryu.com/homepage.htm

and a video from one of their schools in canada:

YouTube- Shiho Jime

as stated before the best thing to do is to actually go watch a class, and ask plenty of questions. Good luck.
    Last edited by evilstan; 12/07/2009 8:54am at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 8:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus, I hope for your sake its not like that video

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 9:03am

Style: Kendo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would still look into a class. Videos are not always the best judge, and these kinds of kata videos are generally not intended to teach you how to actually fight anyway, just basics. See if they have any randori or drills they include in practice, that is where you will find out what they are really capable of.

That said jjj in the US typically is not very good, but there are exceptions.
    Last edited by evilstan; 12/07/2009 9:09am at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 9:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, if there's no randori you should run a mile

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you look through his rank requirements, the history of Jujitsu article (specifically the end, where it discusses judo) and the video, you'll get a fairly obvious view of the school: it's an American version of Japanese jujitsu, focusing on Japanese-named techniques being practiced in a two-man kata format, and a philosophy of combat that is fairly (if not strongly) based in theory, but that covers striking, throws, and groundwork, while focusing not on functionality, but on what they were taught.

This does not mean that they cover standup, clinch, and ground in any appreciable manner. It means that they do punches and backfists and standing wristlocks and mount and guard and standing armbars and osotogari and ogoshi....but I'll bet that none of it is practiced in any useful manner. I bet it looks remarkably similar to my old karate school. :)

If they spar with a good ruleset, then it's probably worthwhile to some small degree. If they don't, it's not. They'll probably say some silly things (regarding gun defense, groundwork, the usefulness of various low-percentage techniques or esoteric strikes, etc) while you're there. If you look at their "Flag Requirements" page (under Jujitsu - Rank Requirements) you'll see that they value a high degree of obeisance, paranoid thinking regarding self-defense, and "magical solution" techniques (foot-stomps as responses to a grab).

I doubt they spar every class, or that the sparring is useful. Taking all this into account, I would try class but probably not want to train with them, since my intent is to get good at fighting.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    12/30/2009 3:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle-Jime View Post
    it's an American version of Japanese jujitsu, focusing on Japanese-named techniques being practiced in a two-man kata format, and a philosophy of combat that is fairly (if not strongly) based in theory, but that covers striking, throws, and groundwork, while focusing not on functionality, but on what they were taught.

This does not mean that they cover standup, clinch, and ground in any appreciable manner. It means that they do punches and backfists and standing wristlocks and mount and guard and standing armbars and osotogari and ogoshi....but I'll bet that none of it is practiced in any useful manner...
    I study Shinki Ryu jujitsu (mixed with Shito Ryu karate), have had a few classes with Soke Stanton, and can confirm Kris' summary. We don't spar, hardly ever randori despite the groundwork in the curriculum, and don't have a strong self-defense mindset. We do a lot of stand-up stuff—wristlocks, throws, and tuite—as well as kata and weapons. Some of it seems useful. Other techniques are taught simply because they are in the curriculum (the instructors I study with have freely admitted this, which I find illogical; if something doesn't work, it shouldn't be in the rank requirements).

I've kept studying the art because it's one of the few legit schools in the area within my price range. You may be able to cherry-pick some techniques if you can integrate them with prior MA experience, as I do. But IMO Shinki Ryu isn't the kind of art one should devote a good chunk of life studying. If you have no other options for martial arts, you could do worse, but you should see if there are any other schools in nearby towns (if you're willing to commute).
    Last edited by Aeryn_S; 12/30/2009 3:09am at .

Posted On:
    5/20/2010 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Come in and ask.....

So I was doing some research and looking at things posted about Shinki Ryu Jujitsu. I noticed a blog about a person in a small town looking to train.
    Pretty obvious to me that you are in Baden and are talking about Wilmot Jujitsu.
    Like the wise people of this forum say,"go and ask", come in and inquire already.
    Yes I do Randori, but not every night. You need to sign an insurance waiver to make sure you are not going to take us to the cleaners if you get hurt.
    Randori is light at first, but as you gain experience and technique the expectations are greater.
    Even though this is a system brought together by an American it does not make it ineffective. If you look at Soke's credentials you will see a man that has dedicated his life to training, but like most traditionalist, is not willing just to give it away to a martial arts taste tester.
    Don't expect this to be a ground and pound art. If you want MMA, take MMA; if you want Tae Kwon Do, take Tae Kwon Do, if you think that Shinki might be for you then try it, but in the end if you do put yourself into something - try your hardest and realize your own potential.
    As for the student that trained with Soke Stanton - have you trained with Soke personally? I suggest that you go ahead and ask him to do some randori - you may be surprised.

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 12:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shinki ryu jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast