Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 2:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Marley's Ghost View Post
    The episode where the stooges started getting drunk and challenging each other and wrecking the house was NOT the first season. Once again, you read what you want to into someone's post.
    Still trying to figure this one out. Yes it did happen in the first season as for the second part, who are you? I'm guessing you're wrong a fair bit and I've called you on it.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 3:27am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Upa is still the only voice of reason or thought in this sub-forum.

The rest of you are idiots.

This article is ****.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 3:53am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    youre not a dog, are you sircmas?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 4:13am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not. So please don't try to have sex with me.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 10:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait... that's "Pizdoff" isn't it?

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 11:05am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no downward slide not even close the UFC is bigger than ever.

As a result of which it will receive more and more critisizm. This is always the case when one company dominates an industry.

I would love to see more money invested in Dream in an attempt to really take on the UFC. I dont think Strikeforce are up to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 12:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    There's no downward slide not even close the UFC is bigger than ever.

As a result of which it will receive more and more critisizm. This is always the case when one company dominates an industry.

I would love to see more money invested in Dream in an attempt to really take on the UFC. I dont think Strikeforce are up to it.
    Dream doesn't necessarily or just need more money. Dream needs to better craft the next generation of crossover stars so that they can create some genuinely compelling feuds and characters that people will tune in and watch.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Still trying to figure this one out. Yes it did happen in the first season as for the second part, who are you? I'm guessing you're wrong a fair bit and I've called you on it.
    Actually, we tend to be in agreement on most things over the years Upa, but you seem to like arguing for argument's sake a lot lately.
    I am not trying to argue that the UFC is going to ****.I said I thought it was on a downward slide, but I also said that the sport is growing and getting bigger every day.Contradictory? No, because what I meant by downward slide was the quality of marquee matchups as of late. There have been some bore snores and there are just too many fights.It would be more of an event to have one great card every month or two than a mediocre card every weekend.
    The fight fixing thing I mentioned only in passing because it seems to come up a lot more now than it did before. why is the suspicion there now ?
    Basically, my major beef is this: the over-the-top fueding and silly trash talk and behavior on TUF has made the UFC come to resemble Professional Wrestling far too much. I don't think its neccessary.The sport is great on its own. I have always hated the phony drama that accompanied pro wrestling and now it has crept into a sport that I love.Not only has it crept in, but it is starting to become an integral component - all because of TUF - an element that the sport itself doesn't even need.I know its good for ratings - but is it good for the sport maintaining its legitimacy?
    So, I guess overall its TUF that I really have the problem with not the UFC per se.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 6:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Marley's Ghost View Post
    I am not trying to argue that the UFC is going to ****.I said I thought it was on a downward slide, but I also said that the sport is growing and getting bigger every day.Contradictory? No, because what I meant by downward slide was the quality of marquee matchups as of late. There have been some bore snores and there are just too many fights.It would be more of an event to have one great card every month or two than a mediocre card every weekend.
    Your opinion is I think overly influenced by the last two to three cards which have been largely decimated due to injuries. 106 was also, imo, a very good card despite losing its headline match (Brock and Carwin).

This necessarily prevents certain matchups being made. Let's go with your proposal of a UFC ppv every other month (for your information there will have been ~14 ppvs in 2009, less than one every six weeks). Six ppv's a year, sure every single one would be good but we also would see very few fighters and champs would fight very infrequently. The UFC would also have to drop more than half its active roster; or are you proposing that guys like Alves and Marquadt should forever be on the undercards?

Regardless, I wouldn't agree that the quality of matchups has actually gone down. Consider this weekend's card:

Penn vs Sanchez
    Mir vs Kongo
    Fitch vs Pierce (was supposed to be... I forget who)
    Florian vs Guida
    Buentello vs Struve (okay, this one sucks)
    Belcher vs Gouveia
    Wiman vs Nelson (also kind of sucks but the loser will be out of the UFC so we all win)
    Hendricks vs Funch (very solid undercard fight due to Hendricks potential)
    Palhares vs Linhares (fabulous matchup but will likely end up being boring)
    Johnson vs Garcia
    Burns vs Grant

This is a very solid card with several fights that have strong title implications. Now consider that there was supposed to be a comain event: Rashad vs Rampage. That got axed because of Rampage thespian desires. Clearly the quality of cards is going down.

It is funny that people are calling the quality of UFC shows into question based on cards that are being aired on Spike TV. I wonder how many of you have seen the quality of many of the Strikeforce challenger cards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 6:54pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Stupid article for a variety of reasons.
    my thoughts exactly.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast