Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 3:00am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wise Guys View Post
    What's so horrible about this artice?
    The article is a case study in how a (theoretically) competent writer can produce garbage despite working in earnest. Since others have already argued against the article on a factual basis, I'll simply list some of its technical faults:
    1. The article begins with a conclusion which the rest of the article is meant to support.
    2. The article ends with an extremely poorly constructed sentence which is itself contradicted by the article (e.g. MMA supporters' voices are being heard, since this article spends a great deal of time referring to the opinions of MMA fans).
    3. The author clearly has no idea how to use paragraphs.
    4. Poor sentence structure pervades the article (e.g. the second paragraph: the effect of "[...] also has fans frustrated" is completely lost because the sentence began with "With a;" for the sentence's structure to have any real purpose, it should begin "Though the" and change "receiving" to "received").
    5. Some sentences are incoherent (e.g. the sixth paragraph: the announcement made perfect sense; if anything, it was the decision which "appeared to make little sense").
    6. Subject-verb disagreement is present (e.g. the seventh paragraph: the assertion was troubling; the assertions were troubling).
    7. The author's assertions aren't supported with evidence (e.g. the eighth paragraph: when has Dana White made exaggerated claims? More importantly, when has Dana White made false claims?).
    8. The author shows a fundamental misunderstanding of karma (i.e. Dana White isn't dead, therefore he can't be affected by his karma).
    9. The author doesn't actually discuss any of the subjects in the article, rather, (s)he has simply stated a series of (presumed) facts (e.g. the progression from the twenty-second to the twenty-third paragraph).
    10. Poorly written sentences lead the reader to misunderstand the author's intended meaning (e.g. the twenty-fourth paragraph seems to state that fans should complain to athletic commissions about Dana White not being allowed to appoint referees and judges).
    11. The author is so caught up in using colloquial language that (s)he destroys the meaning of certain clauses (e.g. the twenty-fifth paragraph: exactly how plain is day on a screen?).
    12. A mistake of articulation is made which is unforgivable, unless English isn't the author's first language (in the twenty-seventh paragraph, "did make" should be "made").
    13. The author uses childish sentence structure in places (e.g. the twenty-eighth paragraph: "In the end, part of the reason why progress is often stifled is because...").
    14. The article ends with a final illustration of the author's pathetic writing (i.e. a period of time can't accomplish anything. Something can be accomplished within a period of time, however).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 8:08am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Altough this isn't Pulitzer material, I agree with some of the thoughts being expressed in it. TUF 10 sucked, the TUF 11 coaches are washed up and they will probably suck and most of the cards from UFC 100 onward have sucked also...but the doomsday scenario that the writer wants to play to us isn't that "doomsdayzy" or anything of the sort. Less cards, more quality

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 8:42am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the article on some levels. One there are too many UFCs without guys from my gym. Two Dana is a braggart. TUF 10 sucked. I should be a coach on TUF 11.

All joking aside they need to slim up the model and make some changes. Dana does need to reel it in a little. The quality of the next season of TUF needs to be picked up. I dont think that rehashing old fan favorite fighters is the way to go but it is worth a shot if they have talented fighters on the show.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 9:00am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    QFT. UFC management, please read 3 Wise Guys quote carefully.

I love watching UFC, but majority of cards are NOT worth $50 PPV.
    Recommendations:
    Put more cards for free (Spike or cut a deal with another network);
    Reduce the PPV price, at least for cards that suck.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wise Guys View Post
    What's so horrible about this artice? Yes, it reads like the author has some issues with Dana White as a person and possibly with the UFC as a promotion, but it makes some very valid points:

-Alexander v. Kimbo did suck

-TUF 11 will suck

-Chuck vs. Tito 3 is unnecessary

-Dana sounds like an ass when he criticizes Fedor

-Dana sounds like an ass when he criticizes Strikeforce, who put on one of the best cards of the year, on a national broadcast network

-TNA wrestling is retarded and should be kept as far away from the UFC as possible.

-There are too many UFC events, to the point where Forrest v. Tito 2 has become a main event.

-There are legitimate issues with judge's scoring.

The author makes it seem like the UFC is in danger of going bankrupt, when that couldn't be further from the truth, but I do think he's correct when he states that the UFC is starting to frustrate fans. Yes, I'll watch Strikeforce and Dream and Bellator. Will that keep me from watching the UFC? No. But I'm not going to buy every UFC PPV, especially when other promotions are putting on better cards for free.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 9:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This would be slightly less idiotic if re-phrased as a proper editorial rather than pretending to be a news piece about the opinion of 'fans' and 'critics' (i.e. the UG).

Wouldn't fix the horrendous quality of the writing, mind you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:04pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, but this "article" is so borderline idiotic in some places I don't even know where to begin.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 4:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ View Post
    I love watching UFC, but majority of cards are NOT worth $50 PPV.
    They are worth what hundreds of thousands of people will pay for them.

Which is $50.

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 4:57pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Irie Evergreen, I don't think you know the concept of karma as well as you think you do. But I agree with pretty much everything else you wrote, as well as your avatar. Any chance of a sample?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    They are worth what hundreds of thousands of people will pay for them.

Which is $50.
    Very good, Turing.

Looks like those Econ 1a classes are really paying off for you.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 5:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Army Combatives, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do agree that it seems that there has been a flood of events lately but I think that the author's disdain is predicated by the (false) belief that you need big name headliners to make a good fight. A good example is any fight with John Fitch in it. He is a name but he isn't one of the big ones. This does not prevent him from putting on exciting fights every time he steps into the cage.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast