Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choke vs. Neck Crank

I apologize in advance if this is not appropriate for this subforum. If that's the case, would a moderator please move to a more appropriate location?

I've been playing a lot with using my gi to choke my opponent from mount, side control and on top in half guard. It's a wicked good time.

That being said, I'm being told that sometimes it is more of a neck crank than a choke...though I'm having a lot of trouble as I'm trying to hit it to make the distinction.

Any tips on how I might be able to tell that I'm applying a crank versus a choke when often the attack is being made in a way that I can't really see? When I start hitting it my intention is for it to be a choke.

This happens most often when I am in side control, thread my gi under the head and then over on top of the neck, and while still holding it I switch to north-south, grab the collar w/ my other hand and switch back to side control. There are a few variations on this choke...but again, sometimes it ends up being a choke, sometimes a crank.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It usually only takes a slight adjustment to turn a choke into a crank. Generally speaking if the person's neck is being moved towards their end Range of Motion or has pressure against the cervical spine rather then the carotid arteries or windpipe then it becomes a crank. You are probably moving people's necks when your applying a gi choke.

To illustrate, if you notice a person's neck doing any of these then you are probably turning it into a crank:

Forward Neck Flexion

Backward Neck Extension

Lateral Neck Flexion

Diagonal Neck Flexion

Neck Rotation

Neck Rotation plus Extension

(Sorry I could not find a picture of this. Try to imagine you have a RNC then you crossface him and pull his neck backwards.)

Hope that helps.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 12:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That does help. Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 9:31pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But, excepting the fact that it's a douche move in training, if the crank looks like a choke it IS a choke generally speaking.

I've been "choked" on my teeth and face and cranked to tap by many "chokes" over the years. Hell, my sidechoke is usually a crank due to my fat arms unless you have an ostrich neck.
    It's legit in most competitions as long as you're going for a legit choke and not blatantly cranking. Apply pressure gently and you'll get the tap 'cause there's nothing that says DQ for neck-cranking like an opponent with a herniated disc in his neck...

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its like when it's a choke it's a choke, when it's a crank it coulda been a choke, so it's still a choke cause it coulda been a crank, you know, and I'm sorry cause it could be a crank, it could be a crank, but if it's a choke...then the ref won't know the difference.

If you're cranking too much, you're doing it wrong anyway, cause a good crank should make for a quick tap, ie not enough time to get caught cheating.

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 8:07pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can see examples of neckcranks from Judo (yes, Judo), here: http://judoinfo.com/kubiwaza.htm Not legal in competition.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 8:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again all for the help.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Less technical, but still useful rule of thumb: if the person being neck cranked can't say the words "Neck crank!" to complain, then its a choke.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 2:13am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if they gurgle them? I did that at a tourney and the guy had to let go of the choke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 3:30am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I'd do is have people try to do the same move on you and see if it feels like a choke or a crank.

What you'll also get is some people with bad necks will feel as if it's a crank even if technically it is a choke and would only be a choke on someone with no pre-existing neck injury.