222295 Bullies, 4421 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Shikari is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2

    Posted On:
    7/30/2010 4:52am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a look at the initial post, it is by someone called Dougal something. A Dougal 'Hodgson' has been messaging people on the school's facebook group and speaking badly about the school. Bit of shock since everyone who goes to the school always seems to speak very highly of it. Asking the school about this 'former student', it turns out no Dougal Hodgson has ever attended the school. Bit strange?! Best say no more! Then two group members recently just added to the school group:

    Alex: is anyone else getting messages from a bloke called 'Dougal Hodgson' lol 'he' sounds like a competing school going for a bit of foul play...
    22 July at 19:59 Comment Like Flag

    Kieron: Yup, he's not very convincing in his arguements either, he likes to repeat himself.
    23 July at 13:09 Like
    Last edited by Shikari; 7/30/2010 4:59am at .
  2. Drake LaMancha is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    shawnee kansas
    Posts
    289

    Posted On:
    7/31/2010 5:09pm


     Style: TKD/karate/jkd noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn it was done before I could predict it, the old it is a guy from another school stealing students ploy. I think this one is going to get interesting ffor about a minute.
  3. Dee Kelly is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    8/01/2010 12:19am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Baji

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all that follow this thread.

    Qufu is actually a good school.

    In terms of Chinese Kung fu Schools? Its western friendly and has good masters. My first hand experience of dealing with the management of the school has always been good. I'm sorry to hear that Dougalround had a bad experience. However, I'd like to know if before heading to the school he contacted the school? To both ask about the environment and or the masters that teach at the school. As you know. Not every website is updated regularly and masters can have holidays or have other commitments. These questions and his complaints could easily have been solved by contacting the school. If however, he did contact the school and was mislead this is a different story. In that case please drop me a line with your full name when you arrived and the full details of your complaints and I'll look into the issue. These schools depend on their reputations. Not all schools in China care. However, the schools I work with do.

    Basically, if you want to go to China please use some common sense. Its a long way to go and will cost money so make sure you're making the right choices to avoid disappointment. Often my job is managing the expectations of the people who attend these schools.

    You can have two people who go to the same school and both potentially have very different opinions and experience of the school. This can be due to their master (instructor) their fellow students, things that happen or something else.

    As far as Dougalrounds complaint goes. I can only tell you that this complaint was one that was sent to the schools facebook page and was cut to shreds by the other students who attended or have attended the school. In fact there was actually some doubt as to whether the complaint was actually genuine.

    In honesty, this is not important or an issue to be labored over.

    The complaint/review whether genuine or not highlights a number of important issues. These are responsibility and improved communication.

    What I'd advise you to do if you plan to go to a kung fu school in China, is get as much info as possible on that school. Information that's independent!

    Communication with the school or those who know the school can help and can be very important.

    What I often do in China with StudyMartialArts.Org is visit schools and speak to their management and check their conditions. So, if you want an opinion on schools I've visited I can give it to you. In addition if I've not visited a school, (which is highly likely, China is a monster of a county) I can give you help and advice on what I've heard if anything as well as the practicalities of living in China.

    I'm not saying my martial arts skills are top notch cos they're not. As far as Martial Arts go I won't stop learning and am a persist ma legebi. I'm not a gru or a master. I'm a teacher and a student. I'm in China cos I can study martial arts. I can work and have a great life and do what I love and practice in a park with out some sewer rat saying "Hey Minster! Hey minster what you doin? You think you're karate kid or wat?"

    What I am saying is that with the experience I have I'm happy to help others get the most out of studying martial arts in China.

    What I tend to do when people contact me is manage their expectations. For people visiting schools I give them as much information as I can so that they can make the best choice for themselves. I listen to their background and what they want so I can better advise and give them the right information or options so they can work toward achieving their goals.

    However, the old adage of bringing a horse to water and making the **** drink can often apply.

    During my time helping people study in China I've actually spoken to students who've been asked by other potential students whether they can learn how to levitate during the month they plan to attend the school (urban myth or not). Everyone should know it takes at least two months to learn the skill of levitation.

    Now apart from those who expect to be able to levitate some undisciplined winy bastards expect the schools discipline and the masters (instructors) to be either whipping them constantly (perverts), be their spirit guides or alternatively rid them of their problems. Problems that range from alcohol to drugs, to people wanting to get fit (loose weight) run away from their past or are just socially inept assholes who've watched too many kung fu movies. Whatever their reason be it these or others. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter. Whatever their reasons they are making a positive step. Studying Martial Arts in China or anywhere else is a worth while and positive thing that can enrich your life and create greater awareness.

    The important thing is that the student(S) begin to take responsibility for themselves. Begin to take REAL Responsibility for their lives, their actions and achieving what they want. Whether it's at a kung fu school, in their work or in their relationships with the world and others.

    With great power comes great responsibility....Web slingers, just be more responsible for YOUR choices and what YOU GET out of your experience in life and in school. China is a fantastic place full of possibilities and adventure. Possibilities and Adventure that you might not get at home. Make the most of it.
    Last edited by Dee Kelly; 8/01/2010 1:00am at .
  4. Martialart is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    4/18/2013 11:58am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Qufu is a very bad school. I spent an extended time there. If you go there seeking knowledge on Buddhism and Chinese culture, a pleasant atmosphere of learning, and most importantly self-defense abilities utilizing the martial arts you learn, YOU WILL NOT GET IT, despite what their website says. The masters there are physically strong no doubt, but they have mental problems. They get angry very quickly, get angry at the wrong times, and have poor personal communication skills. It is difficult even to discuss your own training plan, which they act like is secret even though it does not vary much even for the long term students. It is very obvious to me they have mental problems. They are not upfront about what they teach. For example, if you ask them the all-important question of 'when will we learn to use the moves that we learn in the many forms we study in real life fight simulation or sparring,' the head master is liable to growl, literally growl at you. In fact growling is the preferred method of getting a point across with those people. These so called monks drink alcohol and go out. If you want that quality stay at home. Before I went I was warned that if a Shaolin master gets angry frequently he is not a true master.

    Their training plan is mainly Sanda which is kickboxing, and it's not good training at that, mostly hitting pads. It has little to do with real life fighting and elegant kung fu, not to mention it is unnatural and not worth traveling to China for! In fact I feel in many ways aspects of my ability of self-defense, both verbal and physical, and my spirituality have declined due to the training and the harsh dealings of the teachers, and the lack of a school-like learning environment. Some forms learned were competitive wushu instead of authentic, but perhaps that's how the monks are taught at the temple.

    You can judge a school by the students. The old students, of which there are not many staying over a year, and the new students perform the same exact power training exercises. There is no learning of secret skills even for the old students, nor individualized training. if you want to devote a year or more of your time to becoming strong, you ought to have something real to show for it. Kickboxing sparring is the main method of sparring training, and does not utilize ANY kung fu skills (in fact gloves are worn). In fact I got a jealous growl when I showed my teacher a skill I had (he made some excuses in his mind that he could not do it himself). The students, instead of becoming peaceful with time are not afraid to openly show animosity or talk behind each others' backs, something antithetical to genuine kung fu training. There is a bad atmosphere of weakness and appeasement on the part of the leadership. Sometimes they treat questioning and enthusiastic student as enemies, praise the bullies (which is a term some teachers can be classified as), and get caught up in the students' personal conflicts and emotions. I was amazed at this insolence and blame it on the lay-monks' bad habits. The new teachers that periodically come from the temple seem amazed at the lack of discipline and spirituality in the place too.

    There even exists a bad habit of talking with each other or with a translator in Chinese about a student and staring at the students while they are warming up or training. Someone ought to tell them being straightforward is best. If you ask them plainly, 'what are you looking at' or 'what did you say about me' they will become uptight and indignant. They ought to be training students instead of judging.

    However, doing fitness exercises for sometime will make you better at doing fitness exercises. If you can work to do 50 pull ups, 100 push-ups on the fist, 500 sit-ups, 100 squats and run everyday a few kilometers, without breaking them individually into sets, for 3 or 4 days per week, you will be far stronger than the older students who have stayed many months and years. The maximum amount of pushups they ask you to do is 50, usually 30. There are people in the world that can do much more than that. The older students are not treated fairly in that they do the same exercise and the same training as the new students, only forms differ. Also, even the older students don't train hard enough to hold MA BU for a measly 5 minutes (let alone longer) without rising up. Even a high ma bu, they can't hold. And ma bu is the single most important kung fu exercise. Many of these students love to get drunk and chase women, ignorant of the fact that this is bad for kung fu training and personal relationships. The Shaolin school ought to know how to discipline students better than an average dojo or club in America you would think.

    All in all you'd be better off staying at home and training the above mentioned fitness exercises and learning forms from other sources.
    Last edited by Martialart; 4/18/2013 12:38pm at .
  5. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    466

    Posted On:
    4/18/2013 12:31pm


     Style: Out of Practice

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . . . I think you might not be on the website you think you are on.

    Maybe you should read a little here, and get a feel for things before posting again? Most of the regular users here are probably just going to laugh a little at what you wrote, then find something better to do with their time.

    (Also, what is wrong with using pads and physical conditioning to train?)
  6. Krijgsman is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    557

    Posted On:
    4/18/2013 1:20pm


     Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    . . . I think you might not be on the website you think you are on.

    Maybe you should read a little here, and get a feel for things before posting again? Most of the regular users here are probably just going to laugh a little at what you wrote, then find something better to do with their time.

    (Also, what is wrong with using pads and physical conditioning to train?)
    I was going to say... that sounds exactly what I would want in a kung fu school.
  7. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    466

    Posted On:
    4/18/2013 1:30pm


     Style: Out of Practice

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I was going to say... that sounds exactly what I would want in a kung fu school.
    A semi-isolated sanda camp somewhere in China does sound nice. . .
  8. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:24pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    0
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    The origin of modern guns were essentially hand held canons. Yet no one tries to find the ancient art of canon making and then claim it is better than a modern assault rifle. Why does this logic utterly escape people when they think about martial arts?
    Absolutely.

    Human physiology today is every bit as different from what it was, a thousand years ago, as assault rifles are from hand-held cannons.
  9. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,479

    Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Absolutely.

    Human physiology today is every bit as different from what it was, a thousand years ago, as assault rifles are from hand-held cannons.
    Human understanding of it certainly is.
  10. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    466

    Posted On:
    4/18/2013 2:39pm


     Style: Out of Practice

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Absolutely.

    Human physiology today is every bit as different from what it was, a thousand years ago, as assault rifles are from hand-held cannons.
    If I didn't know how serious you are about absolutely everything, I might be tempted to think that you were employing sarcasm there. . .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.