...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Richard Marcinko consumer product explosion

So, until a few days ago, I hadn't heard of Richard Marcinko. I guess that he's some kind of historical Navy SEAL or something like that. I learned about him recently because I'd been suckered by a trailer into buying Rogue Warrior, the official Richard Marcinko video game, which is actually a pretty crappy and silly game.

Here's the trailer that made me buy the game: YouTube- Rogue Warrior E3 2009 Trailer [HQ] (Rate This Game)
    Here's the actual gameplay: YouTube- Rogue Warrior Gameplay [HD]

I did some searches on YouTube and found out that apparently Richard Marcinko has a novel, and action figures.

YouTube- Richard Marcinko discusses Rogue Warrior: Dictator's Ransom

Hilariously, this very pathetic and strange video came up as related as well. It says Emma Watson Exposed, except as far as I can tell, she isn't: YouTube- Emma Watson Flashes

:gwbdance::qtank::coffee2::suicide:
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 1:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met Richard about 12 years ago and got one of his books signed. I have family in SpecOps and most of them say that the majority of his stuff is BS. Good books though!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 1:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I met Richard about 12 years ago and got one of his books signed. I have family in SpecOps and most of them say that the majority of his stuff is BS. Good books though!
    Well the game is total BS. It's not remotely a tactical shooter. It's like going back in time to the early to mid 90s in terms of FPS gameplay. The only thing that's remotely realistic about it is that some of the silent kills you can perform are reminiscient of sentry removal techniques from that period. The game lets you RNC someone to death (although it's faster than it would be in real life), stab someone in the back of the head where the spine enters the skull, do a rear guillotine neck breaker, stab someone in the carotid artery, etc.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 4:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, here is the best part of the whole game, which you can enjoy without having to tolerate the gameplay: YouTube- Rogue Warrior Official Mickey Rourke End Credits Theme

EDIT: May not be safe for work due to profanity.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of what's in his books is complete BS, but I always assumed he figured the people who cared would know that and the rest just wanted a story. I don't completely agree with that, but I don't think he believes his own hype.

He gives what I read as a heads-up not to take things too seriously in the first couple of pages of his first book about Seal Team Six--his character is on a plane about to be dropped into some hostage rescue mission, and he checks one of his MP5 magazines and finds that it's been loaded with simunitions. "Dammit!" he thinks. Another drill.
    The reader is either expected to think that some force loaded everyone's magazines with Simunitions, somehow knowing that no live rounds would slip in, AND that no member of the elite Seal Team Six would load their own magazines or even check their weapons before going into combat, AND that everyone would observe safe Simunitions practices without knowing that they were actually using Simunitions in the first place . . . . . you get the idea . . . . or they were supposed to say to themselves, "Ah, there's that grain of salt I've been looking for today."

As far as I know, he really was with Seal Team Six, and you don't bluff your way into that with a good story. His Red Cell stories may have a grain of truth in them, too. But as a writer, he's a pulp action writer with a good "platform."

I've never checked to see whether he was really sent to federal prison for misuse of funds, but that wouldn't surprise me. It would surprise me if his story that it was all due to politics was true . . . more likely some people were glad to see him go, but there was some fire to go along with the smoke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 10:35pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not gonna lie, I kind of liked some parts in Rogue Warrior, even though the entire book was self masturbatory on the part of Marcinko, and made him look like a scumbag. Give me Dick Couch over Marcinko any day.

And Ronin, you should have gone with Modern Warfare 2.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met a guy in the '80s who was with him in the SEALS,
    (mentioned in Rouge Warrior as Luchinski) and he says
    they did have a few crazy adventures and that Marchiko
    was a bada$$ back in the day.

`~/

btw - The books were ghost written.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 12:37am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did I completely buy that he wrote the books himself? I feel naive.

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 7:15pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Clown of Bethlehem View Post

He gives what I read as a heads-up not to take things too seriously in the first couple of pages of his first book about Seal Team Six--his character is on a plane about to be dropped into some hostage rescue mission, and he checks one of his MP5 magazines and finds that it's been loaded with simunitions. "Dammit!" he thinks. Another drill.
    The reader is either expected to think that some force loaded everyone's magazines with Simunitions, somehow knowing that no live rounds would slip in, AND that no member of the elite Seal Team Six would load their own magazines or even check their weapons before going into combat, AND that everyone would observe safe Simunitions practices without knowing that they were actually using Simunitions in the first place . . . . . you get the idea . . . .
    I was going to mention this exact example. I remember reading this in his novel and thinking what the ****? They were surprised it was simunition....right.
    I put the book down after that paragraph.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 1:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll have a better time stabbing people in the neck in Assassin's Creed 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast