Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 2:28pm

Style: Hybrid Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most MA actors are probably like most Martial Artists, period. Those who study live styles like Van Damme (Kickboxing, Muay Thai), Chuck Norris (BJJ), Sonny Chiba (Kyokushin, Judo) and Dolph Lundgren (Kyokushin, Judo, Boxing) can most likely use their fists for real.
    Those who study compliant/larpy arts like Seagal and Jet Li (Jet atleast admits it and claims that he does not enjoy fighting. Plus he seems like really nice guy) probably cant.

And of course, when it comes to Aikido, none can beat the KING OF MOTHERFUCKING SOUTHTOWN!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 3:05pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Busey theory lol, good point SonofSpiridonov! Dolph I'd reckon he could fight, would love to do kyokushin unfortunately none in my area.

What about tony jaa? I'm not sure if he did muay thai, or just learned it for on screen, I know he done gymnastics, so they could have taught him the moves easy enough. Judging by his movies (which is the best way to judge real fighting:icon_roll) he's not exactly into too much wire work, and admits it's fancy not for real thai.

So is seagel the worst? of them all.

Steven seagal is so tough, that his farts contain enough positive ki energy to
    provide power for a small village in alaska..

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 4:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Hmmm... he claims to have been a CIA agent. Claims everyone is afraid to fight him, including major legit MA fighters. Etc....

Yep, seems that way to me.....
    I wonder what the thought process behind making the CIA claims was? After 'Above The Law' came out and did quite well, did he think to himself "Well, if I imply that the character of Nico was sort-of based on me and my experiences, then the people who liked my movie will think that I'm a real badass with the r3al deadly. It'll get me talked about and it's not as if anyone can easily check this **** out..."?

Or had he been saying it before he became famous too?

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 4:33pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post

How the **** did he manage to become a big time movie star?
    Michael Ovitz was his student and also wanted to make good on a claim that he could make anyone a star.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 5:01pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofSpiridonov View Post
    Most MA actors are probably like most Martial Artists, period. Those who study live styles like Van Damme (Kickboxing, Muay Thai), Chuck Norris (BJJ), Sonny Chiba (Kyokushin, Judo) and Dolph Lundgren (Kyokushin, Judo, Boxing) can most likely use their fists for real.
    Those who study compliant/larpy arts like Seagal and Jet Li (Jet atleast admits it and claims that he does not enjoy fighting. Plus he seems like really nice guy) probably cant.

And of course, when it comes to Aikido, none can beat the KING OF MOTHERFUCKING SOUTHTOWN!

I could be wrong, but if Van Damme studies those arts I'm pretty sure it's recent. I was always under the impression that his "martial" skill came from a green belt in karate (shotokan I think) and ballet. I thought his claims at being a Kickboxing champion were made up. Of course someone could prove me wrong. I'm definitely not that knowledgeable about him.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 5:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    I could be wrong, but if Van Damme studies those arts I'm pretty sure it's recent. I was always under the impression that his "martial" skill came from a green belt in karate (shotokan I think) and ballet. I thought his claims at being a Kickboxing champion were made up. Of course someone could prove me wrong. I'm definitely not that knowledgeable about him.
    Dunno about the Muay Thai/Kickboxing but he was something like 18-1 in full-contact karate as a young man.

There was a time when people were saying that he'd made it all up because they couldn't find his fight records - then someone had the bright idea of looking for him under his birth name... :toothy10:

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the Tussey article . . . . well, Jerry Tussey is a hell of a gunsmith. I don't really know a lot about his competition days, but he's supposed to have been awful good, and he sure can build a gun. Most good gunsmiths can run the things pretty well.

On the other hand, what he's relating there are tales of good marksmanship, not training the LAPD or some counter-terrorism SWAT team. Genuinely good marksmanship, but I think there marks are there to see that Mr. Tussey was puffing Seagal up a little bit . . . I have a hard time believing Jerry Tussey was *that* impressed with somebody hitting points on a diamond sight-in target with a custom pistol at 20 yards. That's hard, and a LOT harder than it looks, but it doesn't put him anywhere near the top shooters in the country.
    His story about Seagal magically knowing about a barrel problem too small to be measured with standard instruments after a few magazines of ammunition is hard to choke down. In a pistol . . . firing .45 acp (oh, excuse me, .45 ACID, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) semi-automatically . . . the barrel and slide move and reset on every shot. On a Tussey gun, that linkage and lockup should be very, very consistent, but nothing is perfect. Add to this that he's presumably firing either factory ammunition or handloads developed for another gun, and there's no way he can rule out all those variables and blame an accuracy wobble so small the smith couldn't detect it on a barrel flaw. Bull. If it happened, it's a coincidence.
    Much more likely, Seagal sent the gun back, Tussey worked it over and tested it and couldn't find the flaw, but Seagal insisted and in the end Tussey shrugged, swapped in a new barrel, and ate the cost to keep a customer. Of course, I don't know Mr. Tussey and I'm sure he's an honest man, but it's hard to say what happens between the interview and the article in these industry/hobby magazines sometimes.

The thing to remember about that whole claim, though, is who made it. As in, we don't actually know who made that claim. We would be justified in suspecting that it wasn't Steven Seagal.

And give him this--he's a better shot than most of the patrolling police officers right now, if that article is to be believed.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 7:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops . . . Terry Tussey. And here's the first episode if you want to see it:
    http://www.aetv.com/steven-seagal-la...id=53449039001

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 9:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Part II of that episode (Way of the Gun) he's supposedly teaching a guy to shoot so he won't fail his weapon qualification. He's not doing bad things or teaching bad things there--there's no bullshit in his shooting, and he's clearly a good shot.

The TV show is exaggerating quite a bit, though. For one thing, the shots he's making on the small objects are standard trick shots often done at longer distances. When they say "Distance: 20feet," that sounds impressive if you haven't tried it, but the standard starting distance for most people is 7 yards, or 21 feet. It's still harder than it looks, but my local indoor range hosts aspirin matches in which everyone is shooting at aspirin tablets sitting on boards, and 21 feet is the shortest range. Notice he switches to the .22 Ruger with a bull barrel for those shots, too--nothing wrong with that, but it's a weapon built more for target shooting, with a low-recoil round and a heavy barrel that's very consistent, and I imagine he's had some trigger work done, too. I have a MkI that's a lot like that MkII/III he's shooting there except that his is stainless and mine's blued. It's a great gun but much easier to hit a small bullseye with than a .45 designed for carry and combat. It's nothing the average guy who practices a lot can't do, but it does mean he practices a lot and works at shooting well, which is great.

Also, I can't imagine what kind of LEO qualification that deputy guy would have failed with his shooting. From what they showed, he was not that far behind Seagal on a human outline target; he was just wowed by Seagal's trick shooting on the matches and q-tips. Seagal was shooting nice tight little groups at short ranges, but most police qualifications would be no challenge at all to the average club USPSA or IDPA or Bullseye shooter, and I sincerely doubt that deputy was really afraid he was going to fail his qual.
    But there's no doubt you would tighten groups playing the kind of accuracy games they were playing. It wasn't bullshido.
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 12/05/2009 9:51pm at .

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 9:48pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it weird that Seagull's always claiming native american ancestry or italian. Apparently he's half jewish, half Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    Ah yes, what you are referring to is what I like to call my "Busey theory". Basically it goes like this:

Gary Busey is fucking crazy. He has never "acted" a day in his life. Film crews just follow him around and film whatever rat in a tin ****-house insane things he happens to be doing that day, and then construct a movie around it.
    http://www.buseyworld.com/

I half think this website is maintained by gary busey himself.
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast