I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 7:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, he's Pure Magic Pants.

I think anyone would do fine against him, as long as you don't give the t3h wrist!!

Then, my friends, we all know what happens there...

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 7:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DayOfTheJackass View Post
    any truth to what I heard that he has dan grades in judo and some of karate, too?
    Well, according to his IMDB bio (which can be edited by any idiot - and looks as though it has been), he does.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000219/bio

"The enigmatic Seagal commenced his martial arts training at the age of seven under the tutelage of well-known karate instructor and author Fumio Demura, and in the 1960s commenced his aikido training in Orange County, CA, under the instruction of Harry Ishisaka."

"Although he is a master in Aikido and Kendo, he also holds black belts in Karate and Judo."

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 7:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    "

"Although he is a master in Aikido and Kendo, he also holds black belts in Karate and Judo."
    And those black belts were given by none other than...

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 7:56am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube- Steven Seagal Runs Like a Girl

Mtripp you are officially awesome, that story was fucking amazing!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 9:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I used to be a Buddhist, but the whole karma thing.... the if you hit him back you will get bad karma, etc. Put me off, so I left it. But I do have some understanding of the theory, I just don't follow it's principles. Seagal on the other hand, let him just stick to Aikido. After all he can't do much else.
    Don't let Deraus see this post. Karma is not this simple.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shhh don't even mention that name IIF or he'll appear to tell everyone to shut the **** up!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 1:10pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, quick story:

My dad knows Seagal personally, because of some favors he did for him. Occasionally, Seagal has called the house and even spoke to my sister for a long time about Mono. After the whole Mafia involvement thing, we haven't heard from him at all, so I don't know what the **** is going on, nor do I really care since I never met the man.

Anyway, my brother lives in Cali, and he and his girlfriend were invited to go and visit Seagal's house, expecting to maybe sit down and talk with him over drinks and/or food. My brother is also really into Aikido and traditional Japanese martial arts. When they got there, Seagal was watching Hannibal with some girl my brother assumed to be his girlfriend, and some kind of gymnast and her manager were trying to get him to promote her or put her in a movie. The manager was like this sleazy guy who was totally brown nosing Seagal saying things like, "Yeah, see what this girl does is exactly like what you do in your movies!"

So while both these things are going on, he had this very casual laid back, "Oh look, there are people in my house, I suppose I should talk to them" kind of conversation in between this manager trying to sell Seagal on this girl...while also watching Hannibal. They were not really graciously received and Seagal is not the best of hosts...is the point I'm trying to make.

Once, my brother asked him if he knew any good instructors for Aikido who were on the West Coast or in San Francisco where my brother lived, and Seagal's response was, "Only me. I'm the only legit Aikido teacher on the West coast."

It got to a point where Seagal disappeared somewhere for a long time and never returned. Not knowing what to do, my brother and his girlfriend decided they should just leave. As they left, the guy in the booth at the gate stuck his head out and shouted at them as they walked past, "You're leaving? Oh, okay...well bye!"

Anyway, I had heard that Seagal's skills were legit but his ego is WAY out of line. Two things I wanted to ask if anyone knew about:

1) I heard he was one of the best shooters in the United States (maybe an exaggeration from the guy who told me this), and had taught the LAPD and various other LE organizations firearms techniques. Anyone care to verify this? I saw an episode on A&E showcasing his firearms skill and he seemed pretty good, but I'm shitty when it comes to shooting so what the **** do I know?

2) That Seagal had actually trained with the Machado brothers a bit and has some ground skills. But after hearing MTripp confirm the infamous Lebell choke story, I think number 2 is bullshit. Haha. "****."

I never met the man myself, so I can't comment on his character.

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 2:58pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judging from the sword scenes in his movies, a "master" of kendo he is not. I wasn't aware he had even done any training.

I've never heard anyone dispute his aikido skills. He's apparently the real deal there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 3:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMDB is about as reliable as Wiki when it comes to information.

Certain info is spot on but, Bios tend to be off until fixed.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I heard he was one of the best shooters in the United States (maybe an exaggeration from the guy who told me this), and had taught the LAPD and various other LE organizations firearms techniques. Anyone care to verify this? I saw an episode on A&E showcasing his firearms skill and he seemed pretty good, but I'm shitty when it comes to shooting so what the **** do I know?
    Absolute bullshit would be my guess. The LAPD has their own pretty good (for a police force) firearms trainers and the budget to bring in real trainers.
    Although I'm no expert myself, I've been able to work and correspond with some of the top trainers and competitors in the country, and I've never heard this claim before, nor any mention of Seagal at all from any of these people.
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast