Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 6:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenso View Post
    Here's a bit of evidence regarding Seagal's claims and their validity. Your post reminded me that I'd seen an article with Seagal in it a couple of decades ago. I dug back and found the article: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=b...age&q=&f=false

In it, Mr. Seagal is interviewed, and claims to have been an uchi deshi of Ueshiba sensei, and to have spent the last few years of Ueshiba's life serving him. This is quite interesting. Seagal talks about training with Ueshiba, about massaging him, and about delving into the secrets of Ueshiba's teachings. What's REALLY interesting about all this is that Ueshiba Morihei died in 1969, and Mr. Seagal didn't go to Japan until 1971. You can draw your own conclusions from there.
    That's a great find. Seagal would've only been 16/17 when Ueshiba died.

http://web.archive.org/web/200712281...articals2.html

I was going to post a link to this interview WRT his Japanese sword claims but also here, he says, on Ueshiba:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Seagal
    Q: And your experience with 0-sensei?
    Sensei: I have very little experience with 0-sensei. I was able to see him several times. I've seen him speak. I was very close to his spiritual teachers and I still am. I think I was the only white person to ever go exactly in the footsteps of 0-sensei in terms' of his mystical training. I became a priest in O'moto Kyo and went to all the aesthetic training with the priest that 0-sensei was raised with. I never really knew him. I never got to butt heads with him on the mat or was thrown around by him or anything else.
    Somehow, I don't think that O-Sensei was the sort of guy who'd just let anyone hang out with him and massage his pecs at night...

Moral of this story? Never tell tall tales an interview if you're not prepared to back them up and stick by them for the rest of your life.

On Kenjutsu:

Q: I read in an article that kenjutsu is a part of your life?
    Sensei: Well, to me Aikido and kenjutsu are the same thing. If you've seen my technique, I'm always cutting. Today we just did a couple of stabs at this and that, but when you watch me a lot you'll see I'm always cutting with the feet and the hand; tesabaki, ashisabaki. The hand and feet angles are all kenjutsu.
    Q: Many years ago, when I saw "The Challenge," I saw your name in the credits. I was wondering how you got in to do the choreography?
    Sensei: This is an interesting story. I was in Kyoto and there was a sword master by the name of Onoha Ittoryu,very very good at the inside stuff .Mifune, the Japanese actor, was to do "The Challenge." The guy who choreographed all the famous director Kurosawa's stuff, "Red Beard", "Seven Samurai" and all that had just died.
    He was a great kenjutsu master and Onoha Sensei would not teach these people and believed I was a good swordsman. They came to me and hired me to choreograph the fighting and the sword and Mifune said, "Who is this white guy?" Mifune said to call up this Onoha guy and tell him to get down here. Onoha comes down in a Hakama and Kimono, the next day. He walks over to Mifune and says, "I came down here to tell you that this guy over here can teach sword as good, if not better than anybody I know." He bowed and left.
    I recommend reading the whole thing. He makes quite a few vaguely Duxian comments about his experiences and abilities there.
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 12/07/2009 6:04pm at .

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 6:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jean-Claude Van Vaerenbergh

Year - Oponent - Event - Win/Loss
    ----------------------------------

1976: against Toon Van Oostrum (European Karate Union) > Win, 1 round KO
    1977: against Maurice Devos (Netherlands Kick Boxing) > Win, 1 round TKO
    1978: against Eric Bruno Strauss (European Karate Union) > Win, 1 round KO
    1978: against Michel Juvillier (European Karate Union) > Win, 1 round KO
    1978: against Orlando Lang (European Karate Union) > Win, 1 round TKO
    1978: against Emile Leibman (World All Style) > Win, 1 round KO
    1978: against Cyrille Nollet (World All Style) > Win, 1 round TKO
    1979: against Andre Robaeys (World All Style) > Win, 1 round KO
    1979: against Jacques Piniarski (World All Style) > Win, 1 round KO
    1979: against Rolf Risberg (World All Style) > Win, 1 round KO
    1979: against Sherman Bergman (World Full Contact) > Win, 1 round KO
    1979: against Gilberto (Gil) Diaz (World Full Contact) > Win, 1 round TKO
    1979: against Patrick Teugels (World Full Contact) > Loss, 2 round decision
    1980: against Mustapha-Ahmad Benamou (European Professional) > Win, 1 round KO
    1980: against Bekim-Moussa Muhammad (European Professional) > Win, 1 round TKO
    1980: against Micheal J. Heming (European Professional) > Win, 2 round TKO
    1980: against Georges Verlugels (Professional Karate Association) > Win, 2 round KO
    1980: against Andres Kovac (Professional Karate Association) > Win, 2 round KO
    1980: against Patrick Teugels (Professional Karate Association) > Win, 1 round TKO
    Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 12/07/2009 6:18pm at . Reason: Correcting error in data
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 6:08pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagal, master douche
    I was in Kyoto and there was a sword master by the name of Onoha Ittoryu
    Bwa-ha-ha!

Itto-ryu is the school of kenjutsu that forms much of the basis for modern kendo. The name means "one sword school". Ono-ha is a well-known branch of that school. It was founded around 1630 by a guy named Ono Jirouemon Tadaaki. "Ha" just means branch, in other words it's the branch created by Ono. The current head guy is named Sasamori.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 6:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Bwa-ha-ha!

Itto-ryu is the school of kenjutsu that forms much of the basis for modern kendo. The name means "one sword school". Ono-ha is a well-known branch of that school. It was founded around 1630 by a guy named Ono Jirouemon Tadaaki. "Ha" just means branch, in other words it's the branch created by Ono. The current head guy is named Sasamori.
    Hahaha, ****. That's absolutely hilarious. Busted - like a fox!

Here's an alternative account of the same incident:
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...pic.php?t=6823

I'd like to add to this thread another story about Seagal that comes out of the time he was in Japan. This story was told to me by Dave Lowry who is a contributor to Black Belt magazine. Seagal was the martial arts coordinator on the set of the movie The Final Challenge with Scott Glen. Well another man was brought in to do the sword coordination. His name was Donn Draeger. For those of you familar with early American martial artists in Japan, Donn was accomplished in judo and kenjitsu. He studied many various forms of sword work. Well, Seagal though a fit and said he knew plenty about swords, Draeger then asked Seagal for his sword creditionals- who his instructors were. Seagal said Sesiki Abe (who is a 9th dan in aikido and study aikido sword which is about as ineffective as aikido is ) Dreager commented that Abe Sensei was not a sword instructor but an aikido instructor and THEN CAME THE CHALLENGE!!!!! Seagal's honor was hurt and asked for a sword fight with bokken (wooden swords).

A stage was set up and in the audience was non other then Toshiro Mifune (star of Seven Samurai). Three rounds were fought were Seagal declared himself a winner and in actuality Draeger had "cut him" with a very subtle technique both times. The third time Draeger made contact that supposedly caused Seagal to drop his sword in pain.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 9:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Hahaha, ****. That's absolutely hilarious. Busted - like a fox!

Here's an alternative account of the same incident:
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...pic.php?t=6823
    Okay, Steven Seagal actually challenged Donn Draeger to a fight. That takes the King-of-Douchedom cake.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 11:49pm

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I always thought Seagal was crazy, but I didn't know he was stupid as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 4:54am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Damn, I always thought Seagal was crazy, but I didn't know he was stupid as well.

Crazy, stoopid and actually quite frumpy.....

Spoiler:

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 8:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    Crazy, stoopid and actually quite frumpy.....

Spoiler:
    His muumuu-esque garment terminates mid-thigh. True story.

It should be noted that Draeger died in October '82 from cancer - the year in which the film in question (actually entitled 'The Challenge') was released (in July). I don't know for certain but I'd assume that the filming probably took place in late '81/early '82.

Also, according to this:
    http://www.blackbeltmag.com/donn_f_d...r/archives/681

During the last of those journeys in 1979, misfortune struck Draeger and his team on the island of Sumatra. Visiting the Atjeh tribe, it appears that the entire group was somehow poisoned—perhaps deliberately—and as a result developed severe amebic dysentery requiring hospitalization. Although he recovered from the illness, Draeger began losing weight and grew increasingly weak. His legs swelled, causing great pain, and he found it difficult to walk or stand for very long. Serious training became difficult, then impossible.

After repeated visits to Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, it was discovered that Draeger had cancer of the liver. Returning to his home state to die, he stayed first with his half brother before moving into a veteran’s hospital. It was there, on October 20, 1982, exactly 92 years after his hero, Sir Richard F. Burton, died, that Donn F. Draeger passed away from metastasized carcinoma. He was buried at Wood National Cemetery in Milwaukee, a 50-acre final home to more than 37,000 American veterans. Draeger’s grave lies in Section 4, Site 377.
    This, to me places a rather large question mark over the accuracy of the story. Well, either that or Seagal gong sau'ed a very sick old man and was still defeated.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 12:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    His muumuu-esque garment terminates mid-thigh. True story.

It should be noted that Draeger died in October '82 from cancer - the year in which the film in question (actually entitled 'The Challenge') was released (in July). I don't know for certain but I'd assume that the filming probably took place in late '81/early '82.

Also, according to this:
    http://www.blackbeltmag.com/donn_f_d...r/archives/681

This, to me places a rather large question mark over the accuracy of the story. Well, either that or Seagal gong sau'ed a very sick old man and was still defeated.
    Yeah, Draeger had been working for the Hopology Society, doing research into Pentjak Silat and Indo/Malay martial art for years. Apparently, he regretted not studying silat sooner, he liked a bit of what he found. He must have be able to find some rather effective non-LARPing ****, considering his high quality Judo/Karate/TSKSryu background...

man, if Seagal challenged a cancer-riddled Draeger (& then still got wupped), then he deserves the coveted Double Douche award!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 12:46pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a segal apologist, I think he's a douche bag.

He got choked out and **** his pants (?) bla bla. I wonder how many people here could go up (or have the balls to) against the same guy and come out better.

Segal is a pretty big guy who has still spent considerable time on a matt and instructing. Ya you could spend 20 years on a matt devoted to whacking people with one of those little gay fans but Im willing to bet Aikido or not segal would still kick the **** out of most of the people here. (Just saying)

He also seems to be a petty good shooter, minus the theatrics.

All the aikido mimbo jumbo aside someones physical size strength leverage and time fucking around still count.
    He's still a douche.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415161723 ... LastLast