Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 10:02pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most MA actors are probably like most Martial Artists, period. Those who study live styles like...Chuck Norris (BJJ)
    Chuck initially studied Tang Soo Do during his kickboxing days I believe (followed by TKD and shito ryu). He has since cross trained in BJJ but he trained t3h r33l KMAs back in the day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 10:14pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess that I can conclude that the one thing Seagal's always going to have going for him is the fucking nutriding fans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 10:49pm

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no confirmation for or against the karate and judo dan grades??

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 11:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    His claim was Gene assaulted him. That caused the blacklisting.

When Gene choked him the first time, Steven said he wasn't ready. When he told Gene to go ahead the second time, he attacked Gene's groin. The rest you know.
    so he sprawled & choked him out of course, just like he does to everyone. makes perfect sense.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 11:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    As to his pistol skills...

I saw his new television show recently. In one scene he did put two rounds touching on a paper target head shot. Which while a nice display of fundamentals is far from proof of expertise. How he performs under pressure with multiple targets, reloads, movement, moving targets etc. is unknown.
    Was this from a bench rest? what range? double tap or individual aimed shots? I won't be giving him any credit w/o irrefutable proof.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 11:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    Chuck initially studied Tang Soo Do during his kickboxing days I believe (followed by TKD and shito ryu). He has since cross trained in BJJ but he trained t3h r33l KMAs back in the day.
    Yeah, I was curious about the post myself. Chuck was a serious kickboxer centuries before anyone had even heard of BJJ. I'm sure that Chuck could dust Seagal, no sweat. Of course, he's not match for Techno Viking... :qgreenjum

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 11:44pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite the overdone internet meme, Norris was/is the real deal as far as I can tell. Yes his background style was Tango Soo Do and such, but I don't think KMAs were in they state they are today when he trained...as evidenced by his use of said styles and skills in the early kickboxing circuits.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 12:52am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was in the episode I posted above. They were playing "chase the bullet hole" at 7 yards. Seagal put a hole in the head (dead center, to his credit, perfect head shot) of a human outline target. The deputy put one maybe two inches above and an inch left, still well inside the head outline (the object of the game is to put your shot through the hole that's already there.) Seagal put his next shot right next to his first one; I don't remember whether they actually touched but they were very close and I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were touching. As time went on, there were editing jumps, but you could clearly see Seagal's small group maybe 2-3 inches across and the other guy's shots beginning to cloud out around it.

No double taps or hammers as far as they showed, and no movement, draw, etc. But good, if not truly exceptional, marksmanship.

He's pretty good for a cop and surprisingly good for an actor.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 2:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black Belt Magazine interview with Seagal from 1990 where he discusses his kenjutsu training.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=V...njutsu&f=false

Note that he doesn't actually state the name of this secretive Zen priest sword teacher anywhere. It would be a major red flag if some krotty guy in Bumfuck, North Dakota was claiming this sort of thing on his website - and I don't see why Seagal should be held to a differing standard...

A fair bit of other stuff in there that some of you guys might have an opinion on too...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 2:34am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasnt Seagal a CIA Black Op's Veteran? Or was it ex Navy Seal? Or was it Gambino Family Assassin? Or simply Buddha?
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast