Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Coaching certificate in a year?

Hi I don't know if this is the right place to come but I'm getting confused by all the 'experts' and offers out there and it's hard to work out which are real and which are not. I moved to Winchester from London about 3 months ago and thought I'd look into a new martial art to try out. i liked the idea of learning what to do if the fight went to the floor, among other things. So I started to look up the clubs on offer. Settling into my new job and home has taken a while and I thought I'd take another look into the clubs I was interested in. What a difference a few months can make! The website of one I was interested has been changed. They seem to have changed their minds about their credentials. The guy running it no longer calls himself a Master but Chief Instructer, he no longer boasts a few black belts but now just has one and the other instructer mentioned no longer has a black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu but a blue belt. So it looks like they've been telling a few porkies and either been caught out or got cold feet and decided to be 'honest'. Maybe they are still worth a look, the price seemed reasonable and the times convenient. What do we think about the offer of a coaching certificate within a year irrespective of whether you have previous experience of martial arts? Isn't this the same as offering a black belt in a year? Is this possible? Is this evidence of a mcdojo? Who or what is OCFM? the instructer is a black belt in this too. Should I start training with them or stay well away? Does anyone know the area? What club would you recommend?
    Last edited by Rohan; 12/03/2009 4:37pm at .

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couldn't say.

But I do know a very talented young man who made instructor in one year. He trained with the GM, and the masters for at LEAST two hours every single day of that year. He earned it through a combination of massive dedication, very hard work, and his considerable wealth of natural talent didn't hurt either.

This was not "offered" BTW. People are tested by the GM when they are ready. Nobody is promissed a promotion based on time served. Ever.

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 5:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the reply. The training for coaching certificate is for a few hours once a week and seems to be guarenteeing anyone who applies will pass. I know there are some real talented people out there - came across a few at my London dojo - they were however in the minority. Also, I've noticed that while some people are great at practicing the art they were rubbish at teaching it to new people - so can anyone really become an instructor? Is this something legit clubs try to sell to people? I can appreciate a Master seeing potential and coaching someone intensively so they rise rapidly through the ranks - but selling it and guarenteeing a rank? It just does not sound right.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 5:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
    Hi I don't know if this is the right place to come but I'm getting confused by all the 'experts' and offers out there and it's hard to work out which are real and which are not. I moved to Winchester from London about 3 months ago and thought I'd look into a new martial art to try out. i liked the idea of learning what to do if the fight went to the floor, among other things. So I started to look up the clubs on offer. Settling into my new job and home has taken a while and I thought I'd take another look into the clubs I was interested in. What a difference a few months can make! The website of one I was interested has been changed. They seem to have changed their minds about their credentials. The guy running it no longer calls himself a Master but Chief Instructer, he no longer boasts a few black belts but now just has one and the other instructer mentioned no longer has a black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu but a blue belt. So it looks like they've been telling a few porkies and either been caught out or got cold feet and decided to be 'honest'. Maybe they are still worth a look, the price seemed reasonable and the times convenient. What do we think about the offer of a coaching certificate within a year irrespective of whether you have previous experience of martial arts? Isn't this the same as offering a black belt in a year? Is this possible? Is this evidence of a mcdojo? Who or what is OCFM? the instructer is a black belt in this too. Should I start training with them or stay well away? Does anyone know the area? What club would you recommend?
    There's not much we can do for you without a link to the website, or the instructor's name.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 6:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes, I s'pose not. Wasn't really sure if I should. This is the website. www.kensamartialarts.co.uk/ The guy trains at an army barraks -would this not mean its legit in some way? Just not convinced by the changing details and the coach in one year thing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well they definitely look like they do live sparring. But that doesn't mean they are worth a damn!. One of they guys looks so fat that there is no way you would want to try to learn ground fighting from him. It would not be realistic for you. Too hard to get him in your guard. Too hard to do proper locks on him. I would be better than nothing, but not the best out there.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 5:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not hugely convinced by that website. The assistant instructor is a Royce Blue Belt apparently, which in itself is not particularly impressive as it's a low rank and Royce is well known for handing them out like candy, but can't seem to spell the man's name ('Hoyce', lol). Added to what you say about their prior claims...

I'd check them out but be sceptical. If I wanted to train ground fighting in that area I'd go here: http://www.kamonbjj.com/

P.S. Looking at their syllabus (http://www.kensamartialarts.co.uk/html/syllabus.html) I see a lot of 'random attacks' (i.e. pick-a-move two man kata) and semi-contact sparring. These are not great signs when they also don't appear to compete at all.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 12/04/2009 5:26am at .

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 4:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Thanks again for the replies. Yes I had noticed the 'big' guys on the photos - which to be honest was another concern for a couple of reasons. One - I'm a female, slight and small - I'd probably get too much of an idea as to what it'd be like to be a pancake!! Two, I always though martial arts were a great way to stay fit and in shape. Or is it the norm for people to be on the larger side in jiujitsu? Lol! I'm sure it's not so please do not be offended. Does it matter if you don't compete? I have competed and done well in Karate but at 35 and having picked up a few niggling injuries along the way I'm thinking its a young persons game. I love a good friendly scrap but am feeling thats as far as I want to take it. Lol - but then I said something like that when I began Karate! Do many females compete in these types of competitions? I definately want to do some ground fighting - one of the guys in London had just started before I left and was showing us some things, I loved it. Hmm, so the name of the Gracie who the assistant is supposed to have been taught by is spelt wrong? Hadn't spotted that - was just impressed by the Gracie name - I've only heard positive stuff about them. I thought it was hard to get belts from them - I've no idea what the levels the belts are though. I guess I don't have much to lose from going along and having a look. I'll check the net again - there should be other local clubs about surely. Living in London I never did see the point in learning to drive. I'm taking lessons now but in the meantime need something local - Southampton is a bit too far for the wonderful public transport! At least in this weather it is! Though Kambo bjj definately looks good and affordable - incentive to pass my test! Thanks for the link.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You answer is....Judo cheap and widely available. Covers how to fall properly, how to throw someone (and being short is actually a good thing), and groundfighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2009 9:08pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Rohan,

Are these guys http://www.winchester-martialarts.org/ near you?

They look better then the Kensa group - of course you may want to visit both (and any others near enough to you) to compare & contrast.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast