Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 5:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the point in having an octagon in these gyms?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 6:05pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TN380 View Post
    What's the point in having an octagon in these gyms?
    Its just about the look, but another point thats overlooked is that you can also have people that actually know something and train there. Take my case as an example I'm 42 , I've been training in Muay Thai for over 25 years, and have been doing Greco Roman Wrestling for about 12 years. I stopped going to MMA gyms about 4 years ago. Why you ask? Because simply it was to damn expensive. MMA gyms in my area range from $80 to $150 per month. In addittion I have a membership at Golds Gym which costs me $30 per month. I found by just going to Golds I ran into lots of USF wrestlers in addittion to other martial artists that I could train with. A group of us always get together in their aerobics room for a good throwdown, and training. So by just doing training at Golds I save a good amount of money. Oh, and yes we keep our hands up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 7:25pm

Style: TKD, Arnis, Catch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Et tu, UFC, Et tu?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 3:54am

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It had to happen sooner or later. I am going off on a bit of a tangent below, and it's more for me to vent as opposed to actually hoping to add something constuctive to the news regarding this particular gym. It's just with the UFC brand name slowly penetrating (haha) the Australian market, this could very well happen in my country, or others around the world so:

Spoiler:

If there's one thing I hope, it's that this sort of thing never comes to Australia. Speaking from life experience, and growing up here, this will be detrimental for a lot of young men here(In the, say, 16 to 25 age bracket. I'm 19). Having spent a year prior to my undertaking Judo, Boxing and the like, I've identified a few different types of young people attending the gym.

Average joes, actual athletes hitting up the gym for some training, power lifters and competitive body builders. All in all, generally agreeable people. However, there is one group that I bear a lot of resentment towards, a sort of guido/metro fusion. To me, it's not how they dress (even I dabble sometimes), or how they look or what they listen to or how they spend their time. There is just one instrinsic factor present in MANY youngsters fitting this label:

These men are the type who will, without any martial training, or even watching ANYTHING (UFC, professional boxing, whatever), genuinely believe that for the all of 8 hours a week they spend doing barbell curls in a squat rack, that they can hold their **** on the street/in a ring. When you combine that with our native 'bogan' (what you call rednecks, many of whom are into the whole gang violence dealie), there is going to be a lot of belligerency on tap for young Australian men if we ever have access to a UFC gym.

I (outside of exam periods) spend roughly 12 hours a week (I'm going to start adding some roadwork now that I am on my Summer vacation) just at boxing or at Judo or at BJJ, never in a gym, and never getting into trouble, I just shudder at the thought of this sort of thing being introduced here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 10:34am

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_nye68 View Post
    well one thing to consider some people are fans of watching ufc and might enjoy that level of training without being a pro fighter...
    why not pay to do something useful instead of, essentially, LARPing?

this = poor instruction
    = waste of time and money
    = kids running around thinking they train UFC

Quote Originally Posted by Obesely View Post
    there is going to be a lot of belligerency on tap for young Australian men if we ever have access to a UFC gym.
    dont worry, with kicks like that (in the first pic) and them not keeping their hands up (in the video), the rest of their training is probably pretty shoddy. i doubt they'll spar or do much more than pad work. its probably closer to cardio-kickboxing than anything.
    so, i dont think you have much to worry about :D

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 10:00pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    As the future owner of an MMA mcdojo I find this to be totally awesome!
    jk, my gym will actually produce fighters.
    I wonder if they're planning on holding fight shows in the gym, I went to a show at a big commercial gym once and it wasn't a bad setup. And with a freakin Octagon right in the center... it only makes sense. After all, they could make a killing.
    From my understanding that WILL Not be happening, I went and checked out the membership before it opened, they are strongly against that and I'm pretty sure the city is (Concord) as well.

I did join however, and will check it out once my finals end next week, and report back here.

Reasons for joining"
    1. Cost about 105 for me and the wifey which includes babysitting,
    2. A full complement of equipment for training, Big Tires/ weights/ etc. for the both of us.
    3. Hours its open 24/7 which is what I need since i dont have space for a home gym or bag where I live, and my work/schoolo/family schedule

Questions I had when I signed up:
    Who the hell is doing the training for the different programs?
    When I asked they would not give names, and mentioned that a guy who does Cung Le's standup, They said they were in negotiations and couldn't mention others.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 2:41pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well we certainly do need more family friendly environments... although it would be cooler if it were like the family environment Sparta had in 300.

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 5:03pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, if it gets people out of their house and exercising, how bad can it be? Believe it or not, there are people screaming about this whose punches couldn't crack an egg. I mean, honestly, most people are just doing this for a change of pace, too relieve the tedium of 24 hour/Crunch/Bally's. I doubt most people there think they are really learning the de4dly MMA all the scary talented practitioners train in on this site.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 7:28pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Redemption!

Quote Originally Posted by senseipookie View Post
    All I can say is Welcome to Our World. Give it another five years and there will be something out that is the new "real thing" in training, and they'll have a site where a bunch of people go on about how useless MMA is because they don't train for real. And you guys who do it for real will say that you really DO train hard, and someone will post a video like this and tell you "no you don't - this is what MMA is" and call you a LARPer. So you'll explain how you train and someone will say "yeah but heavy bags don't hit back and kettlebells have nothing to do with fighting so they're useless".

OK, I got a little carried away, but it just felt so good to be able to say it.
    Hahahahaha...that's just what I was thinking. "MMA is total larp...if you're not hitting each other with baseball bats with no pads like we do at my Batjitsu dojo, then you're just not training "live" enough for the real world."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 8:44pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj View Post
    Look, if it gets people out of their house and exercising, how bad can it be? Believe it or not, there are people screaming about this whose punches couldn't crack an egg. I mean, honestly, most people are just doing this for a change of pace, too relieve the tedium of 24 hour/Crunch/Bally's. I doubt most people there think they are really learning the de4dly MMA all the scary talented practitioners train in on this site.
    Yup - that's just what they said about Fred Villari in the 70s and 80s. Look how well that worked out for TMA.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast