Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I walked by the Ralph Gracie school here in Berkeley once and watched a class for a few minutes. Not ONE of those college kids on the mat were ever going to be world champs! Some of them were even giggling as they rolled! Giggling!

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 11:27am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The quality of fighters coming out of the UFC gyms is what will matter in the long run. They're basically putting a safety net in place for fighter failure. If they actually train competition fighters who go out and get their asses kicked in the local shows they can always fall back on the "We're not looking to train or create fighters, We're looking to create a fun family environment.” comment.

If they do actually produce some quality fighters then they can always say, "Of course they're good they come from the UFC gym!" They are basically just covering their asses. Initially it will probably hurt some of the local gyms but as soon as they start losing fights on a consistent basis their real fighter clientle will drop off and go back to the local gyms.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 11:51am

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the masses will flock there because "Its teh ultimate fightin"

MMA/Vale tudo/NHB is not and should never be "family friendly"!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These gyms sure don't look as real as it gets (TM).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    I see no reason why these UFC gyms can't try to foster fighters as well as keep it a family fun enviornment. The LA Boxing club near my house, for example, has children's classes and cardio kickboxing, but it also has legit coaches and a fight team.
    I've visited the LA Boxing in my neck of the woods and was impressed with their ability to train fighters and fitness enthusiasts alike.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 4:28pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure I get how they are training fighters at any level with no striking at all, and what seems like pretty limited grappling. It's a gimmicky 24 hour fitness. Rate it as such.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 12:04am

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nice kicking technique in the first photo ;]

"In high school we UFC if anyone had a problem. We'd meet after school at the flag pole and two kids would UFC until there was a winner. Sometimes the UFC got brutal and all the kids would stand around and chant "UFC...UFC... UFC". Since then I've matured, I only get into the occasional UFC."

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what really fucks me off, and this is a bugbear i have with some of the PTs i work with as well- teaching good technique isnt hard. if you cant teach someone to have good technique, it isnt the person you are training, its YOU who is doing it wrong. of course not everyone is cut out for fighting but the 40 year old lady i train is still gonna get tagged if she drops her fucking hands. perhaps not as hard as i would tag a 25 year old rugby player, but the intent is the same.

and they appreciate it too. and it keeps me in business because the guys i train look fucking dangerous as opposed to looking like clowns who apparently value guarding their navel over their face.

this kind of gym- makes sense from a business standpoint, the problem comes with the fact that the "instructors" are gonna be people with **** all experience who couldnt spot errors in tech if their life depended on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 1:22pm

Style: SEKKJBA, MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well one thing to consider some people are fans of watching ufc and might enjoy that level of training without being a pro fighter...its the same as watching people that are into football and could never hope to com pete, play flag or two handed touch football.. its only silly if one of those guys says hes the best player ever since he dominates in that low level arena, other people would look at him silly and hopefully make him check himself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 2:34pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As the future owner of an MMA mcdojo I find this to be totally awesome!
    jk, my gym will actually produce fighters.
    I wonder if they're planning on holding fight shows in the gym, I went to a show at a big commercial gym once and it wasn't a bad setup. And with a freakin Octagon right in the center... it only makes sense. After all, they could make a killing.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast