Posted On:
    12/02/2009 4:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorScrooge View Post
    Its time for war
    This was inevetible; I'm just surprised that it took this long for UFC to cash in. The trainer monkeys in the video reminded me of the polo-shirted ass clowns at every 24 Hour Fitness, Ballys etc I've ever seen. All we can do is continue to support the locally-owned, well-run martial arts schools and gyms.

Posted On:
    12/02/2009 5:04pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey bro don't mess with me...I train UFC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2009 5:26pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets be honest UFC arent the first lot to cash in on mma by launching a watered down version of the original product they are however the least expected to do this howmany MABS threads are there weir you get bullshido gyms with an MMA label?
    At least the UFC is being honest about its intentions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2009 8:07pm

Style: SEKKJBA, MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i cant complaign there being up front, i would be interested in it from a fitness standpoint. and as a stepping stone to more seriuos training . but they should still do the techniques right. but i also see the negatives in terms of people saying they train at a ufc gym...but never fighting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2009 9:03pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't see a problem with this from a fitness stand point. Will there be those idiots that say they are UFC fighters because they train at a UFC? Sure there will be, just like those idiots that say they are kickboxers because they take a Tae Bo class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2009 9:42pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is Welcome to Our World. Give it another five years and there will be something out that is the new "real thing" in training, and they'll have a site where a bunch of people go on about how useless MMA is because they don't train for real. And you guys who do it for real will say that you really DO train hard, and someone will post a video like this and tell you "no you don't - this is what MMA is" and call you a LARPer. So you'll explain how you train and someone will say "yeah but heavy bags don't hit back and kettlebells have nothing to do with fighting so they're useless".

OK, I got a little carried away, but it just felt so good to be able to say it.
    Last edited by senseipookie; 12/02/2009 9:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2009 11:16pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I think it's a possibility that people might come into the school mostly for fitness reasons, but I think very few of them won't think on at least some level feel that they are much better fighters when they started, even if they aren't the goofass braggarts "Don't **** with me! I workout at UFC!" types.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 6:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a shame that they aren't teaching it all proper like, but I for one don't support the idea of a fight promotion also training and fostering fighters. I'm all for, say, open seminars where everyone gets together and trains with the best the sport has to offer under the banner of the UFC, but I just can't get behind the UFC as an organisation that nurtures talent. Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 6:57am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see the problem really, they're straight up about not creating competitive fighters. If the training is good for fitness and a bit of basic self protection then why not? One thing I do see coming down the line for UFC though is some kind of a loss of credibility unless they market the difference between their McUFC dojos and genuine cage fighters. As has been said here, there will loads of goofballs going around saying they train at UFC and spin offs where guys set their own dojos off the back of them having "trained at the UFC". It could be a good way for them to spot up and coming talent though, perhaps they will have another class of schools for more genuine fight training (eg UFC Pro)...

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 10:40am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UFC is a commercial business, it exploits fighters, etc. It is not some saintly undertaking, lighting the way to the ultimate truth in martial arts. It's the fight business, and the fight business is populated by seedy types. Plenty of young guys are going to get brain damage to feed some guys record, and have little to show for it. You're shocked that White would do something to make more money? Grow up!

And as far as the Gracies go, they are all about the money, take it from an ex student. There will be hard core gyms, you'll just have to seek them out.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast