Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 11:11am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post. Having looked at this from outside of the American Sambo community, the only thing that gets me is the continued claim of Honourable and distiguished being one and the same.

1. Scotts certificate says honourable. It does not say Distiguished. Even if the Russian word is the same THE CERTIFICATE IS NOT IN RUSSIAN.

2. Even though the Russian word is the same, it is not used in the frame of honourable in this context, but distinguished.

3. Finally the certificate is from the ASF. It may have been a member of the FIAS at the time, but the certificate is still from the ASF. Not the FIAS.

Its all spin basically....
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    Good post. Having looked at this from outside of the American Sambo community, the only thing that gets me is the continued claim of Honourable and distiguished being one and the same.

1. Scotts certificate says honourable. It does not say Distiguished. Even if the Russian word is the same THE CERTIFICATE IS NOT IN RUSSIAN.

2. Even though the Russian word is the same, it is not used in the frame of honourable in this context, but distinguished.

3. Finally the certificate is from the ASF. It may have been a member of the FIAS at the time, but the certificate is still from the ASF. Not the FIAS.

Its all spin basically....
    I agree completely. He was not granted заслуженный мастер спорта, he was (presumably) granted "Honorable Master of Sport". In English. Not "Meritted", not "Distinguished", not "Honored", "Emeritus", "well-deserved" or "Meritorious". He has no right to call it anything else. He says on his blog that he wanted to avoid confusion with "Honorary". That is not his call to make. Maybe the promoting authority wanted the connotation to be "Honorary". If he were granted "заслуженный мастер спорта" then he'd have a point, but he wasn't.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:03pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In light of everything, we should probably fill this out:

http://www.bullshido.org/Scott_Sonnon

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:06pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scott may not believe me, but it is good to see that the LOTAR cert is legit. In the end, it is always better to discover truths, not lies. In this case, the LOTAR cert is the real deal.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the things I've noticed that we keep running into, is the misguided assumption that because someone wants to clarify, verify, or even just discuss the credentials of a Martial Artist, that it somehow is an automatic implication of guilt.

The website exists, partly, as a resource for individuals to collectively verify credentials of noted persons in the Martial Arts community in order to improve upon that community.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:30pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Scott may not believe me, but it is good to see that the LOTAR cert is legit. In the end, it is always better to discover truths, not lies. In this case, the LOTAR cert is the real deal.
    Hey guys, I'm sorry I've been absent from the thread, started a new job the other day.
    I see that the Lotar cert. checked out, I had a feeling it might when I saw the revised one.

I would like to clearly state one thing, just because mr. Sonnon gave a much appreciated course to the Lotar guys, DOES NOT make him a CT expert, those levels of training are varied to different levels and units, as well as necessary proficiency, and while they may have shown him some stuff when he was there, I doubt they gave him the full training regimen.

But seriously mr. Sonnon, why would you write this on your blog:
    Only amateurs would think that anyone would be stupid enough to fake documents from the Israeli special forces. A professional knows that you would just… let’s say, not be in a position to ever make that mistake again, if you did. So, I dismantled my picture frames in my office and scanned in the originals and posted them.
    that's just ridiculous in my mind. If you knew the amount of people I met who claimed to have taught special forces here. well let's just say they're still claiming it. the funny part is SF here get a tiny amount of proper MA training and mostly aggression training, but you know, it's good for sales.

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a military professional I'm pretty sure the Israeli Special Forces have better things to do than beat up people who fake certificates.

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 12:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, don't mistake my own personal vitriol over Sonnon's public methods as some sort of representation of the function of how Bullshido verifies information. Other forums will just delete these kind of conversations which just leads to an increased perception of guilt.

I still don't believe this document qualifies Sonnon as a counter-terrorism expert. I'd expect the standard to be set higher than this.

edit: Gidi, you beat me to it and you're better qualified to say so as well...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 1:06pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same here. And the habit of deleting threads puts question onto everything he does.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only amateurs would think that anyone would be stupid enough to fake documents from the Israeli special forces. A professional knows that you would just… let’s say, not be in a position to ever make that mistake again, if you did. So, I dismantled my picture frames in my office and scanned in the originals and posted them.
    I know Scott is just trying to be cute, but this is actually pretty offensive and demeaning to the professionalism of the IDF.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast