Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 3:49am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzushi1 View Post
    I have always wondered about his cheering section. There could not possibly be that many naive people all kissing up to him at once. Has anyone ever checked to see if they are fictitious?
    No, as it is not necessary. I will name a few people that have large followings:
    1) Ralph Severe
    2) Frank Dux
    3) Hatsumi

I am not calling any of them frauds, I am just pointing out anyone can have a large following regradless of the quality of their instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 4:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is fake:

I see what you mean, but until I looked them up I did not know any of the people you listed. Sonnon is fairly well known. When you look up his products he seems to have bought up all Google references so that one is directed to sites that support or sell his stuff. It is actually a little scary.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 6:47am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    http://www.tafisa.net/index.php?opti...lash&Itemid=82

This is why the video bothered me. It looked like point fighting MMA but, I wasn't sure. Now I am.
    So, it is not MMA at all. In fact, they don't even call the category MMA. They call it Grapple Strike.

Sonnon is a skilled athlete aside from his other flaws. He was probably well over-qualified for this event, knew he would get some easy wins, and also knew he would have a great marketing opportunity. He has been bragging and blogging about this event for most of the year.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 9:04am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    So, it is not MMA at all. In fact, they don't even call the category MMA. They call it Grapple Strike.
    I was basing it off of this letter that calls it Amateur MMA.

So, I dug a little deeper and if you go to the rules, once again, it is an interesting play on words.

In this .pdf link go to page 56/57 in the Adobe page counter box not the actual article page numbers.

Also, you can look for Article #34 Grapple/Strike Competition (GSTC) for a possible definition:

http://www.worldmartialartsgames.com...ersion_3.1.pdf

for a MIXTURE OF MARTIAL ART Styles

Yes, I am not questioning his skill just looking at a weird video provided as proof.

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do like how, in Sonnon's world, one Gold medal and one Silver medal=4 Gold medals.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    10/13/2010 2:11pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another claim of teaching another special operations unit. Can anyone verify this?

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=723

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 12:44pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://tracelesswarrior.blogspot.com...your-talk.html

This says he won two silvers, not one.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 1:39pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This link says you'll get banned for what you continue to do in MABS:

MABS: Purpose and Policy - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Take it up with the letter writer.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 2:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by therma View Post
    Another claim of teaching another special operations unit. Can anyone verify this?
    Okay, are you going to add to the thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    *edit: in case this wasn't clear, this page is NOT A CERTIFICATE, it is a thank you letter you print as a token of appreciation, if its real, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields
    It is not illegal, nor is it inaccurate, (I know a couple of dudes taking the TACfit class, which they like,) but it is in poor taste to use the Firemans' Maltese cross, if you aren't in the job. I don't care how the anti-terrorist community does it, unless you are part of a fire department, you are not a firefighter, period.

The Tacfit may be a great fitness program, but Scott is a civilian. He can teach a million and two firefighters TACfit, but he is still a civilian. The use of the symbol of my trade, (in addition to my father's and brother's,) is in poor taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotherserge
    As Aaron pointed out, appropriating the Maltese Cross as your own symbol is just bad form and ungentleman-like. Same goes for using the Israeli Bat-IMO.

Even though I train cops, I'm not about to use their symbols, symbols they've earned by serving us, for the sake of my own aggrandizement. I think it is in very poor taste. If you're not in the game, don't ever say that you are, it is a simple as that. **** me, I can't even get myself to wear a "FBI" ballcap or BDU's I feel so strongly about this. An old timer gave me a Coast Guard cap from his ship, I can't wear it. Are these values askew? Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cy
    It is an admission of guilt. There is no scanning error that would make those signatures disappear and then appear, and no scanning artifact that would account for those signatures against a noiseless background.

He should admit his situation. There would be more dignity in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    For the record, I have not purued this on the ASA forum (though I did link to this thread). I also have not claimed any document a forgery. In fact, I stated I was not prepared to say that at this time. I have said that the images looked manipulated, which by Sonnon's own admission, they are. The reasons for this is what the folks here are looking at. Lastly, Bullshido is not my "company". I am not even admin here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamboSteve
    In the end, Scott's and Dayn's were given under an American based system facilitated by Polyakov (for the ASF) under his assessment of these men and really has no relation to what FIAS would have done (or any other Russian sport authority able to grant such grades). I am not sure if "What FIAS would have done?" even matters since we are apparently comparing apples and oranges according to Lenny. The only reason it would matter, I suppose, is because Scott asserted a connection between FIAS, the USSR, and his HMoS.

I agree that any suggestions of accreditation by the USSR or FIAS by Scott would be misleading in that 1) His HMoS was given in the US by the ASF 2) Not a FIAS grade as he suggests (as confirmed by Polyakov) and 3) He was awarded the diploma by Polyakov 8 years after the USSR folded.

As an American sambist who still participates in a sport in a region (the USA) that is considered somewhat of a sideshow by the Russians (in Russia), I can attest to the frustration we here in the US feel about generally not having access to that system for our athletes. I also consider myself very lucky to have had access to it. There are many here in the US more deserving of a MoS than I (Gregg Humphreys for example). Having said that, I understand Lenny's desire to be able to offer something here for US athletes.
    Just to make sure people understand the issues. This thread is about a person who misuses thank you letters, has posted questionable credentials, and puffs up their resume. No one has knocked his skill level or what he teaches.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/16/2010 5:19am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF, in terms of his resume', I would add the questionable yoga lineage and training which he states is the foundation stone for his prasara yoga. This had not been discussed in this thread, but, it has been covered in other threads here on Bullshido and WWG. I think it is important to include here if his resume' and possible prblems with it are being discussed:

Back to sonnon's yoga connection with "Amma"...

I contacted her organization to see if he was formally affiliated with them. Considering he claims to have trained with her for over a decade and that while training with her he saw how her older body could surpass what his young one could do, I found this reply to be very interesting:

Quote:
    Aum Amriteshwaryai Namah

Dear Friend,

Amma has many children (students or devotees) around the world. Often they chose to recognize Amma for the inspiration and teachings she gives, so mention of Amma's name can be found on many websites, in books, films, works of art, etc. This is a personal matter of people giving reference to Amma; it is not to be confused with the formal representation of Amma and her humanitarian work and spiritual teachings.

The person described in the website http://prasarayoga.com/ is not formally affiliated with the M.A. Math, nor does his website represent one of Amma's or the Math's activities. However, he may well be a devotee of Amma and may wish to publicly recognize the influence she has had in his life on his personal website.

If you would like information about Amma, please visit our official websites (see below). Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

In the Service of Love,
    Prana
    Information Centre, Amritapuri

M. A. Math, Amritapuri P.O., Kollam Dt., Kerala 690525 India
    Tel. 0091 476 2897578 / 2896399 / 2896278
    Fax 0091 476 2897678
    E-mail: inform@amritapuri.org
    main website: www.amritapuri.org
    European website: www.amma-europe.org
    U.S. website: www.amma.org

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=scott+sonnon