Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 6:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Negotiations and Fight Sports

Hi. I'm writing a paper for my negotiations class. Its due tomorrow. I'll be working on it all night. Its not that long, but I'm going by meager online resources and boxing stuff. I'd like to know if you guys had any input whatsoever on it.

I am focusing on the interests involved in fight negotiations, the parties involved (media reps, owners, promoters, fighters), the process itself, and anything that you think is overlooked by most people.

I'm also doing a presentation on it so cool pictures will be appreciated.

Its short notice but I was wondering what kind of help I can get?
    Oh, also, if you own a gym or if you are a professional or very serious amatuer fighter I will put your name on the last slide of my presentation and give you credit.. though only 20 people are seeing it.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 7:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Hi. I'm writing a paper for my negotiations class. Its due tomorrow. I'll be working on it all night. Its not that long, but I'm going by meager online resources and boxing stuff. I'd like to know if you guys had any input whatsoever on it.

I am focusing on the interests involved in fight negotiations, the parties involved (media reps, owners, promoters, fighters), the process itself, and anything that you think is overlooked by most people.

I'm also doing a presentation on it so cool pictures will be appreciated.

Its short notice but I was wondering what kind of help I can get?
    Oh, also, if you own a gym or if you are a professional or very serious amatuer fighter I will put your name on the last slide of my presentation and give you credit.. though only 20 people are seeing it.
    While I am not an expert on this subject. An interesting case study would be the latest Fedor Emelianenko with the UFC. What makes this one interesting is Fedor non-trivial share in the M-1 promotion. A condition that was unique and ultimately rejected was any card containing Fedor needed to be co-promoted as an M-1 event with 50% of the profits going to M-1. UFC having brand dominance in the US found this to be unacceptable and hurtful to their promotion. Fedor later appeared on a Strikefoce card (for that event labeled Strikeforce/M-1) as Strikeforce being unknown outside on the hardcord MMA fandom had more to gain having Fedor on their card then they had to lose co-promoting the event with M-1.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/07/30/f...-ufc-contract/

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 8:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks plasma, that source will be useful.

Anyone with first hand experience? Even the most basic explanation is very useful; like how the whole process begins, what considerations they have in terms of setting compensation and terms, etc. And if you would let me cite you as an interview... ! (incidently, would you guys PM me with your full names so I can cite it?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 9:44pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically from the UFC's perspective, a fighter is worth the maximum another organization would be willing to pay that fighter.

With wins in the UFC, that fighter's value grows, and he can negotiate higher pay. The ufc will pay this individual more than they are actually being offered by another organization, since the ufc stands to lose credibility as the #1 organization by losing a top ranked fighter. (in the case of dan henderson, the ufc clearly offered him more than any other organization would be willing to pay him, and yet he still declined. he's just holding out for a better offer from them)

the big difference between boxing vs mma is that in boxing it's the fighters that sell the card, and it's the 2 headliners who make all the money, the undercard guys make far far less.

In MMA, it's the brand (ufc) that people pay to see, and so dana and co. are making most of the money, however there's a lot more equity in pay. Look at the number of guys who are making more than 50k on an average ufc ppv card and compare it to boxing, it's not even close.