Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 3:41pm

Style: krav maga, bjj, mma,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

dacayana eskrima?

Theres a class near me that has just started up, it teaches dacayana eskrima .Has anyone had any experence with this style of eskrima? If so what were your thoughts on it?
    Last edited by Carlos13th; 11/29/2009 3:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 6:19pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't heard of that particular system but that doesn't really mean all that much. More than most countries martial arts, FMA seems to have a literal ton of family or underground styles that very few know about. Within that group, there are quite a few that stay away from the limelight and do little if any sharing of their art with outsiders.

Of course, there are also those who promote what they are doing as some secret underground system when in fact they just took things from others and then all of a sudden, they have their own secret style which they then claim they have been practicing underground for years.

That sort of thing makes it really hard to separate the good from the bullshido. There some absolutely legit FMA systems that very few know about and there are some that have popped up in recent years where the person promoting the style is full of crap.

If you don't get any good information here you may also try your question over at FMAtalk. There a bunch of very knowledgeable FMA stylists over there who can probably help you far more than myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much. I tryed a class out today but will reserve my opinion untill i try another class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you. Unfortunately there is starting to be more and more BS coming into the scene with the rise in the popularity of FMA in general.

A quick glance at the websites discussing the history of dacayana eskrima indicates that is a modern adaptation of what is claimed to be a family art passed on and combined with other things. That does not make it bad or good. Like I said, there a ton of family arts that no one knows about, but I would strongly encourage you to post this on FMAtalk and get some additional feedback. There is a good deal of legit FMA in the UK. I would hate to see you end up with something that wasn't when there is no need to.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 11/29/2009 9:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 6:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much. I will write a review when i have tryed the class further and will checkout FMA talk.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 8:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. There are also some very knowledgeable FMA people on this forum so I don't want to make it sound like you won't get any good advice here. Its just that the greatest concentration of FMA people that I am aware of online is at FMAtalk. Hopefully between there and here you will be able to figure out what you are getting into.

Regards,

Posted On:
    12/01/2009 5:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Guys

I can assure you that the Dacayana system as taught in the UK is as 'Legit' (as you put it) as any other system over here. The only difference is it is fairly new to the UK.

there is plenty of info on our websites www.dacayanaeskrima.com or if you take a look at Master Jun Dacayana on youtube you can see the system first hand eg :

YouTube- EMPTY HAND techniques

this clip has had 40,000 views - there are lots of others for you to look at too!

There is no BS in the system and it is pure FMA - will be happy to answer any questions you may have - feel free to contact me directly

Take care
    Marcie Harding
    Dacayana UK

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 8:24pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Hi Guys

I can assure you that the Dacayana system as taught in the UK is as 'Legit' (as you put it) as any other system over here. The only difference is it is fairly new to the UK.

there is plenty of info on our websites www.dacayanaeskrima.com or if you take a look at Master Jun Dacayana on youtube you can see the system first hand eg :

this clip has had 40,000 views - there are lots of others for you to look at too!

There is no BS in the system and it is pure FMA - will be happy to answer any questions you may have - feel free to contact me directly

Take care
    Marcie Harding
    Dacayana UK
    Although many us us here in the FMA forum realize that video was most likely a practice drill intended to develop a specialized skill, to the unfaimilar FMA outsider it looks like a lot of prearranged halfhearted slapping and thus is likely to be labeled bullshido by others.

What is the purpose of the demonstrated drill? What other video do you have? Anything demonstrating the stick striking/defense aspects of the art? I'd look it up myself but i'm kind of studying for exams and just taking a little break to relax.

AS a Dacayana system practitioner how would you describe the art? I'm always interested to learn about unfamiliar forms of FMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bckeai.co.uk/

If you are still looking for a place to train, I would check out this particular website. It has a listing of the majority of FMA programs in the UK. If you have questions about a place, I would recommend contacting Pat O'Malley who seems like a good guy and is well tuned in on FMA in the UK and Europe in general.

I do not know anything about the style you originally asked about and though someone has come on to support its legitimacy, I urge caution. This is not a pejorative on the style or the person who chimed in but rather a statement which reflects the current state of FMA. FMA in general is experiencing a major growth in popularity due to many reasons. Because of that, there are many many people coming out of the woodwork with supposed underground or family styles that no one has seen before the last few years. This is hard to figure out because there a ton of those which are in fact the real deal. Unfortunately, there are also many who are full of crap and are seeking to cash in on the rise in popularity. I have no way of knowing what is going on in the style you are asking about and am certainly not accusing them of being frauds, I am simply urging you to do your homework before you jump into something.

Good luck and best regards.

Jason

Good luck...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 11:43am

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Hi Guys

Take care
    Marcie Harding
    Dacayana UK
    Don't you have any other clip showing a more Dacayana flavor? This is a very basic tapi-tapi drill that most FMAers play with.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast