Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 11:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Acceptable Armbar Variation or Tomfoolery?

Having had a long standing issue with larger people stacking their way out of my armbars I discovered a variation while fucking around with Gogoplatas and other stupid **** one day.
    I'll do my best to describe it here, and then I'd like to know if I've just been lucky to not have some glaring fault exploited or if it's a valid variation.

OK, so from guard I get a solid grip on one arm, swivel out as normal for an armbar to get their arm straightened out, then when they start to curl the arm in to defend I turn my shin up like I'm doing a gogoplata and stretch my leg out, bracing their elbow against the inside of my thigh and using my shin to put pressure on their throat to keep them from driving into me. Then I finish the armbar by pressing my thigh against their elbow.
    When doing it from mount it's the same thing, I turn slightly on my side and drive my shin up into their throat and finish by pressing the elbow across my inner thigh. With this one if they still resist I can take my other leg and actually put my foot on my heel and press my shin into their neck for almost a locoplata finish.

Is this all just useless fuckwittery that is only going to work for me against blue belts and under or is it a valid variation on the standard armbar?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 11:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While a picture or video of the move would remove all doubt, it seems like you're describing a perfectly normal variation. One that I use myself on occasion.

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 7:13pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a normal variation that I use fairly often. I get it a lot when my swivel isn't quite sufficient to get the classic version cleanly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 2:20am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minus the figure four part, that sounds similar to what Jeremy Horn did to Chael Sonnen. I'd say valid variation too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 12:20pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jacare vs galesic i think is the same way.

i've finished it this way once, and one guy at my gym has a nasty bicep slicer that he sometimes turns into an armbar doing it this way.