Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 10:24pm

Style: Baji, Boxing, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa View Post
    I was playing with the website address for the U of Asian Martial Arts and it seemed to automatically link to this place called "Universal Warrior Arts"
    http://www.uwmafa.com/
    I have my suspicions about that, but since I live on the other side of the world, I'll need to see more evidence before I can say anything.
    Last edited by Ben Grimm; 11/26/2009 10:27pm at .

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 11:05pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Nice find on the military thing! I'm glad the group was able to run that down.

My real concern is that of a fake Ph.D which is something that has been widely dealt with on this forum in the past. I also happen to think it is pretty stupid to make 7 year old kids go outside and do bare knuckle push-ups on the concrete but that may just be me and it is an ancillary part of this discussion from my viewpoint.
    It may be dumb but I don't see knuckle pushups as abusive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 1:25am

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning View Post
    It may be dumb but I don't see knuckle pushups as abusive.
    I can understand where you are coming from on that one. I do however think it is a bit much for a 7 or 8 year old kid to have to go outside and do 20 bare knuckle push-ups on the concrete and then run back in. Like I said though, I would presume there are parents there and if that is actually what is going on, they must be OK with it. Since it is not my place to tell them how to raise their kids I am content with leaving that well enough alone. That is why I would rather focus this on the possibility of the fake doctorate rather than the other stuff. Perhaps I should have left the rest out all together...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may not be useful information, as it's purely anecdotal, but I recognize two of the names from the "Gold Sealed and conferred" list for Wisconsin. Back when I was training more actively, which was admittedly several years ago now, I heard a few of my instructors and fellow students speak highly of Thomas Sipin's abilities. For those that want more than hearsay, I studied for a few months with Rob Serrano and found him to be a well-rounded and capable teacher. It's possible that there are some legitimate practioners in this group. If that's the case, I would encourage them to consider cutting their ties; Any organization that not only associates with Frank Dux but grants him a "doctorate" is probably best avoided.

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 1:40am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Any organization that not only associates with Frank Dux but grants him a "doctorate" is probably best avoided.
    They also granted Irving Soto a doctorate. I often wonder whether Soto and Dux ever met in the Kumite.

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 8:55am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed that I know a few of the PHD holders. One actually refers to himself as Dr. So-and-so...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 9:05am

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman View Post
    One actually refers to himself as Dr. So-and-so...
    That is what tipped me off to this whole thing. The fact that the person I discussed in the original post lists "Ph.D." after his name and refers to himself in his bio as "Doctor".

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 12:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You two do realize what the "D" in PhD stands for....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 12:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone may have their name on the list and not know it, the "University" may include legit Martial Artists to "cover" for the ones who bought a PHD. I recognize two names on the list and neither refers to themselves as a Dr.

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 9:36am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was, plenty of years back, a degree mill called Eurotechnical Research Institute offering degrees in martial arts, and managed to get a bunch of well-known practitioners of various arts to serve (at least on paper) as deans of various departments. And, to make everything sound more legitimate, they were all granted PhD's, essentially for 'time served' in their arts.

When the **** hit the fan about the degree mill, and people started asking uncomfortable questions, the aforementioned 'deans' suddenly had that deer-in-the-headlights look about it all - my thoughts at the time were that they either hadn't taken the fake degrees seriously, or didn't realize just how completely fake they were.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12