Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 1:54pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible diploma mill related to martial arts

I thought it might be interesting to those on here who enjoy calling these sort of people out. Moderators, if there is already a thread on this, or if you don't feel this is the proper place or worthy of investigation please feel free to remove this thread or merge it with a previous one if you feel it proper. I don't want to upset the apple cart. I did do a search of the B.S. forums and didn't get any hits but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something.

The University of Asian Martial Arts Study

My knowledge about this situation came about due to a thread started on another forum where I moderate. A 13 year old student came on asking questions about how to get her students (7 and 8 year old kids) to pay attention. She outlined several punishments endorsed by the instructor such as sending the kids outside to do knuckle push-ups on the concrete and that sort of thing. This, combined with the idea that a 13 year old would be in charge of instruction or handing out punishments in the first place caused several of us to start doing some digging. Also, in the way of a disclaimer, I used to live in La Crosse, WI and have actually visited this school to observe a class about 5 or 6 years ago. I was turned off by what I felt was a bit of a militaristic attitude in the school and by the head instructor and the fact that I was suspicious of the style being taught. I was a complete novice in terms of understanding martial arts culture at the time so you may wish to take that into consideration to color your interpretation of my experience.

The school in question is the Three Rivers Martial Arts Academy.

Something interesting which comes out of his bio statement is the following: In May 2005, Master Larry Klahn was asked by the United States Army to develop course in close quarter combat to teach the troops before they were deployed out to Iraq and combat zones worldwide. As was noted by one of the other moderators on the forum where this situation first came up, the Army has its own combatives program and had it in 2005. While certain units do bring in people to give them extra training the core system for the majority of the Army remains the same to my understanding.

If there is any other information that I can provide I would be happy to do so but at this point, you know virtually everything I know on the subject. I am well aware of the opinion of most on here as to Kyuki-do as a style and while I happen to agree with some of that, it would be my hope that this could stay focused on the claims of a doctorate from what appears to be a diploma mill rather than turning this into a style bashing thread.

Again Moderators, if you would rather I post this somewhere else or don't feel it is appropriate, just say the word or feel free to remove or relocate the thread as needed.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 11/26/2009 2:06pm at .

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 2:21pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I note it lists "Dr. Frank Dux" at the bottom of the page.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the 13 year old in charge of the class, or acting as an instructor while being supervised by an adult?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 2:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The impression that we all got was that her and her sibliing were placed in charge to "help" teach and the head instructor was in another area rather than directly supervising everything. Of course, that could be a misunderstanding. Either way, I have hard time imagining parents of a 7 year old child who would be comfortable with a 13 year old kind having the ability to punish them.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 11/26/2009 2:46pm at .

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 2:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like a much bigger problem than any bullshitting about credentials.

I don't want to over-react, but that may be a criminal problem?

EDIT: wait a sec, when you say another area, do you just mean another part of the room, or another room? If it's just another part of the room disregard my comment about criminality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No way of knowing on my part whether it is the same room or another. Regardless, I can't imagine that there are not some parents that stay and watch the class when their kids are in it so I doubt it is that big of a deal. Myself, I am more concerned with the diploma mill aspect as it is not my place to tell parents what to do with their kids.

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Regardless, I can't imagine that there are not some parents that stay and watch the class when their kids are in it so I doubt it is that big of a deal.
    I used to work as a primary school teacher's assistant, what you're describing sounds seriously dodgy. Way bigger than having a qualification from a degree mill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 5:21pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 6:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice find on the military thing! I'm glad the group was able to run that down.

My real concern is that of a fake Ph.D which is something that has been widely dealt with on this forum in the past. I also happen to think it is pretty stupid to make 7 year old kids go outside and do bare knuckle push-ups on the concrete but that may just be me and it is an ancillary part of this discussion from my viewpoint.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 11/26/2009 6:35pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 10:16pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was playing with the website address for the U of Asian Martial Arts and it seemed to automatically link to this place called "Universal Warrior Arts"
    http://www.uwmafa.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast