is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 11:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    I really don't get why people always bring up the troll thing whenever I ask a BJJ question, I am a newcomer, yes, but I'm serious when I ask questions.
    The problem is that you're not just asking questions, you're proclaiming your opinion with and alongside them.

I think you should be a bit more respectful.
    Proffering an uninformed and unsupported opinion is a form of disrespect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the second Shamrock vs. Gracie fight because Shamrock bragged for the rest of his career about all the short punches he landed from inside of Royce's guard.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 7:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well then let's talk about why Gracie vs Shamrock was so terrible... the announcer was saying that it was great but I really don't see what was great about it :sad3:
    Because they were both skilled fighters who didn't feel like taking any chances. Many boxing matches are equally long without anyone getting knocked out, this does not mean face-punching is ineffective.

I don't really understand why you would think that pure BJJ fighters having decreased success in MMA would influence what you chose to study for self defence? They all still study BJJ, but because everyone else does as well it's not quite so easy to use it as it once was. Pure anything has little success in modern, high-level MMA.

It is, however, still 1993 on the street, unless you're planning to get attacked by a lot of professional MMA fighters....

As to exciting grapplers who don't like pulling guard and stalling, try looking up Shinya Aoki or Demian Maia.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 9:51am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    I like the second Shamrock vs. Gracie fight because Shamrock bragged for the rest of his career about all the short punches he landed from inside of Royce's guard.

Yep: that's something I babble about at length in my history post regarding MMA and BJJ. Inside the Lion's Den (a biography/instructional book Shamrock did with Richard Hanner) claims that the draw "was a moral and strategic victory for Shamrock, who had used power and patience to dominate Gracie," then quotes commentator Bruce Beck: "Royce Gracie is a messóbut Shamrock looks marvellous."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot View Post
    Yep: that's something I babble about at length in my history post regarding MMA and BJJ. Inside the Lion's Den (a biography/instructional book Shamrock did with Richard Hanner) claims that the draw "was a moral and strategic victory for Shamrock, who had used power and patience to dominate Gracie," then quotes commentator Bruce Beck: "Royce Gracie is a messóbut Shamrock looks marvellous."
    It's hilarious. I own both books, and I figured he would brag about the one good punch he landed while standing, but he spends an inordinate amount of time talking about the short shots he landed. Not only that, but he also downplays everything Royce was trying to do.

Probably the worst part about it, though, was that he tried to make it look like a strategy to wear Royce out for the overtime restart. The big hole in that claim is that there were no plans before the fight to stand the fighters up.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bottom line, it was a 45 minute goat intercourse that changed MMA forever.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 1:24pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Osaka Peach, do you judge MMA striking by the early PRIDE and UFC events? No, right?
    Well I don't think anybody can belittle the striking power of Goodrige, Frye, and Abbott... to be honest with you, here are the complete list of the MMA event I've seen so far:

UFC 5-6-7-8-10 and the one with st-pierre vs penn 2
    Pride 1-2-3-4-5-31 and bushido 10

:icon_wink

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    The problem is that you're not just asking questions, you're proclaiming your opinion with and alongside them.

Proffering an uninformed and unsupported opinion is a form of disrespect.
    how is that? you cannot start off with the right opinion on everything without asking a few dumb questions to learn from your mistakes

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Because they were both skilled fighters who didn't feel like taking any chances. Many boxing matches are equally long without anyone getting knocked out, this does not mean face-punching is ineffective.

I don't really understand why you would think that pure BJJ fighters having decreased success in MMA would influence what you chose to study for self defence? They all still study BJJ, but because everyone else does as well it's not quite so easy to use it as it once was. Pure anything has little success in modern, high-level MMA.

It is, however, still 1993 on the street, unless you're planning to get attacked by a lot of professional MMA fighters....

As to exciting grapplers who don't like pulling guard and stalling, try looking up Shinya Aoki or Demian Maia.
    the way I understand it (maybe I'm wrong again, after all, seems like I'm dumb :sad5:) you DON'T want to take a streetfight to the ground. You use your BJJ knowledge only if all else fails and you get taken down anyway.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 1:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's situational IMO. If I'm 1v1 or we both have a similar number of friends then I might be the one going for the takedown and getting a superior position. Hell, under the right set of bizarre circumstances I would pull guard and sweep to get on top.
    If I have MORE friends around than the other guy then I would certainly be looking for the takedown.
    If I were outnumbered, but still fighting 1v1 for the moment, I would likely be looking to turn things into a track meet ASAP, so would not take the fight to the ground and would use my jits to get the **** up if I ended up there.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast