Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:27pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well then let's talk about why Gracie vs Shamrock was so terrible... the announcer was saying that it was great but I really don't see what was great about it :sad3:

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    I'd say that the main weakness of BJJ are that A) it's often cultish and B) most BJJ players suck at takedowns and prefer jumping to guard. I'd advise crosstraining, but I only know (and suck at) a little judo, so I can't comment much on this.
    Could you elaborate that cultish thingy?I'm not really getting it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:28pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    I guess the reason why I can't get out of any immobilization is lack of technique then, but I still can't get out of a wristlock so I guess I have a long way to go.
    Getting out of a wristlock is pretty much dependent on not getting wrist locked. IF a technique is completed properly you're not going to get out of it -- there's no way to get unarmbarred, unchoked, unpunched.

If you want to learn to deal with submissions, wrist locks included, i heavily advise seeking out somewhere that trains submission grappling or bjj with aliveness. Judo, sambo, mma, anything. When i had been training for only a couple of months a guy with a long background in cma started rolling with us sometimes. i got wristlocked once, and then it never happened again. Not to knock your instructors overall, but in my (limited) experience if you're training with whatsoever decent grapplers wristlocks are not something you should have to worry about.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:29pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are in Quebec, you might want to try to see if you are close to:
    460 Juge Guibeault
    Joliette, QC
    J6E 4W4

The Quebec Toe Hold Club. They teach Catch-wrestling there, which is different from BJJ. It's also a strong grappling art.
    YouTube- Quebec's Toe-Hold Club - Tournament Footage

It's a bit more takedown-heavy than BJJ, which seems to suit you. Their coach is the son of Alexander Iatskevitch, a legendary Russian Judo/sambo coach - it shows in their throws and takedowns.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:32pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    well then let's talk about why Gracie vs Shamrock was so terrible... the announcer was saying that it was great but I really don't see what was great about it :sad3:

This fight?

YouTube- YouTube - Royce Gracie vs Ken Shamrock(2)

What exactly *isnt* great about that? Even if you can't appreciate the groundfighting skill demonstrated by both of them, surely you can tell just by the fact that shamrock is not able to fight by his gameplan at all that royce is fantastic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprore View Post
    Getting out of a wristlock is pretty much dependent on not getting wrist locked. IF a technique is completed properly you're not going to get out of it -- there's no way to get unarmbarred, unchoked, unpunched.

If you want to learn to deal with submissions, wrist locks included, i heavily advise seeking out somewhere that trains submission grappling or bjj with aliveness. Judo, sambo, mma, anything. When i had been training for only a couple of months a guy with a long background in cma started rolling with us sometimes. i got wristlocked once, and then it never happened again. Not to knock your instructors overall, but in my (limited) experience if you're training with whatsoever decent grapplers wristlocks are not something you should have to worry about.
    Well I usually asked my brother to wristlock me and I try to get free, and have never succeeded to date :icon_cry: while when I wristlock him, he just waves his arm and free himself like nothing :new_let_i

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprore View Post
    This fight?

YouTube- YouTube - Royce Gracie vs Ken Shamrock(2)

What exactly *isnt* great about that? Even if you can't appreciate the groundfighting skill demonstrated by both of them, surely you can tell just by the fact that shamrock is not able to fight by his gameplan at all that royce is fantastic.
    that's Shamrock vs Gracie 1, actually

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation View Post
    If you are in Quebec, you might want to try to see if you are close to:
    460 Juge Guibeault
    Joliette, QC
    J6E 4W4

The Quebec Toe Hold Club. They teach Catch-wrestling there, which is different from BJJ. It's also a strong grappling art.
    YouTube- Quebec's Toe-Hold Club - Tournament Footage

It's a bit more takedown-heavy than BJJ, which seems to suit you. Their coach is the son of Alexander Iatskevitch, a legendary Russian Judo/sambo coach - it shows in their throws and takedowns.
    joliette is pretty far from where I live...

I did a little search and it seems two places teach BJJ; Quebec's martial arts academy (their main draw is Shaolin kung fu... can I trust them?) or the Nordick fight club, complete with it's outrageous fees and the fact that it's located at the far end of a suburb :sign12:

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    Could you elaborate that cultish thingy?I'm not really getting it.
    17 year old 3 month white belts acting high and mighty because Royce Gracie beat up a bunch of one-dimensional strikers in the early nineties, then acting all surprised when they go to a MMA gym and find people being fairly unimpressed with their guard-flopping tactics and crappy takedowns and simply punch them in the face.

BJJ is a fantastic style, but it's not some sort of magic bullet that will instantly transform you into a badass because of the number of patches on your newly-bought gi.

See also: Wing Chun Syndrome.
    Last edited by Shawarma; 11/25/2009 5:42pm at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shamrock/Gracie 1 was pretty entertaining stuff. Shamrock/Gracie 2 was thirty minutes of Shamrock laying in Gracie's guard without much happening. Shamrock roughed up Gracie's face some, but there were no memorable attempts at submissions--neither man really tried to end the fight. This is the fight in which Shamrock's father shouted from cageside, "Ken, if you're just going to lay on him all night, why don't you give him a big kiss?"
    Legend has it that Gracie looked up at Shamrock and said, "No, please don't do that."

That fight was the result of Shamrock knowing he didn't want to leave any openings for Gracie, and Gracie being confident that he could wear Shamrock down eventually. There was no wearing Shamrock down because he used relatively little energy, and neither man wanted to take any chances.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast