Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the whole Kung FU thing was a joke. Doesn't Roy Nelson have a school and teach BJJ?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 12:32pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho View Post
    How much more fucking awesome can someone get!!!

In the words of Hong Kong Kung Fu Film star Sammo Hung,
    "Not out of shape, just fat"
    安氏八极拳学生

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    I thought the whole Kung FU thing was a joke. Doesn't Roy Nelson have a school and teach BJJ?
    It's not a joke, it's just not as straight forward as all of us Kung Fu guys would like to believe. Roy studied Kung Fu seriously for 3-4 years, and then more casual after that (we studied at the same school, the Lohan School of Shaolin in Vegas). He's got experience in Northern Shaolin, Praying Mantis, Tai Chi (he's a fan of Chi Gung training), and a bit of Southern Shaolin.

But he's been doing BJJ much longer (he was doing both BJJ and Kung Fu for a while). When he lists Kung Fu as his style, it's more like saying his MMA is his "Kung Fu" (as in skill attained through hard work). He's learned a lot from Kung Fu, but the biggest lesson was to do what it takes to improve his own skills (our Sifu was/is very open to cross training in other styles).

Also, he doesn't have his own school yet. He's looking at a couple of places, but he was focused more on TUF.

On another note, I about had a nervous breakdown watching that fight. I flipped out when he landed that right hand at the end, and my hands wouldn't stop shaking for hours. I would have loved to see Roy just steamroll Schaub, just so I wouldn't have to freak out every time he landed a punch. But Brendan did a great job in that fight. He stopped several takedowns, plus his ground defense was solid. He was able to get up without suffering any damage, or without putting himself in any danger of submission.

Props to both of them for that great fight. I really hope they both do very well in the UFC.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 2:56pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Shaolin ain't fat, Shaolin ain't nothin'! Yóutiáo, man,yóutiáo. Check out what some REAL gongfu mastahs look like, grasshoppah!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson
    No love for Hung?

EDIT: And I hate to be a downer by Jones' GnP was horrible. The only thing that landed was ONE elbow accross the nose.
    Last edited by Zimmer; 12/06/2009 3:06pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong View Post
    It's not a joke, it's just not as straight forward as all of us Kung Fu guys would like to believe. Roy studied Kung Fu seriously for 3-4 years, and then more casual after that (we studied at the same school, the Lohan School of Shaolin in Vegas). He's got experience in Northern Shaolin, Praying Mantis, Tai Chi (he's a fan of Chi Gung training), and a bit of Southern Shaolin.

But he's been doing BJJ much longer (he was doing both BJJ and Kung Fu for a while). When he lists Kung Fu as his style, it's more like saying his MMA is his "Kung Fu" (as in skill attained through hard work). He's learned a lot from Kung Fu, but the biggest lesson was to do what it takes to improve his own skills (our Sifu was/is very open to cross training in other styles).

Also, he doesn't have his own school yet. He's looking at a couple of places, but he was focused more on TUF.

On another note, I about had a nervous breakdown watching that fight. I flipped out when he landed that right hand at the end, and my hands wouldn't stop shaking for hours. I would have loved to see Roy just steamroll Schaub, just so I wouldn't have to freak out every time he landed a punch. But Brendan did a great job in that fight. He stopped several takedowns, plus his ground defense was solid. He was able to get up without suffering any damage, or without putting himself in any danger of submission.

Props to both of them for that great fight. I really hope they both do very well in the UFC.
    Very interesting! Thanks for the correction!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 3:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    EDIT: And I hate to be a downer by Jones' GnP was horrible. The only thing that landed was ONE elbow accross the nose.
    You must have been watching a different fight. The thing where he'd grab one of Hamill's hands and then drop elbows with the same arm was super slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 3:46pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    You must have been watching a different fight. The thing where he'd grab one of Hamill's hands and then drop elbows with the same arm was super slick.
    If they landed, did you not watch the slow-mo replay?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Condition much?

Actually, I am glad for Kimbo and it was nice to see him pull off the suplex/sulto = what ever they are calling it these days, a couple of times. The first round was very annoying to watch..Kimbo should at least know how to cut off the ring on someone by now. But hey, he won the fight and almost KO'd him. He had better learn how to check those leg kicks too...
    Obviusly, he still has a lot of work to do.But give the guy credit, he's realisitc about his abilities and I have never seen him be anything but humble since he started doing MMA.
    I wish him well.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 4:13pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird. Houston, a normally aggressive fighter circling & not strikung at all exept for slappy inside leg kicks. Letting Kimbo up after luckily tripping him with a leg kick. And not shooting once. It's not exactly a secret that Kimbo is a decent brawler with no skills or good instincts on the ground. I can't think of too many light-heavys who'd rather stand with him instead of taking it to the ground.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except that Houston has even less ground skills then Kimbo. It makes sense in that light.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast