Posted On:
    12/08/2009 10:08am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey View Post
    Yes.

Horizontal, downward, upward, etc... are directions in relation to your own body. Not the ceiling or the floor.

Anyway, the reality is that the DQ was unjustified.

Points were docked for the illegal blow and then Hammil could not continue due to his shoulder, and said as much, not due to his face from those elbows. Therefore Jones should have gotten the W.
    The problem is it wasn't stopped because of the shoulder. Mazzagatti saw the facial trauma and asked if he could continue. With no response he stopped it. After watching the instant replay it was determined said facial trauma was caused by the illegal blows. According the the rules intentional fouls ending a fight result in a DQ. The problem, that hasn't been brought up is, hamill obviously couldn't see him to read his lips as he asked if he could continue, and he of course couldn't hear him. Had he been able to see the question being asked he might have said, "My shoulder is f'ed, I can't continue"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 10:16am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey View Post
    Yes.

Horizontal, downward, upward, etc... are directions in relation to your own body. Not the ceiling or the floor.
    In general it's much easier to define these directions using gravity.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 10:18am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    The problem is it wasn't stopped because of the shoulder. Mazzagatti saw the facial trauma and asked if he could continue. With no response he stopped it. After watching the instant replay it was determined said facial trauma was caused by the illegal blows. According the the rules intentional fouls ending a fight result in a DQ. The problem, that hasn't been brought up is, hamill obviously couldn't see him to read his lips as he asked if he could continue, and he of course couldn't hear him. Had he been able to see the question being asked he might have said, "My shoulder is f'ed, I can't continue"
    You do realise when a fighter can't see out of both eyes it's time to stop the fight?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 10:43am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    You do realise when a fighter can't see out of both eyes it's time to stop the fight?
    exactly. I was just making the point that, that is why it was stopped, not because hamill said anything about his shoulder. It was quite obvious he couldn't see. I guess my point wasn't that clear.

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 11:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    exactly. I was just making the point that, that is why it was stopped, not because hamill said anything about his shoulder. It was quite obvious he couldn't see. I guess my point wasn't that clear.
    Yeah as far as i'm aware the shoulder thing didn't come up until the post fight interview.

I think we need to remember another couple of things.

Hamil chose not to tap out despite the shoulder injury so it didn't end the fight.

The fight was stopped because he couldn't see therefore the shoulder injury is a moot point.

Also we have to remember that Matt Hamill's speech is difficult to understand at the best of times (hence him having subtitles) and after having been on the recieving end of the ground and pound he was, even more so. Had he tried to tell the referee about his shoulder I doubt he would have been understood.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 1:10pm

Style: Hap Ki Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Also we have to remember that Matt Hamill's speech is difficult to understand at the best of times (hence him having subtitles) and after having been on the recieving end of the ground and pound he was, even more so. Had he tried to tell the referee about his shoulder I doubt he would have been understood.
    As another Deaf MMA practitioner, I'm saddened by the lack of logic in above statement. While it's true he might not be easily understood verbally, I wouldn't know. But from personal experience, when I get into a match with someone, I make sure to talk to the referee beforehand and say words such as "TAP OUT!" so at least I don't need to use the hand to tap out. It might be hard for Matt Hamill and myself to communicate an entire Shakespeare play, but we can at least muster out some kind of legible "I QUIT!".

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainsforth View Post
    As another Deaf MMA practitioner, I'm saddened by the lack of logic in above statement. While it's true he might not be easily understood verbally, I wouldn't know. But from personal experience, when I get into a match with someone, I make sure to talk to the referee beforehand and say words such as "TAP OUT!" so at least I don't need to use the hand to tap out. It might be hard for Matt Hamill and myself to communicate an entire Shakespeare play, but we can at least muster out some kind of legible "I QUIT!".
    No offence intended, i'm in no way trying to belittle his disability. But I was also taking into account the amount of crowd noise, Hamill's state, and the fact that he couldn't actually see what was happening. So he had no idea if anyone was asking him anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 1:52pm

Style: Hap Ki Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offence intended, i'm in no way trying to belittle his disability. But I was also taking into account the amount of crowd noise, Hamill's state, and the fact that he couldn't actually see what was happening. So he had no idea if anyone was asking him anything.
    If Hamill wanted to tap out at any point, assuming he wasn't unconscious, he would have. I was just pointing out that tapping by hand isn't the only way a Deaf MMA can tap out. I doubt anyone was verbally asking him anything. However, the little shake on his chest would have meant the referee was checking up on him to see if he was still conscious. It's the Deaf substitute for "are you ok?". He was probably still conscious and assumed, like everyone else watching, that the fight ended by referee and he had lost.
    Last edited by Rainsforth; 12/08/2009 1:54pm at . Reason: deleting retarded paragraph

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 1:53pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JuHo Ho HOWNED View Post
    Source? Seriously, I think this is one of those things that SOUNDS like common sense, but really isn't. We're talking such small objects traveling such a short space, I doubt gravity has any bearing at all. I mean, it's not like we're talking about doing some pro wrestling elbow drop off the turnbuckle.
    I don’t know whether the gravity argument holds any water or not, but it really isn’t this stupid, you know. If I sit in mount and drive an elbow down, I can drop much of my body weight into it. Gravity acts on the mass of my entire upper body dropping down a short distance to power the strike, not just the striking limb. Whether that’s enough to be significant is not for a striking incompetent like myself to say, but I doubt anyone is arguing that the effect of gravity on a falling arm is a determining factor.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    12/08/2009 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainsforth View Post
    If Hamill wanted to tap out at any point, assuming he wasn't unconscious, he would have. I was just pointing out that tapping by hand isn't the only way a Deaf MMA can tap out. I doubt anyone was verbally asking him anything.
    Steve Mazzagatti verbally asked him if he was able to continue. When he recieved no answer he stopped the fight.
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19 LastLast