Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 2:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone else feel like the Jones-Hamill fight should have been called much sooner than it was? It seemed to me like Jones was pounding on Hamill like a maniac for a long-ass time, to the point where he was looking up to the ref expectantly, practically asking "what else do you expect me to do?" Yes, he broke the rules, and learned a hard lesson in the process. It just seems to me that the entire situation would have been avoided if they had called it earlier, because Hamill was clearly unable to make any meaningful attempts at escape or defense during much of the pounding he was receiving, even before the illegal elbows were thrown.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 2:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stopping it any earlier would've been an awful, awful stoppage.

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey View Post
    Wait, so downward elbows are only illegal in relation to where the ceiling is?!?!

What a retarded rule.
    1. They're not "downward" if they're not going away from the ceiling. That's what downward means. Downward elbows can never, ever go towards the ceiling.

2. Upkicks are legal and headstomps aren't.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't at all suspicious until after the fight.
    Would you still have been suspicious if you didn't know about the deal Elite Xc supposedly tried to cut with Seth Petruzelli?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 10:40am

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    1. They're not "downward" if they're not going away from the ceiling. That's what downward means. Downward elbows can never, ever go towards the ceiling.

2. Upkicks are legal and headstomps aren't.
    1) Are you being serious here or just trying to argue semantics? Bringing your elbow from shoulder level to abdomen level is what makes something a 'downward' strike. It uses the same muscles to power it regardless if you are standing, laying down, on your side, etc... where the fucking ceiling is has no bearing on anything in the real world. Hence my confusion at the rule.

2) You are right, they aren't. But that is an entriely different conversation with a different rationale.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 11:13am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Are you being serious here or just trying to argue semantics? Bringing your elbow from shoulder level to abdomen level is what makes something a 'downward' strike. It uses the same muscles to power it regardless if you are standing, laying down, on your side, etc... where the fucking ceiling is has no bearing on anything in the real world. Hence my confusion at the rule.
    You're forgetting about gravity.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 2:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho View Post
    It's been a long time since people discovered that the ability to be a combat sports athlete is not necessarily related to having a six pack.
    Yup... Mighty Fedor can prove it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
    You're forgetting about gravity.
    You mean the same gravity that adds the same force to elbows from any angle?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 2:28pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean the same gravity that adds the same force to elbows from any angle?
    So, if I have a guy in my guard and I drill him with an elbow in the top of his head using the same motion I would for a downward elbow while standing gravity is having the same effect? No, of course not. The shoulder to waist movement on my back has no effect from gravity whatsoever.

edit: in fact it could be argued it hurts the momentum as I have to fight gravity to keep my elbow moving in the horizontal direction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 3:00pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Would you still have been suspicious if you didn't know about the deal Elite Xc supposedly tried to cut with Seth Petruzelli?"

I don't know. Mabe not. Before then I would've assumed that a full-on work was the only way to tamper with things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2009 4:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    So, if I have a guy in my guard and I drill him with an elbow in the top of his head using the same motion I would for a downward elbow while standing gravity is having the same effect? No, of course not. The shoulder to waist movement on my back has no effect from gravity whatsoever.

edit: in fact it could be argued it hurts the momentum as I have to fight gravity to keep my elbow moving in the horizontal direction.
    No, what I meant was gravity adds the same force to a downward elbow when you are on top as it does to a horizontal elbow.

The point being if gravity is the reason something is illegal than *any* punch/elbow from the top position would also be illegal for the same reason not just a downward elbow.