Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith View Post
    The way you said "Anyone else realize Jon Jones was elbowing a deaf guy in the eyes?" seemed to me like you're saying this was a dickish thing to do because he's deaf, not because it's against the rules of the contest. I guess it could be dickish being that you're potentially taking away a vital sense (sight) from a guy who's already down one, but had those elbows been lateral it would be legal and we've already agreed that Hammil deserves not special treatment for being deaf (aside from the ref sigalling being in a method he can understand).
    I was not the creator of that quote and cannot speak for the person who said it, but I merely assumed he was using it as an adjective (which does seem admittably crass to me). Hammil is a warrior and an inspiration and I agree he would likely be insulted by any offer to handicap his fights. That being said, I'm not sure why Jones decided to go for the elbow strikes as he did, because as commentators said-there are other just as damaging strikes that can be performed from the mount that are not in violation of the rules. If Jones was not aware these strikes were fouls, he has no business professional fighting or he is going to end up hurting someone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 6:49pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Yes, but that doesn't mean we have to call conspiracy theory on every single fight he has."

True. I don't. But when a much smaller fighter who's vastly outgunned in standup never tries to take it to the ground where Kimbo is famously weak, I get suspicious. Houston's just standing there like it was a sparring session when Kimbo dropped from a leg kick reinforced my suspicion.

I remember rolling my eyes at all the whining on the boards about Dana supposedly looking for a way to bring Kimbo back on TUF after fatboy beat him. But I don't see Dana as being any less cynical or greedy than Elite XC was, so I don't think I'm out of line half-suspecting bullshit here when you take it all into account.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 6:50pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrydog View Post
    When Roy won I considered quiting training. This out of shape blob throwing Haymakers and landing a lucky right just got declared The Ultimate fighter over someone who had definitive striking ability and was in shape. I guess thats where luck comes in to a fight.
    How many times does this guy have to win before you people will admit that he's a good fighter? Watch his fight with Wren on the show; Wren had the faster hands but Roy was spot on with controlling the distance and ended up picking him apart. That's called being a good and experienced boxer. Roy had a huge reach disadvantage against Schaub and managed to used his excellent foot speed (believe it) to get inside when Schaub was backing straight up (which he had done at least twice before with good right hands before the KO). That's called recognizing a weakness and capitalizing.

Nelson will probably never go right out there and destroy guys in the first minute, but he knows how to find weaknesses and adjust, is athletic enough to be able implement his adjustments and is tough enough to be able to make it to the point where he can execute. That makes him a good fighter.

I can't believe that there are still people who have the idea that how you look determines if you can fight or not. Wasn't that the whole point of UFC 1 and the little un-athletic guy beating up all the giant dudes with big arms? Roy is no different except his visual weakness can actually be used as a strength on the ground.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 6:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JuHo Ho HOWNED View Post
    And lol @ the UFC pulling an EliteXC and putting Kimbo against a guy with no ground and that is clearly a full weight class lighter.
    When did this happen?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 7:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Seth Petruzelli fight where he got knocked out. Seth was a light-heavy too. To be fair, he was a late sub for Ken Shamrock. That would be a good next fight.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seth Petruzelli has "no ground"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point. I honestly don't know. He's 11-4 in mma so I suspect he does. I've only seen him in the Kimbo fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 7:43pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm out of the loop here. What's the reasoning behind vertical elbows being illegal? It seems goofy.

Also why is this foul
    Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    never actually enforced?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True. I don't. But when a much smaller fighter who's vastly outgunned in standup never tries to take it to the ground where Kimbo is famously weak, I get suspicious.
    Houston wasn't "vastly outgunned" in striking. The fact that he floored Kimbo with a kick is a testament to that. The only area where Houston was vastly outgunned in was grappling. Houston Alexander's ground game, incidentally, is also famously weak.

Taking Kimbo to the ground would've been a really good gameplan if Houston actually had a ground game. But he doesn't, so he decided to focus his attention on an other area in which Kimbo is weak: Leg kicks. Houston is much better at kicking than he is at grappling (He won his last fight by a leg kick TKO). Unfortunately, the way in which he executed his plan of attack against Kimbo was really crappy, which is one reason why he lost.

Houston's just standing there like it was a sparring session when Kimbo dropped from a leg kick reinforced my suspicion.
    Sometimes fighters just **** up and hesitate. The same thing has happened to me in competition, and probably anyone on this board who's ever been in a tournament. It's not all that uncommon, especially when you're as tired as Houston was and something really big happens that makes you go "Holy ****!"

I remember rolling my eyes at all the whining on the boards about Dana supposedly looking for a way to bring Kimbo back on TUF after fatboy beat him. But I don't see Dana as being any less cynical or greedy than Elite XC was, so I don't think I'm out of line half-suspecting bullshit here when you take it all into account.
    I have taken it all into account, and I think you were watching the fight with the expectation that it was going to be fixed. If Dana had actually paid Houston to lose, I'd think he'd want him to go down in the first round to make Kimbo look good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2009 8:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't expect a fix. Houston's circling & slappy leg kicks got me thinking. And last time I remember hearing of someone trying to "fix" an mma fight, they just asked one of the fighters to keep it on their feet. No scripts necessary.
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast