Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 7:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question for instructors - WRT students with racist views

This is something that's just come up on another thread (the Ralph Severe thread in MABS, for anyone that's not been following it) and I thought that it might make an interesting topic for discussion here.

Students (or trainers working under you) whom you discover to hold racist, or other irrational bigoted views, which they regularly espouse outside of training - what (if anything) do you do about them, once you become aware of the situation?

• Kick them out immediately?
    • Tell them that they'd better leave that **** at the door of the dojo - or else?
    • Have a damn good shot at choking/beating it out of them on the mat?
    • Leave them be unless they're doing it whilst representing the school (say whilst wearing a school t-shirt or running their mouths online with the school's website linked in their profiles)?
    • Something else?
    • etc.?
    • Blah?

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One, possibly three. But then I doubt a nazi would want to learn under an ARA guy like me.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 8:15pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I decend partially from an Israeli geneology, I am going with beat the crap out of them, then kick them out of my school.

I would have said choke them out, but I don't teach grappling. So, I will stick to removing a few of their teeth.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "no politics on my mats."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 8:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was following that thread too. As much as I have lost respect for Ralph Severe, I definetly do not wish upon him the responsibility of dealing with Mountainous. Mountainous is very vocal, even more so than Ralph on Youtube. So he poses a big problem for ralph and the MA community in general. As for what to do here is my opinion

• Kick them out immediately?

Not going to solve the problem

• Tell them that they'd better leave that **** at the door of the dojo - or else?

Definitely, but he should still address the core of the issue with the student.

• Have a damn good shot at choking/beating it out of them on the mat?

Couldn't hurt, but wouldn't help

• Leave them be unless they're doing it whilst representing the school (say whilst wearing a school t-shirt or running their mouths online with the school's website linked in their profiles)?

Definitely not!!

This is something that he should take him aside and deal with all these issues with him. If it were me I would take the student aside and have a long ass talk about why this **** is wrong, and why he under no circumstances should feel/act/write that way ever again.

If I was a really successful teacher (who didnt have the time) I would give him an ultimatum of completely stopping this kind of BS or else get out of the Dojo. I wouldn't kick him/her out immediately because Martial Art is also about charater development, and hopefully s/he can work on their character development under my watchful eye. If you just kick them out, all you are doing is sending another racist onto the street.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 9:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post
    If I was a really successful teacher (who didnt have the time) I would give him an ultimatum of completely stopping this kind of BS or else get out of the Dojo. I wouldn't kick him/her out immediately because Martial Art is also about charater development, and hopefully s/he can work on their character development under my watchful eye. If you just kick them out, all you are doing is sending another racist onto the street.
    I agree...many people build a very high level of respect for their instructors very quickly. If they are stubborn, insistent, and overall just a jackass, then they should be kicked out.

Kicking their teeth in isn't going to do anything but put the instructor in a position to get sued. Even Nazis have lawyers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post
    This is something that he should take him aside and deal with all these issues with him. If it were me I would take the student aside and have a long ass talk about why this **** is wrong, and why he under no circumstances should feel/act/write that way ever again.

Very good points and very well said. I agree completely.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2010 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once received a letter from a prison inmate who had read that I taught "European martial arts", assumed that was code for "white power martial arts" and asked me to teach him when he was released. I won't go into the reason why he was incarcerated, but it was enough that I'd never consider teaching him. I explained that in polite but forthright terms in a reply letter and never heard from him again.

In a hypothetical scenario in which an actual student was found to hold those views, I'd confront the student and explain that I had a serious ethical problem with teaching them combat skills, then give them the option of changing or leaving. However, *if* they claimed to change their ways and wanted to stay, I'm not at all sure that I'd be able to believe them. How could they prove it?

I hope I'm never in that position.

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 1:38am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** that. If they hold views against a race, find some high level practitioners of that race of your art and invite them for a little re education session. Wouldn't do a bit of good, but post video anyway.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    2/28/2010 4:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if they really have a problem after sweating and bleeding with their diverse training partners then they can't be saved IMO they shouldn't be allowed to train, you're teaching a real (and by real I mean up front) racist to hurt people.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast