Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 11:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scott Smith's strike defense starts at his face, so this should be interesting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 12:03pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the much debated Cung Le returns?

Cung Le talks Strikeforce return
    By Mick Hammond/MMAWeekly.com
    Nov 10, 7:51 pm EST

What was one of MMAs busiest weekends, which featured two Strikeforce events in two separate states sandwich a Sengoku show from Japan, one of the biggest happenings was something that took place outside the ring.

After more than 20 months away from the fight game, onetime Strikeforce middleweight Champion Cung Le made the surprise announcement that he would be returning to action in December to take on the ever-dangerous Scott Hands of Steel Smith.

I wasnt planning to fight this year, Le admitted to MMAWeekly.com. I was getting ready to do a movie, a project that Ive been working on from scratch working with a writer on a script, getting a director and the project got pushed to next year.

My plan was to come back after I finished this project and start training to get back into the cage next year, but when I found out a couple weeks ago that the project would be pushed to next year, I spoke to (Strikeforce promoter) Scott Coker, and he asked me if Id be interested in coming back.

From there things quickly escalated into Le making his return to fighting, with the approval of one of his trainers.

I wasnt far from being out of fight shape, because Ive been training with fighters when I had the time, said Le. (I was) getting Anthony Johnson ready for his fights, James Terry, and a bunch of other fighters.

The first couple weeks went well, and Javier Mendez gave me the green light, thinking I would be fine to get back in and do a super fight.

And what a fight it will be, as Le steps in to face possibly the most dangerous fight of his career in Scott Smith.

I think its going to be a fantastic fight, he exclaimed. Scott Smith always comes to fight. Were two exciting fighters who like to stand up and put on a show.

While people are happy to hear of Les return to MMA, one cant help but wonder what if he hadnt relinquished his title, which was claimed by Jake Shields about 24 hours after Les return announcement.

I knew what I was doing, said Le. I didnt want to do (just fighting or acting), I wanted to do both, and to do that I had to make sacrifices and thats what I did.

Life doesnt work out the way you want it to sometimes, you have to go with the flow, and thats what Im doing. If my (winning) streak keeps going good, then maybe Ill come back and make a run at it.

With two highly anticipated films due in China over the next several months, and an original project in the pipeline, its not clear whether or not Le will be able to commit to a full-time fight career in the coming year, but he remains optimistic.

I know there are a lot of people who thought I wouldnt return; well they can eat their words now, he stated. Im going to fight in December, and then Im going to try to push this project, and then get in another fight next year or maybe two.

Im not going to overlook Scott Smith, hes one of those dangerous fighters who has a powerful punch and is a game fighter. Ive got to treat this like a title fight, and whatever happens after this fight, happens. Right now Ive just got to take it one fight at a time and see how it goes.
    It will interesting to see how this plays out, I expect a pretty good bout.

If Smith is smart, he won't play the stand up game with Le. He should fight to the unknown part of Le's game (and capitalize on it) the way Shogun did to Machida.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    If Smith is smart, he won't play the stand up game with Le. He should fight to the unknown part of Le's game (and capitalize on it) the way Shogun did to Machida.
    1) Smith is a terrible wrestler and even worse ground fighter; him attempting to take the fight to the ground against Le would be a waste of time and energy

2) "The way Shogun did to Machida"? What was the "unknown" part of Machida's game that Shogun fought to?
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Smith really can't/won't take the fight to the ground, I don't see how he has a chance to win at all.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    If Smith really can't/won't take the fight to the ground, I don't see how he has a chance to win at all.
    Now you're understanding why they made this matchup.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 4:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point, Condekeeza Mice gets it.

Cung is a greco-roman badass, people seem to forget that real easy.

Le by Americana.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Cung is a greco-roman badass, people seem to forget that real easy.
    People say this a lot but what did he ever actually do in greco?
    (Not saying he's not just that the information doesn't seem to be immediately available. The most I can find is some mild HS and JC success)

Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Le by Americana.
    Ha!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 11:24am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    1) Smith is a terrible wrestler and even worse ground fighter; him attempting to take the fight to the ground against Le would be a waste of time and energy

2) "The way Shogun did to Machida"? What was the "unknown" part of Machida's game that Shogun fought to?
    1. Okay then he has no chance and Le will own him.
    (But we haven't seen anyone take Le out of his element, it has all been stand and bang. So putting Le on the ground would put him in unfamiliar territory. Even if the action stalls out and neither fighter is advancing their position, we will get to see how Le reacts.)

2. Well maybe unknown isn't the word to use; However no-one had punished Machida's legs the way Rua did and severely hamper his mobility and took his ability to kick all but out out of the equation.

Which is what no-one had done before, but Rua did and capitalized on it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 11:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got Le via kicking until an arm breaks FTW...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I predict Scott Smith will win because kung-fu sucks.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast