Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NE US Judo tourney using pre-1974 Rules.

Anyone up for some old school judo?

My sensei sent this my way and I figured some of the NE bullies, be they Judoka or BJJ Players, would be interested in this.

As far as I can tell, the only technique that is prohibited is Flying Waki gatame.

http://stamfordjudo.us/classic_rules..._championships

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford Judo
    CLASSIC RULES WORLD JUDO CHAMPIONSHIPS

Preserving Traditional Judo
    First Annual Contest: March 21st, 2010

A tournament that will score only for a true
    IPPON & WAZA-ARI

Stamford Judo
    Presents and Sponsors
    the Unique
    Classic Rules World
    Judo Championships
    NOT THE PRESENT DAY IPPON
    (WHICH IS TODAY'S YUKO)
    AND WAZA-ARI
    (WHICH IS TODAY'S KOKA)

Tournament Information

WHEN: The 2010 Classic Rules World Judo Championships will be held on Sunday, March 21st, 2010.

PLACE: Salesian High School
    148 East Main Street
    New Rochelle, NY 10801
    U.S.A.

MAILING ADDRESS:

Classic Rules World Judo Championships
    P.O. Box 708
    Redding, CT 06896 U.S.A.

SANCTION: USJA: Sanction 09-076

ELIGIBILITY: Any adult male judoka. (Males only.)

SHIAI (MENíS) DIVISION:

- Shiai Contests: 11:00 a.m. Contest duration - 5 minutes

AWARDS: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place Classic Rules World Judo Championships 2010 awards for each weight division. Note: Two third places will be awarded.

ENTRY FEE: $100.00 per person if completed application and payment are received before January 1, 2010. $150.00 if received afterwards. There will be NO REFUNDS. Registration is not complete until payment is received.
    SPECTATOR FEE: $20.00 collected at the door.

RULES: Modified IJF Rules

IJF CONTEST RULE MODIFICATIONS:

- Article 3 (Judogi) White giís only

- Article 16 (Appendix) Pre-1974. Hikikomi to newaza is permissible, but generally will not receive a score of waza-ari or ippon. Adequate time to be given to allow newaza to develop unless contestants are in deadlock.

- Article 24 (Yuko) Pre-1974. There will be no Yuko.

- Article 25 (Koka) Pre-1974. There will be no Koka

- Article 27 (Prohibited Acts) Pre-1974. No penalties, except for unsportsmanlike conduct and unsafe acts, such as flying wakegatame. No Stalling penalties. Any kind of grips permitted. Any kind of defensive or offensive posture permitted.

- If there are any conflicts in the Rules, pre-1974 Rules will apply.

Please Note:

- The Tournament will return to the ippon score of yore whereby the full point will be required to have dramatic force;
    - No score for take down techniques employed to take an opponent into grappling mode (a.k.a. newaza); scores must be aerial;
    - No quick stoppage of the transition to newaza;
    - To allow newaza to continue unless there is a deadlock whereby it is clear to the referee that the opponents in newaza are no longer able to make any advancement;
    - There will be sufficient allowance for time for the opponents to vie for their starting grip.
    - Also, as newaza will have a greater opportunity, the tournament directors encourage practitioners of ju-jutsu (jiu-jitsu) to enter.
    - The tournament will not end in the middle of a technique. Should a contestant begin a technique (including newaza), the end of the contest will not occur until the attempt of the technique (including a newaza technique) is completed.

ELIMINATION METHOD: Pool with Straight Eliminations
    Step 1 - Four man pool - if athlete wins twice, athlete advances. Step 2 - Straight elimination to Finals; there will be two third places.

WEIGHT CLASS DIVISIONS (IJF): Male: (kg) 60, 66, 73, 81, 90, 100, 100+, Open (All competitors may compete in Open division without additional charge. OPEN DIVISION will be run at the end of the tournament.)

REGISTRATION AND OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN: March 21, 2010 at the tournament site, from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Scales will be available to check weight from 7:00 a.m.

START TIME: 11:00 A.M.

TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR: Chris Angle

TOURNAMENT MANAGER: George Pasiuk

CHIEF REFEREE: To be announced.
    MASTERS DIVISION:

- Masters: 12:00 p.m. Contest duration - 3 minutes
    - Same Contest Rules as Menís Division
    - Contest Duration: 3 minutes

Age Divisions:

Codes: M1 35-39, M2 40-44, M3 45-49, M4 50-54, M5 55-59, M6 60-64, M7 65-69, M8 70-74, M9 75-79, M10 80 plus

Weight Categories (I.J.F. Weight Categories)

Male
    60 kg and under
    66 kg "
    73 kg "
    81 kg "
    90 kg "
    100 kg and over

Masters Eligibility

- All requirements below must be satisfied.
    - Within your age division on the 21st day of March, 2010 which is the day of the event.
    - At the time of the entry there must be proof of current membership of a National Federation.
    - Payment of all entry fees in full at the time of entry.
    - Note: Signing of a form which waivers all responsibility in respect to participation in the event. This form will be available at Registration.
    - All players are strongly advised to have adequate travel and medical insurance, which specifically covers participation in judo.

Entries: All entries should be on the entry form (which may be cut 'n' pasted, photocopied, or scanned) and sent or faxed to:

P.O. Box 708
    Redding, CT 06896 U.S.A.
    Telephone: (203) 409-3915
    Fax: (203) 286-2356
    E-mail: chrisangle1@gmail.com

Competition

Individual Weight Categories will have a competition if there are two or more entries. If there are less than two entries, the category will be combined with another weight.

ACCOMMODATIONS: There are two excellent hotels in New Rochelle. New Rochelle is 45 minutes by train (MetroNorth Line) from New York's Grand Central Station. Hotels and Tournament Site are within walking distance.

Radisson Hotel: One Radisson Plaza, New Rochelle, NY
    Residence Inn: 35 Le Count Place, New Rochelle, NY

The following must be completed and submitted to register for the Classic Rules World Judo Championships.

Registration Fee - $100 for pre-registration, $150 after December 31st, 2009

Make Checks Payable to: Classic Rules Judo

Mail Registration to:

P.O. Box 708
    Redding, CT 06896
    Telephone number: 203-327-6665 Stamford Judo
    Tournament director: 203-253-2008
    Email: chrisangle1@gmail.com
    Fax: 203-286-2356

For other payment methods such as by credit card send relevant information to: "chrisangle1@gmail.com"

FAQ'S

- Will there be a camp following the competition?

Yes. During the next two days following the competition there will be a camp held at San Yama Bushi Judo Club (New Rochelle) on that Monday immediately following the tournament starting at 6:30 p.m. and at the Stamford Judo Club (Stamford, CT) on that Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

- Will I be able to register at registration time?

Yes, forms will be available.

- May anyone enter?

Yes, it is an open tournament. The winner will be declared the Classic Rules World Judo Champion in his respective weight class.

Anyone up for some old school judo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 8:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sunday March 21st in New Rochelle.

That sounds like something I want to do.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 8:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! I'm drooling.

I would totally do this, hope work/$ is steady!!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm registering for it at my sensei's behest, because he knows I am not a big fan of the current ruleset.

They even stated that they will welcome JJ players as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 9:15am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blimey, $100 entry. is this a normal fee?
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    Blimey, $100 entry. is this a normal fee?
    yeah, that seems to be a bit much. for that much money, i would expect a *stellar* event: pristine mats, very well organized, locker room with amenities, etc etc.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 9:35am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only problem I have with this is the "world" championships. If you can walk in that day and pay to enter it is not a world championships.

Again "classic" rules are crap just use the rules we have now and score ippon like it should be speed, force, LARGELY ON THE BACK AND WITH CONTROL.

No yuko is going to make close matches. Extended mat time can be done at any tournament with a good ref meeting.

Gripping rules are in place to keep slap matches from happening.

All in all it's a lame attempt to people rebel against the current structure of Judo. Which is not needed. BJJ players will not want to compete in Judo as long as there is an ippon rule. Remove the ippon rule and what do you have? A BJJ tournament.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 9:54am

Style: Sōsetsuken

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Only problem I have with this is the "world" championships. If you can walk in that day and pay to enter it is not a world championships.

Again "classic" rules are crap just use the rules we have now and score ippon like it should be speed, force, LARGELY ON THE BACK AND WITH CONTROL.

No yuko is going to make close matches. Extended mat time can be done at any tournament with a good ref meeting.

Gripping rules are in place to keep slap matches from happening.

All in all it's a lame attempt to people rebel against the current structure of Judo. Which is not needed. BJJ players will not want to compete in Judo as long as there is an ippon rule. Remove the ippon rule and what do you have? A BJJ tournament.

Agree with Josh,

$100 ? For what? I could compete at Starette or Liberty Bell for half that and chances are I would get a much better work out than I would at this "Classic" Shiai.

There is a also the issue of points. A lot of decent players are simply not going to be interested in competing if they are not going to get due credit for their wins.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 10:14am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may be just what I need to get back into training....
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 12:26pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    BJJ players will not want to compete in Judo as long as there is an ippon rule. Remove the ippon rule and what do you have? A BJJ tournament.
    As a BJJ player, & knowing full well that I'm unlikely to be getting a win by ippon, I have no problem with the ippon rule so long as ippon is defined as a throw that puts me airborne, lands me flat & hard & lands the guy throwing me in a demonstrably secure pin. What would bother me is the sort of ippons where there's a big throw & because it's a big throw the aggressor knows he's going to win & so doesn't bother landing in a secure position.

I think the greater difficulty in having mixed Judo/BJJ competitions is simply the uneven nature of stand-up & ground skills. There are certainly exceptions, but in general, a BJJ player who's equal on the feet to a judo player will be superior on the ground & a BJJ player who's equal on the ground to a Judo player will be much worse on the feet. So, it's hard to fit people into appropriate skill brackets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast